Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
kiriakou
kiriakou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Do not order a k2 case without the hinge system

It is that good. It does not move when you read. I have had non e-readers comment on how book like it makes the kindle.

Last edited by kiriakou; 02-28-2009 at 01:48 PM.
kiriakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
artsci
artsci
artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle and Kindle 2
Couldn't agree more. I've made the same argument in several of my other posts.
artsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
analogtime
analogtime began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Do the hinges scratch the Kindle?
analogtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
So, what are some cases with the "hinge system"??

I'm really looking for a K2 case, but cannot make up my mind.

Gene
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
kiriakou

Medge has a version and the Amazon cover uses it (obviously). I have the amazon version and it is very neat. I would like alternatives though.

The hinge system does not interfere with the kindle. It uses the built in spine connections so it does not scratch; require adhesion or block the front of the kindle in any way.

I think some people are like me, they love this little machine and want to personalize it. The amazon cover works, we just want to have some options. Velcro and corner tabs just aren't viable once you see how well the hinge system works.
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
I really want a NICE cover, but like the idea of the hinge. I think I will order the Amazon cover until I come up with something better.

Thanks for the input.

Gene
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I agree too. Really like the amazon cover. Also like that it has no straps or pockets so it looks really like a book cover. It stays firmly shut and also the padding inside feels good on the hands and seems very protective. Would love more color options but black will go with any skin I plan on getting. (www.decalgirl.com has about 80 choices up already).
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
susanmarie8
susanmarie8 began at the beginning.

Device: none/kindle 2
WARNING: The Amazon cover for the K2 stinks to high heaven! It smells quite toxic and the odor transfers to your fingers and is hard to remove.

I hope some decent alternatives come out quickly.
susanmarie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Personally I liked the smell of the new Kindle 2 cover but then I've always been a Leather Man.

I find the new hinge system to be a major improvement over the Kindle 1 system. THe cover folds back nicely into a pre-broken leather hinge that lets the unit lie on top of the front cover effortlessly from first usage.

The inner lining gives my fingers the right cush to grab into it to hold on firmly when folded under.

I do advise a modicum of attention when taking the Kindle 2 in and out of the hinge though. Sloppy alignment could lead to accidents that could indeed scratch the Kindle. I might have silicone dipped the hinge grippers if I'd been the designer.

What I want is a Cole Han cover with the hinge...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
wendybca
WendyBCA
wendybca began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Where do I get a nice hinge cover other than Amazon?
wendybca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I'd get the M-edge cover with the hinges, if only they didn't put the straps on the right-hand side. The Kindle doesn't flop around in the Amazon case, so IMO, the straps aren't necessary. I wish they'd make them optional.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
kiriakou

the K2 amazon cover is good quality leather it is just not great. The comment from susanmarie8 is not accurate.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiriakou View Post
the K2 amazon cover is good quality leather it is just not great. The comment from susanmarie8 is not accurate.
What doesn't smell to you may smell strongly to someone else. I am very sensitive to odors and I can smell many things others can't. Luckily only a few strong odors bother me (trigger migraines) and they can be easily avoided.

While hinges are nice, not everyone may be comfortable with them. Personally I would prefer a system that holds on both sides of the Kindle instead of relying only on attachments on one side.

Last edited by MonaLS; 02-28-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling (be -> me)
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
CRoss
Bibliophile
CRoss began at the beginning.

Having just received an Amazon case, I can verify that mine does have a chemical odor, though thus far I only noticed it when I put the cover right up to my nose and sniffed. Just in case anyone was wondering.
CRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I've a very powerful nose.. and if I SNIFF the case I can smell it, but otherwise I don't notice it.

Susan may have just gotten a weird one. I got a moleskine cover from a company the other day that stinks so bad I can barely get near it. But most people's seem to be fine.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote