Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Another "is this book in PD" question...

I can't figure it out - please help

Is a book, published in 1911, in United Kingdom, whose author died in 1970 in PD? And if so, where?

I'm guessing it might be, as other of Forster's work from that time is available on Guterberg.org - but my problem is I can't figure out what's what when the auther didn't die until 1970.

The book is The Celestial Omnibus by E. M. Forster - I'm making a personal copy for my own use, but would like to share it if I can.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It will be in the public domain in the USA, but not anywhere else (other than those oddball countries with no copyright laws). Anything published prior to 1923 is in the US public domain, regardless of when the author died. So yes, you can upload it here, and request that it be moved to our US server.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... regardless of when the author died.
Thank you! It was this I couldn't figure out because your examples mentioned this in relation to long dead authors - at least that was my impression.

So in UK it won't be in PD until 2041 - am I correct? And Canada 2021? (just curious )
Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Anything published prior to 1923 is in the US public domain, regardless of when the author died.
But... regardless of where it was published? The Wikipedia article on US copyright, for instance, says: "All copyrightable works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But... regardless of where it was published? The Wikipedia article on US copyright, for instance, says: "All copyrightable works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain".
I wonder about that, too. Is there any way to find out such a thing? That is, when the book first was published in USA?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given that E.M. Forster is a major novelist, and this was published in 1911 in the UK, there seems very little reason to doubt that it would have been published in the US at some point prior to 1923. Unless anyone can show that it actually wasn't, I think we're safe in hosting it on our US server.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Looks like the first American edition was published in 1923 (assuming this is correct), so I'm not sure.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard

Found a 'copyright cleared 9 nov 2008' in this list of Gutenberg 'works in progress', so it should be fine.

Thanks for all your help guys
Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Great! Thanks for letting us know.