Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
New to me Sony PRS300

My MIL surprised me today by heartfeltedly giving me my BIL's Sony PRS300. He passed away in May. I'm the only person she knows who knows anything about ebooks and ereaders so she thought I was the right person to give it to.

Apparently, he opened the package but never used it. I charged it today and loaded the Sony Library software on it. I downloaded an EPUB book from one of the libraries I use and got it downloaded to the 300.

So...what do I do with it now to maximize its capabilities? Honestly, the apps I use on my iPod touch seem much more advanced but I need to use it when dear old MIL is around.

Having another piece of technology never bothers me but I'd like to get everything I can out of my new toy. TIA.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Just be aware that you can have an Epub library book, or a PDF one, but not both on the device at the same time ... or a nasty error message will ensue!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, I have my ebook library on my PC in Calibre. The digital libraries I frequent have more EPUBs than PDFs and since Calibre can convert PDFs to EPUBs, then the safer bet is to make the PRS300 an EPUB ereader.

Any flaw in that logic?

I know I'm being lazy, but is there a firmware upgrade I should be loading on it? Other tricks I need to know?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Will you be stripping the DRM from your library books? If so, you can put both fotmats on your device; it's only DRM'ed ones that conflict. If you will not be removing the DRM, Calibre will not be able to convert them.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Congrats!! I have one and I just got my husband a prs300 for Xmas I loaded up some books tonight and he'll be using it soon.
He travels a lot so I think this will be a good thing for him to have.
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Illinifan
Connoisseur

Yeah, I'm one of those people who people my taxes go to buy ebooks at my public libraries as well as paper ones. I strip DRM.

Ok...I've done some reading on MR tonight. I think I see two options to increase the functionality of the PRS300: 1) Ebook Applications and 2) PRS+.

Pros and cons with both? Opinions?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #7
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi,
AFAIK you can check out both.
While PRS+ is based on the original sony firmware, adding some missing functionality to the UI and brings some (homebrew) Apps like Sudoku, Mahjong, Fiveballs and a Calculatur, but sticks to the original FW viewer-programms.

Ebook Applications is a whole new set applications NOT based on Sony-original code.
While progress goes fast, and Ebook-Apps is offering some additional file-formats to use, it seams to be in an (early) beta state.

If you install first PRS+ (appending the Sony-FW) and then Ebook-Apps you should be able to choose at each startup which application to use. (And if starting your reader attached to an USB-Port, and choosing Sony-FW, even without starting PRS+. So you will have the original unchanged FW.)
HTH
Mark

Last edited by Mark Nord; 12-26-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
Illinifan
Connoisseur

Ok, I think I'm an idiot. :

I tried to make loading the ebook applications harder than it was. Instead of just moving the whole directory over to the root directory on the Sony, I loaded each directory separately. When I realized my mistake I also went overboard and deleted the other files in the Sony root directory.

Could somebody please post the list of files that are supposed to be there?

Could somebody also please tell me where I might find copies of those files to put back on my PRS 300?

In interest of full disclosure, I've tried the soft and hard resets. I get the 2 choices at to either chose ebooks applications or Sony, but only the Sony works. I can't get ebook applications to load at all.