Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
Unhappy Amazon Lit (Lighted?) Case is now broken

I use my launch K3 about 4-5 times a week.

Since I don't like the weight of the case when I don't need the light I'd take the K3 out of the case. But then I'm putting it back in the case before the night is over. So on average I'm probably taking the K3 out of the case once every other reading.

Last night the light stopped working

Off to contact Amazon CSR for a replacement.

-edit, Purchased September 10th 2010 so it was still under warranty. CSR is shipping me out a new one. Woot!

Last edited by Mike 01Hawk; 01-12-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast

I must also confess I was reading the K3 in the bath tub and I reached for my K3 w/ my wet hand and got a tiny bit of water around the keyboard area. I would think there's a rubber membrane to protect the circuitry below the keyboard for just this issue though. My K3 has been working fine after the 'water hand' incident.

So, I'm assuming the problem is either:

1) Just defective
2) Didn't like the attachment mechanism being used constantly
3) Water damage

Guess I'll narrow it down to case vs k3 once the new case arrives.

Last edited by Mike 01Hawk; 01-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
try putting your kindle into a ziploc bag the next time without the case
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast

har har
Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
She's not kidding about protecting it from water using a ziplock or similar plastic bag for protection. But if yours can endure a lot of scuba diving without a mask - well, okay, then.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 01Hawk View Post
har har
I am totally serious. I read in the bath all of the time with my Kindle in a ziploc. I also have taken it to the beach in a ziploc, both as defense against sand and water
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast

Really???

Was it a pleasurable experience? I would think the extra "layer" and air pockets would make it a PITA to read.

Hmmmmmm
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I use a gallon size Ziploc in the tub until someone buys me this from my Amazon wish list.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 01Hawk View Post
Really???

Was it a pleasurable experience? I would think the extra "layer" and air pockets would make it a PITA to read.

Hmmmmmm
it's very easy to use. when you have the kindle inside the bag, fold the empty part of the bag over the side, gently squeeze it around your kindle and you will gradually get the air out of it. pushing any of the buttons through the bag is very easy, there is no distortion through the bag, and you have the security of knowing it is protected. I had knee surgery last year so taking a bath was a huge deal after my scar closed up. I was also very heavily medicated. I fell asleep in the tub and woke up when my Kindle hit my tummy. I was SO glad it was in the ziploc!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it's very easy to use. when you have the kindle inside the bag, fold the empty part of the bag over the side, gently squeeze it around your kindle and you will gradually get the air out of it. pushing any of the buttons through the bag is very easy, there is no distortion through the bag, and you have the security of knowing it is protected. I had knee surgery last year so taking a bath was a huge deal after my scar closed up. I was also very heavily medicated. I fell asleep in the tub and woke up when my Kindle hit my tummy. I was SO glad it was in the ziploc!

I'm so gonna try that this weekend. I could use a bath. Wait, that sounded wrong. What I mean is, I could use 30 minutes or so in a locked room by myself with a book, as opposed to ten minutes of constant movement under a spray of hot water. Showering is a daily activity, but a nice bath is an experience.

I see a bubble bath and a trashy novel in my near future. Now I'm just wishing I had one of those waterproof iPod thingies.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

and a glass of wine....