Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
Help, my Paperwhite goes directly to screensaver

Hello there

My PW has some strange issue since yesterday, I cannot take out from the screensaver mode.

I reset it by holding the power button for 15 seconds, it boots normally, than it enters directly to screensaver mode.

If I connect it to the PC, it connects normally as a usb drive, I can see the whole content of it, even the screen changes to (USB DRIVE MODE).

When I disconnect it, the main screen appears for a second, than before I can make anything, the screensaver appears again, and that's it.

The strange thing is I have a PW with special offers, so I didn't saw a "normal" screensaver on it before, just the comercials, but since this happening, I can see the normal screensaver as on K4.

I never tried any jailbreak or something on it before, so it has a life on it's own.

I cannot send it back to Amazon, because I was bothered by light bleeding, so I unglued the top mask, and fixed the lights issue (I am electrician), but I left a mark when I was opening it. So anyway, the kindle worked well after the light fix, but I cannot send it back to them.

How can I make a real hard reset, I mean returning it to factory settings? Pressing the power key more than a minute didn't helped at all...
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Send back.
They don't read this forum, and if you haven't told them you opened it, don't tell them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If USB works, you can jailbreak it and add simple_usbnet (from NiLuJe's thread). Then you should be able to fix it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The "reset" button is not hooked on but the latest teardown shows its location (inside, bottom, square pad for reset.)

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

It seems it is hw problem after all, I made some kind of short circuit on the light flex, where is the magnetic sensor is located too.
Does anybody have an idea where can I buy a flex like that?
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those parts are custom printed for each application.
Your only source would be from a broken Kindle of the same model, without the same type of breakage as yours.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano42 View Post
It seems it is hw problem after all, I made some kind of short circuit on the light flex, where is the magnetic sensor is located too.
Does anybody have an idea where can I buy a flex like that?
So that makes sense then. It thinks the cover is closed because it sees a (false) magnet, so it goes to screensaver mode. Perhaps you can try removing the mag sensor, if you cannot repair the other damage. Or (first), unplug that flex cable to see if it works again (although without the light)...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

It was shown in the most recently linked paperwhite teardown that the machine runs with that light cable unplugged.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
mano42

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It was shown in the most recently linked paperwhite teardown that the machine runs with that light cable unplugged.
yes, it works, that's how I realized that I broke the sensor. I disabled it, I kept only the two contacts for the flex circuit continuity, and the lights work too. I just have to use the power button to put the device in standby and to take it out from it. Damn. I really got used to the case. Hopefully in a few months ebay will be full with spare parts and then my case will have the extra functionality again.

at least my (side)backlight is uniform, even I have those small shadows tho...
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

I still say you should close it up and send it back.
They don't get a chance to see it until after you have received your replacement.
And they don't have the time to examine all the returns, man power cost more than they would lose selling it for salvage.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
^ that

EDIT: Try whistling nonchalantly - that always works in the movies
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote