Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
New Kindle iOS update increases gap from fire

Boy did kindle on ios just get a huge update. It now has magazine, newspaper, PDF, word support with true cloud doc access. You get a kindle email to upload docs to then the iOS app on each iOS device has true cloud access to it. After I updated, I had access to the docs already in the cloud. Strange how their own device the fire is behind the times on features like that.

It also adds rich textbook support.
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
There is a difference though - The iPad is bigger and is more suited for PDF reading. The people buying iPads have no interest in the Fire anyway. They also have access to the iBookstore. It is simply for those that also have the e-ink based Kindles.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
The Ipad did get a great update. Maybe now the Fire will get the update.
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
That is strange that the Kindle reader on the Fire is missing a lot of those features (and others, like page numbers). I would LOVE access to docs in the cloud. I can only hope that these features from their iOS team are a sign of things to come in Android/Fire land.
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just sold my iPad over the past weekend so I missed out on seeing and playing with the updated Kindle for iOS app. I'm very happy to hear that it now can connect to books stored in the Amazon cloud. I think this is the first non-Kindle E Ink device to get this promised feature, so perhaps Android devices and PC/Macs will get it too and soon. Very disappointed though that Amazon did not extend this feature to the Fire first!
Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
An iOS app of any kind is generally more feature-rich than the Android version. It's annoying as heck.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
ssahnan
Enthusiast

If I was a fire owner without a iPad, I would be irritated that amazon's flagship kindle device not only lagged behind its iOS counterpart from launch but with updates is falling further behind. For the fire not to have cloud docs and shelfari book extras is atrocious in my mind.

I think what it shows me is that on the kindle ebook vs iBook battle is not being fought on the fire vs iPad front but on the iOS app vs iBooks arena. They are prioritizing the competition and resources with its iOS app. Most if not all the fire's shortcomings on the hardware side are forgivable given its discount price. But to take a discount approach to your software support of the fire is puzzling. How lazy do you have to be to have your Facebook app not even be a app but just a shortcut to the web interface? There is a reason why apple exudes quality and everyone else falls further behind. Their kindle fire staff must really be 2nd rate programmers/coders.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
...Their kindle fire staff must really be 2nd rate programmers/coders.
They have to get the thumbs up from management to do what they do.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
ssahnan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
They have to get the thumbs up from management to do what they do.
whether is programming or management, somewhere along that line, there is a issue, a failure. no matter how you look at it, it's suprising to see their flagship device lack flagship quality software, especially since most of the deficiencies are no brainers...
Old 12-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
whether is programming or management, somewhere along that line, there is a issue, a failure. no matter how you look at it, it's suprising to see their flagship device lack flagship quality software, especially since most of the deficiencies are no brainers...
The Fire's reading app is better than the standard Kindle for Android one. Lots of room for improvement though. Most apps are sub-par when compared to the iOS version. It sucks.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I can access my own docs by sending them to my Fire with a special email address. They come down fully formatted and indexed for the Fire.

The same is true for the 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard WiFi. However, the 3rd Gen and Fire are assigned different email addresses.

I processed my own Bible Notes from Logos to a Word organized outline and then sent them to my Fire and 3rd Gen Kindle eInk device.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
ssahnan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I can access my own docs by sending them to my Fire with a special email address. They come down fully formatted and indexed for the Fire.

The same is true for the 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard WiFi. However, the 3rd Gen and Fire are assigned different email addresses.

I processed my own Bible Notes from Logos to a Word organized outline and then sent them to my Fire and 3rd Gen Kindle eInk device.
yeah difference now atleast on the ios side is all those docs that were sent to the cloud regardless of what email was used to get it there, are now universally acessable thru the ios app. each seperate ios device with app is also assigned its own email but with regards to the ios side of things, the email used is irelevant. It's a true cloud where as with kindles, you have to physically email it to each device
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Ipad of course has been around longer and therefore the software development would be ahead of the Fire. I bet Amazon just had to get their footing for the Fire. Now they can move forward and add the icing. Then again Amazon cares more about selling and they really don't care what device we own. They just want everyone to have easy access to the store.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The Fire's reading app is better than the standard Kindle for Android one. Lots of room for improvement though. Most apps are sub-par when compared to the iOS version. It sucks.
I don't know if I agree with that. It has more fonts but other then that the Standard Android app has the brightness slider So it's a draw.

I wonder has anyone tried to install the standard Kindle app on the Fire?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote