Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #91
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Important to me

Which features are most important will vary from person to person, but I can answer this question for myself. I have just chosen a Sony T1 as my Christmas present.

I purchased a T1 for my wife for our anniversary a few months ago. I have been able to use it from time to time. I've been using my phone for my daily reading during my commute. The OLED screen set to white text on black is pretty easy on the eyes and good in anything but direct sun. However, for longer reading, E-ink is a must for me.

I chose the T1 because Sony Canada is offering a great deal ( http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...52921666485877 ) on refurbished T1s at $79 with a one-year warranty plus a standard Sony cover (not the best, but free).

There were several features not found on the T2 and not always found on other readers:
  • Audio player: I have audiobooks and a little music from time to time never hurts
  • Dictionaries: Sony dropped German, Italian, and Dutch dictionaries from the T2. I used English, Spanish, Italian, French, and German dictionaries useful when reading Joseph Conrad, for example.
  • Public library integration. Apparently it works pretty well for our library.
  • microSD card slot: Yes, there's plenty of room in there already, but I like my options.
  • EPUB: No thank you, Amazon. Yes, I've got Calibre, but I shouldn't need to use it.
  • WiFi: For getting books from the library, mostly. Serious browsing is done on computer or phone.

A light is not a big deal for me. If I really need to read in the dark, I'll bust out the phone. Maybe in a few years, when the technology is a bit better developed, less sensitive to scratches and such.

As for things like games, no need.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #92
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
E-readers has been a flop in Sweden, you almost never see them and very few stores sells them. But every kid has an iphone 4 and you see a lot of people with ipads, when netbooks where popular, almost everyone had them. So I think that e-book readers poor technology scares away potential swedes from getting one.
Another reason is that we pay 6% tax on paper books and 25% on e-books, when I bought Marilyn Mansons The long road out of hell the paperback costs about 3.90 euro and the e-book 9.90 euro. We are also a nation with a low population and lots of forest and we produce much paper. You can get paperback books everywhere, while few online stores sells e-books in swedish. Earlier people who read e-books mostly read book in english, but the libraries has started to let you download some books every week and they have an okey selection. 80% of the swedish e-books cames from the library, while it is the opposite when it comes to paper books. Only 1% of the read books in sweden are read digital.
The main reason I have an e-reader is that I don't like to read on a lightning screen and that I've got one for free from SAS because I had a lot of eurobonus points. It also saves me a lot of paper when I have to read long documents for my work.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #93
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

Hey Tacty
Very true that eBook readers are weak devices if hardware is concerned.
For providing features that meetup with users' expectations we must use HTML5 as development platforms. It provides good options for developers and also the developed apps are lighter than those built using other frameworks.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 AM   #94
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
Hey Tacty
Very true that eBook readers are weak devices if hardware is concerned.
For providing features that meetup with users' expectations we must use HTML5 as development platforms. It provides good options for developers and also the developed apps are lighter than those built using other frameworks.
thanks. my conclusion is still the same. people, or better western customers, are spoiled. they want to use their eink readers for making phd thesis on them, with a whole bags of notes, annotations, dictionaries, highlighting texts, exporting notes, reading complicated pdf's with pictutres and diagrams, and god knows what...take a break. put some books, read it, delete it, read another, that's it...if you want to do some serious scientific work go to public library and bring some pens and papers...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
if you want to do some serious scientific work go to public library and bring some pens and papers...
Or use the right tool for the job - a decent tablet or a laptop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #96
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I came across the Marvin app thread in the Apple discussions and I'm totally at a loss to tell the truth with all the features. After all, what happened before ereaders? There was no magic done with a book in yesteryear to change the way it is presented so...

Maybe I could understand for fonts and lighting but I'm a novice with ereader apps and just the default settings for the first few pages I read with one of the books that accompanied the app seemed fine to me as do most reader apps!

Not picking at all on the Marvin app per se but isn't the main focus with an ereader to have it instead of a book to begin with, not necessarily with bells and whistles associated with an app? Cannot do that with a book so I guess when there is a need, then an ereader comes into play BUT for what percenatge of folks that read?

Last edited by robertc88; 12-31-2012 at 01:35 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #97
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The problem may be that the ereader has the capabilities of providing those bells and whistles, so people expect them to be there. I have a 9.7" ereader for technical papers, but it doesn't have a touchscreen, so it's really only good for reading. I think it's great, and enjoy using it. People who have the touchscreen model with limited note-taking software on it often are disappointed, though. Their device is much better, but more disappointing! We humans are weird.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #98
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I just want to read on my Kindle. I don't even need the Wifi.
So, less stuff, more dictionaries, lower price.
I'd buy a Wifi-less Kindle NT.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #99
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
I just want to read on my Kindle. I don't even need the Wifi.
So, less stuff, more dictionaries, lower price.
I'd buy a Wifi-less Kindle NT.
I'd concur with that, but on the sony side. I have yet to use the wifi on my T1 and while I've scribbled about 3 notes on various books, with no reliable way of getting those highlights/notes into CALIBRE [I refuse to use the sony software], it is almost useless for me.
It is like having a different flavor of Monster. I drink Absolute Zero. Another low carb flavor might be nice, but not necessary...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #100
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do like having wifi so I can buy books if I am away from my computer. It is also useful when the dictionary comes up blank.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #101
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'd like the ability to borrow library books directly from eInk Kindles.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #102
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Do you mean having the browser hard-coded to big libraries like Philadelphia Free Library? hard on folks who don't have a card there. Or should we be able to point the browser to our local libraries? not sure how this would work...
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #103
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Do you mean having the browser hard-coded to big libraries like Philadelphia Free Library? hard on folks who don't have a card there. Or should we be able to point the browser to our local libraries? not sure how this would work...
I think he means instead of having them go through Amazon.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #104
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I figured that, just not sure how it would work. When you get epubs, do they download directly to your device?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #105
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Possibly. I always download to my desktop and then transfer.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote