Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
FlowerOS
Monk
FlowerOS began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 515W, Prestigio PER3162BN, Sony PRS-505 (old, broken)
Bad screen (half shifted)

I have my PRS-505 for about 5 years now and I was very content with it. A few days back when I opened it I was surprised to see the screen was half shifted towards left and the other half is like the USB connection but blurry and dirty like in the image below.

Because I suspected software malfunction, I tried hard-reset but it didn't solve anything. Today I rewrote the firmware with the 1.1 version from SONY website using the trick specified here to force the update on the same version. It is still the same. I can only view half the screen. Any idea on how can I fix this problem is appreciated.

I know it served me well for a long time and it might be a sign that I need a new one but I really like the 505 and I don't want anything new for the moment. Thank you.
FlowerOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Sadly that's a broken screen (or broken substrate on the screen). Which can't be fixed. If you like the 5" format, I would suggest you look at getting a used PRS-350 from ebay. I've recently bought a few for spare parts for $35 and $45 and they were perfect in every way, no scratches on the screen at all, one with a decent cover. There are a few for sale with very nice covers that alone were $30, so getting the reader and a cover like that for $50 is a decent deal even used. I'd just recommend emailing the seller first to verify the screen is scratch-free.

You can also still find a few new ones around too, but those will be usually be over $100.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Sadly that's a broken screen (or broken substrate on the screen). Which can't be fixed. If you like the 5" format, I would suggest you look at getting a used PRS-350 from ebay. I've recently bought a few for spare parts for $35 and $45 and they were perfect in every way, no scratches on the screen at all, one with a decent cover. There are a few for sale with very nice covers that alone were $30, so getting the reader and a cover like that for $50 is a decent deal even used. I'd just recommend emailing the seller first to verify the screen is scratch-free.

You can also still find a few new ones around too, but those will be usually be over $100.

The 505 has a 6" screen not a 5".
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Is that definitely a broken screen? It really does look like the screen has moved partly and it's not just that half of the screen is distorted like you normally get when it's broken.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The 505 has a 6" screen not a 5".
Thanks for that correction, for some reason I always thought it was a 5". So the x50 line was the only line to deviate from standard 6" screens?

And I guess it's possible it's the screen controller and not the screen itself. But in either case, it's not something you can repair yourself.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Is that definitely a broken screen? It really does look like the screen has moved partly and it's not just that half of the screen is distorted like you normally get when it's broken.
Kinda looks like it might be a controller problem or something. You're right that it doesn't look like most broken screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Thanks for that correction, for some reason I always thought it was a 5". So the x50 line was the only line to deviate from standard 6" screens?
The PRS-300 and PRS-350 were Sony's 5" Readers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote