Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Help with FBReader setup

Hi All

I notice that the FBReader preferences dialogue contains a tab for "Keys". Does that mean that I can asign an action for a particular key and if so could someone please explain how it is done.

What I would like to do is have the space bar "turn pages" if that is possible.

Thanks
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
I notice that the FBReader preferences dialogue contains a tab for "Keys". Does that mean that I can asign an action for a particular key and if so could someone please explain how it is done.
What I would like to do is have the space bar "turn pages" if that is possible.
In FBReader, click the Preferences icon (the gear on the menu bar). In the FBReader Options dialog box, select the Tab button. Focus on the Action for Key box, and press the key you want to define. The Spacebar will display when pressed as <space>.

A new box will appear blow offering the possible actions the key can be bound to. Selecting the box will produce a drop down list. "Scroll Forward Page" looks like the closest to what you want.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Thanks for that Dennis. It's simple when you know how and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Regards
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
Thanks for that Dennis. It's simple when you know how and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
It's not intuitive, and user documentation is a future goal for FBReader.

I have it here under Windows and Linux. The big win for me is support for Plucker format. I have about 4,000 Plucker volumes converted from HTML, and it's nice to be able to read them on something other than my Palm OS PDA.
______
Dennis
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
acme2010
acme2010 began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Legend
Hi to all,

2 weeks ago I changed my device from Palm T5 to HTC Legend and I'm also searching for a reader that is able to read my Plucker files. So I found FbreaderJ 0.7.7 in the Android market. But unfortunately I am not able to open the plucker files. I have copied the .PDB files to /sdcard/books but FbreaderJ didn't recognize it.

Where is the problem?
Has anyone an idea?

--

Regards
acme2010
acme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme2010 View Post
Hi to all,

2 weeks ago I changed my device from Palm T5 to HTC Legend and I'm also searching for a reader that is able to read my Plucker files. So I found FbreaderJ 0.7.7 in the Android market. But unfortunately I am not able to open the plucker files. I have copied the .PDB files to /sdcard/books but FbreaderJ didn't recognize it.

Where is the problem?
Has anyone an idea?
Right now, it appears you are out of luck. FBReaderJ is a Java based clone of FBReader, but does not yet support all the features of the original.

In particular:
Quote:
FBReaderJ supports several e-book formats: oeb, epub, fb2. In future releases the list will be extended to support the same formats as the original FBReader. Direct reading from zip, tar and gzip archives is supported.
(Emphasis mine above)

It looks like FBReaderJ doesn't support Plucker yet.

See http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/ for details.
______
Dennis
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
acme2010

What a pity! But nevertheless thanks for your quick response. Do you know any possibiliy to read my plucker files on an Android phone? Or a tool to convert the plucker files to another Android readable format?

--

acme2010
Old 10-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
What a pity! But nevertheless thanks for your quick response. Do you know any possibility to read my plucker files on an Android phone? Or a tool to convert the plucker files to another Android readable format?
I don't know anything else offhand that reads Plucker docs on an Android platform.

I did find a Windows command line tool that explodes Plucker documents to HTML, and you ought to be able to convert that to something you can read on the Hero. I've attached a zip archive to this message.

The syntax is
Code:
Usage:  explode [--directory=DIR] [--verbose] [--jpeg-quality=XXX] DOCUMENT-FILE
where --directory is the directory to place the exploded files (the default is .\exploded under the current directory) and DOCUMENT-FILE is the Plucker document you want to explode.
______
Dennis
Attached Files
File Type: zip plkrxpld.zip (69.6 KB, 285 views)
Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
acme2010

Hello Dennis,

thanks for your assistance. I will test that command and give you a feedback.

--

Regards
acme2010
Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Hello Dennis,

thanks for your assistance. I will test that command and give you a feedback.
It works here, and doesn't seem to care about compression. (I create my Plucker docs with gzip based high compression rather than the default RLE version, to save space on the device.)

You'll get results like this on a successful explode:
Code:
 Directory of C:\eBooks\@Plucker\exploded

06/24/2010  08:09 PM    <DIR>          .
06/24/2010  08:09 PM    <DIR>          ..
06/21/2010  11:19 AM           739,406 default.html
06/21/2010  11:19 AM             1,671 r2.jpg
06/21/2010  11:19 AM             3,259 r22.html
06/21/2010  11:19 AM             5,691 r23.html
06/21/2010  11:19 AM             1,264 r24.jpg
06/21/2010  11:19 AM               911 r25.jpg
06/21/2010  11:19 AM             1,495 r26.jpg
06/21/2010  11:19 AM             1,872 r27.jpg
06/21/2010  11:19 AM               684 r28.jpg
               9 File(s)        756,253 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  15,633,383,424 bytes free
It's assigning names to extracted elements, but that should not be a problem.

I accumulated a Plucker document or two where I discovered I didn't have the source HTML, so this has been useful on occasion.
______
Dennis