Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
nomeata
nomeata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Smile Using the kobo as a external eInk monitor

Hi,

I just managed to use my Kobo Aura HD as an external eInk monitor for my laptop, using VNC (i.e. kvncviewer) over WLAN... more details on my blog.

The setup is still very manual, but I hope to automate that a bit later on. It seems the trickiest part is to find a non-intrusive way to actually start something on the kobo.
nomeata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Good job! Do you know if it's possible to create a separate style configuration for Linux and load it using a different xsession? This way you can load it if you want to use Kobo as monitor, and switch to the normal session when not.

An SSH client is included in KoboLauncher:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201632

About extensions, I created an elemental package manager:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238321
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
nomeata

I thought about simply changing the xsettings, e.g. using `xsettingsd` or `LXAppearance`, this way I would not have to log out and in.

Thanks for pointing out that the Kobo launcher contains an SSH server. I’m not sure though whether I want users of my tool to first have to install a launcher. I’ll also have to look into your package manager, (although I dislike having to patch things at all – why can’t there just be `on-start.d/` folder supported by the kobo firmware...)
Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
My Installer does add such a folder. By the way, I want to modify its behaviour and separate it into two folders, so the scripts of the actual folder, installer.d, will be executed only once, at install and reinstalls, and the scripts of the other one will be executed every time at boot.

Patching is intended to be used only when you can't do otherwise. For example, Night Mode extensions adds a dynamic library to the nickel exe, and you have to patch rcS.

I also created a package with dropbear only, I'll publish it.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 09-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
nomeata

> I also created a package with dropbear only, I'll publish it.

Cool, looking forward to it.

Tags
vnc eink