Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Edit Book: Handling of 'umlaut' in <title>Wilde Schw�ne</title>

German umlauts are known as sometimes unpleasant. But without German wouldn't be German, descriptions in ae, oe and ue are often not the yellow of the egg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilde Schw?ne.png
Views:	249
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	148230
In the present example, one may change Wilde Schw�ne in Wilde Schwäne, and nothing (negative) happens. Check Book is in both cases OK!

Who can tell me on that? Can I change it without any (hidden) problems or not?

Last edited by chaot; 04-26-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add: in both cases
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have plenty of books with auhor names like Sjöwall & Wahlöö, or series names like Bäckström, and I haven't come across any problems.

The only potential problems I can think of is if a character wasn't included in the font that the ereader uses to display the book's metadata, or if there wasn't a way to enter a character from the ereader's keyboard which could be a difficulty when using the search function.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't look carefully at your attachment, I was thinking about the metadata in the .opf file. But I think there would be even fewer potential problems with the html metadata, because ereaders will just ignore it anyway.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-26-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: ... I was thinking about the metadata in the .opf file.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I have many books with accented characters, mostly in authors' names, and have never encountered any issues with either calibre or with various readers and reading apps.

I suspect that the OP's issue is the result of the PDF to HTML converter's (tagged as pdftohtml 0.36 in the metadata) failure to handle the PDF's font encoding properly, either putting a bogus character in place of the umlauted character or in specing the HTML output with the wrong encoding leading the HTML to EPUB conversion to go astray.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Choose the correct input character encoding for the document and your problem is gone.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote