Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Connection Issues with Connected WiFi?

This is strange...and the first time it's happened to me.

I turned on my Vox this morning from 'off' (shut it off last night). Everything turned on great, WiFi connected - saw a strong signal. Then I tried to get to a website and got a message 'not connected'. Then I tried to go to the Kobo store, and got an error message that I need an internet connection (as I sat scratching my head, looking at my strong internet connection).

So...I went into settings and disconnected my network, turned WiFi off, then turned it back on again, and re-connected to my network, and then I was back up and running again.

Any ideas why the Vox did not find my internet connection, even though I was obviously connected???
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
What kind of network are you connecting to? Some (WEP, I believe) have distinct phases of connection. I'm not an expert on networking (nor do I play one on TV!), but I recall an issue we had that stemmed from a race condition caused by this fact - android could show the wifi connection was established (eg, password was accepted), but no data could actually be transmitted because DHCP stuff had not finished yet. So there was a short period of time where things didn't work right. Perhaps your DHCP server was responding slowly? Just a thought...
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
What kind of network are you connecting to? Some (WEP, I believe) have distinct phases of connection. I'm not an expert on networking (nor do I play one on TV!), but I recall an issue we had that stemmed from a race condition caused by this fact - android could show the wifi connection was established (eg, password was accepted), but no data could actually be transmitted because DHCP stuff had not finished yet. So there was a short period of time where things didn't work right. Perhaps your DHCP server was responding slowly? Just a thought...
Thanks JW - it's WPA, so not sure this could be possible. But, considering this is the first time it's happened, and a disconnect and re-connect resolved the problem, it was an isolated event. I would be curious if this happens to anyone else, though!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I have issues re-connecting to my (wpa2) wifi at random times.
when I turn wifi on vox off to conserve the battery, I am having problems reconnecting to my network afterwards.
tried turning wifi on/off which didn't help until I figured out a way around it. my device seems to connect to my wifi fine after I kill all running tasks and try reconnecting again. not an elegant way, but it works.
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote