Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
TBR lists

When you have a large 'to read list' and the options are quite overwhelming with so many novels to choose from how do you pick what to read next?

Do you stay within the genre you are currently reading - or stick with the same author? Switch genres depending on the mood? Pick a book at random or do you have a set list?

My TBR list is constantly getting bigger and I sometimes find it difficult to choose a novel when so many are screaming out to me!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
When you have a large 'to read list' and the options are quite overwhelming with so many novels to choose from how do you pick what to read next?
I tend to mix it up a bit rather than sticking to one genre or author. I also try to read books that have been on my TBR longer than others, all else being equal.

And sometimes I do just metaphorically stick a pin in the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
My TBR list is constantly getting bigger and I sometimes find it difficult to choose a novel when so many are screaming out to me!
I suspect that you might like to join the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread. You'll find help and sympathy there.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just scroll through them looking for whichever one interests me the most at that moment. I do not need to stick to any one genre. I was reading a History book prior to the Thriller I am reading now.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suspect that you might like to join the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread. You'll find help and sympathy there.
Haha, I've had a quick look around in that thread. Lots of help in there. Thanks
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I select according to my interest. I'm currently reading three books. A horror novel, historical fiction, and a biography. I jump around from book to book, that's how I usually read, two or three books simultaneously but more than three I cannot.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I read 3 random, non-series books and then pick a series. I'm part of the Addicts thread for a reason.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I prefer not to read two similar books one after the other. I very rarely even read two books from the same series without something different in between. Heck, the UK paperback version of A Dance With Dragons was published in two volumes, and I read something else between the two halves of the one book.

I also kind of like to mix it up with devices. If I feel I haven't used, say, the Kobo for a while, then I'll pick something on the Kobo next. (Let's count pbooks as a device, too.)

I do have quite a lot of trouble tracking the TBR, though. I'm slowly putting together a spreadsheet, but it's quite a lot of work. I still need to add several dozen pbooks, and I think I'm probably missing a few free ebooks that haven't yet made it into Calibre (Baen CDs, for instance).

I also have todo lists on my iPod, when I'm pursuing various authors/series/lists. These include books I don't yet own (and I really wish the Todo list software I am using supported three states - I need to track whether I own them as well as whether I've read them.) For instance, I have a list of Agatha Christie's novels, so I can see which ones I need to try to pick up when I'm browsing charity shops and second-hand bookshops, or, I guess, borrow from the library (I'm not willing to pay the ebook prices); and I have a list of Hugo winners, which I now own all of and have only 9 (well, 8.25 now) to read.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I just scroll through them looking for whichever one interests me the most at that moment. I do not need to stick to any one genre. I was reading a History book prior to the Thriller I am reading now.
Apache
This. Same thing I do at the book store except I already own the books lol.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
This. Same thing I do at the book store except I already own the books lol.
You are correct. I did the same thing with bookstores.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Set the 'Not Read' (uses a custom column) filter in Calibre, then use the 'Pick A Random Book' button .
New for me series can end up with me reading 2 or 3 books (about the same as if I had bought the omnibus re-issue )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I keep with me all the books I might want to read next and when I'm done with the book I'm currently reading, I simply choose from my pack of books, a bit randomly and a bit depending on my mood.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
My TBR for my Kindle is a list of the mostly freebies I've purchased for it, in the order I bought them. I just pick the next one in the list.

For my Sony, using my PRS-505 that is loaded up with as many unread epub titles as I can fit, I go into the title list and pick one of the number buttons, and then I select the title at the top or the bottom of the page. It is a sort of random selection and if I didn't do this, I think I wouldn't read any of the "classic literature" or other freebies that I have collected. This is only if I don't have a particular title in mind that I want to read instead. Then I download the book to my T1.

When I thought the 505 was dying, I was at a loss about how to pick out my books in the future. I also use my 505 at work for lunchtime reading and for that I am working my way through a particular, light-toned series.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I like to switch around. I have a custom column with 3 levels indicating Must read, read and will possibly read eventually. These are the books I put on my readers.
When I add books I have a Y/N column for each reader. Then I have yet another column where I mark books as read after I have deleted them from my reader. Lot of columns but works for me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
carmonli
carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have (among others) three relevant collections on my Kindle:
  • Currently reading
  • Recommended
  • Finished

When I add books, anything I'm particularly interested in, I put into the Recommended collection. That's the first place I look for the next thing to read.

When I start reading, I remove it from Recommended and add it to Currently reading. If, for some reason, a book that I've started doesn't catch my interest particularly, I'll leave it there unless it's total junk, in which case I just delete it

When I've finished, I remove it from Currently reading and add it to Finished, where it stays until I add it to my Books Read list (I keep a spreadsheet in Excel for ebooks and pbooks), and then delete it from the Kindle and mark it as read (custom column) in Calibre.
carmonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I like to jump between genres, if I'm not in the mood for anything specific.

Even worse, though...lately, I've been on a re-read kick. And my TBR pile just grows larger and larger!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote