Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
ORIGINAL_EPUB not being generated desipte save_original_format = True

To clean up some Nook ePubs for loading on my Kobo Glo I'm doing these conversions:

* ePub to Mobi (which removes some formatting that the Kobo doesn't like)

* Mobi to ePub (which puts it back into ePub format)

Yesterday when I did this, I ended up with three files: EPUB, ORIGINAL_EPUB, MOBI

But today, doing the same thing only results in EPUB and MOBI.

I didn't touch the Tweak settings, and I've confirmed that I've got this setting: "save_original_format = True"

The conversion IS happening; the EPUB file in the folder for this book has a later timestamp than the MOBI file, but the original is gone.

I'm using Calibre 0.9.9 on Windows XP.

Help, please!

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 12-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried rerunning the Calibre-0.9.9.msi to reinstall the program. It wouldn't let me install over my existing 0.9.9 version, but it did offer a "repair" option. I ran that, but it didn't fix my problem.
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I tried rerunning the Calibre-0.9.9.msi to reinstall the program. It wouldn't let me install over my existing 0.9.9 version, but it did offer a "repair" option. I ran that, but it didn't fix my problem.
That setting is only for EPUB=>EPUB or MOBI=>MOBI
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That setting is only for EPUB=>EPUB or MOBI=>MOBI
Hmmm. Really? I guess that makes sense, although I'd love an option to preserve a pristine copy of whatever format you originally imported the book in. After all, information IS lost in conversion, and there's no way to get it back if you don't have a copy of the original.

(Yes, I keep backups. Still.)
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I use a separate library when I want to preserve originals.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You might try converting Epub->Epub before Epub->Mobi->Epub. That should generate the Original Epub format.

The only problem is that your Epub->Mobi conversion will work from the Epub that was generated from the first conversion, not from the original. That may or may not be a problem for you.

And yes, I tested deleting the second Epub format before converting to Mobi. Apparently Calibre won't let you convert from Original Epub format, unless they've changed it in the last few versions (I'm on 0.9.5).
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote