Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
MrHatandClogs
MrHatandClogs doesn't litterMrHatandClogs doesn't litter

Device: Literati
If you need help with your Literati come here!

I have noticed a ton of people stating they're having multiple problems with their Literati.

I'm creating this thread to help the best I can.

The first thing you should know/do....

You HAVE to update to the newest firmware update(version 1.9 as of 1/13/11)!!!!

The device will not function very well with out it, for example...

Adobe Digital Editions will not recognize the Literati until you update to 1.9!

Also, as of the newest update, the Kobo Desktop app does not, recognize the Literati, and thus will not sync your device.
I have talked to Tech Support at Literati, and they've said they are working on a fix for this, and it will be in the next update.

So the only way to add books from the Kobo store is either by wirelessy syncing over wifi, or by using Adobe Digital Editions(I've been told you can also use Calbire, but I haven't used this myself, so idk.).

And, to add books from other ebook stores/library, etc. you have to use ADE as well.

Using the following method...

1.) If you haven't already, you'll need to download Adobe Digital Editions. (You can get it free from the Adobe website, just google it)

You'll need to first authorize the program to your computer, by entering your Adobe ID, you'll need to register with Adobe if you don't have one.

You'll then need to authorize your Literati to the Adobe program, if you've updated to the 1.9 firmware, then the first time you connect the Literati to the computer while you have Adobe Digital Editions open, it should ask you to do this automatically.

2.)Buying from Kobo store...

After you purchase a book it will be in your "purchased" books area on the actual Kobo website(not the desktop app), next to it should be a button that says "Adobe DRM EPUB", "Adobe .pdf ebook", or something along these lines.

Click this button to bring up the dialog box, and select "open with: Adobe Digital Editions".

-Buying from other ebook stores(Nook, etc.)/borrowing from library, etc...

Once purchased/borrowed, locate anywhere that says "Download", "get book", "sync to device", etc., and once the dialog box pops up, select "open with: Adobe Digital Editions".

After doing so Adobe Digital Editions should be automatically opened, and it will start downloading the book onto your "library" shelf automatically.

You then just need to "drag and drop" the book from the "library" shelf to the "literati" shelf in the program(this shelf will only be in the program when you have the literati connected to the computer, and you have updated to the newest firmware), disconnect your Literati from the computer(Always eject it from the computer before disconnecting), and the literati should automatically "process your new content" and then show the new book on your device.

Note: If you add .pdfs to the Literati, even if it is an ebook, it still maybe be under the "Documents" tab, not the "Books" tab. B/c, for the most part, Literati puts all .pdfs into the "Documents" tab regardless of what they are(But not everything).

Note: If you don't have the ability to wirelessly sync, then you won't be able to utilize the "News and Mags" on your Literati.
The only way to get the new issues of papers or magazines is either by wirelessly syncing your Literai, or using the Kobo desktop app.
And, since the desktop app isn't recognizing the Literati, this option is impossible until they fix this problem
So, in short, as of the newest firmware update(version 1.9), the only way to add newspapers and magazines to Literati is by wirelessly syncing.

I hope this helps, once you get it working right, the Literati is great.

If you have any other questions regarding the Literati/Kobo Store/Kobo Desktop App, either post it in this thread or pm me.
And, I will do my best to help your out!

EDIT: After a few days of my Literati working correctly, for some unknown reason, my Literati would not connect to wifi. To remedy this I performed a "factory reset". After doing so the wifi worked fine. But upon reconnecting to the computer, my computer said that I had to reformat the hard drive on the Literati before I could use it. I did this, and it worked fine, but afterwards the memory on my Literati was reduced to 176mb total storage. I've talked to Literati Tech Support, and they told me this is a problem occurring with Windows 7 users. And, they are sending me an exchange voucher to exchange my Literati with a new one. So, if this happens to you after performing a factory reset, just call the Literati tech support(via the support page on literatireader.com), and they will send you a voucher to exchange for a new one.

Last edited by MrHatandClogs; 01-19-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: New info.
MrHatandClogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
MrHatandClogs

I have also been told that Generation 1 Kindle car chargers work for the Literati. I haven't used one myself though, so don't take my word for it.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Larpam10
Larpam10 began at the beginning.

Device: sharper image literati
I have had no problem adding books directly from Kobo into an SD card plugged into the SD card slot of my laptop. I move them to the SD card and place the card into the reader. The reader recognizes the content.
Larpam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
i've transferred a few txt files. I see them in the list but they are blank when I open them. any suggestions?
Thanks
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
MrHatandClogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larpam10 View Post
I have had no problem adding books directly from Kobo into an SD card plugged into the SD card slot of my laptop. I move them to the SD card and place the card into the reader. The reader recognizes the content.
I tried this before I updated to the new firmware, and it didn't work.
I haven't tried it since updating, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
MrHatandClogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
i've transferred a few txt files. I see them in the list but they are blank when I open them. any suggestions?
Thanks
I'm sorry, I haven't tired any .txt files.

This is the first I've heard of anything showing up on the Literati but being blank when opened.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Hey MrHatandClogs how about funneling some knowledge into the wiki page.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
moon9
moon9 began at the beginning.

Device: other
literati

any idea why my grandma's literati won't connect through wifi? please contact me at moonbeam81@msn.com. I even tried to hook it up with the usb cable and drop and drag books with no luck.
moon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
dkb479
dkb479 began at the beginning.

Device: literati
NEED HELP

So I just bought a book on the B & N site. I downloaded it to the adobe digital editions and it will not take it, states it is authorized to another user. Can someone help me get this file onto my Liberati reader please!!!
epub.v6.epub
dkb479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

new here

I just discovered this forum. Thanks for the tips. Love my Literati but it has taken a bit of research and time to get it running, which is probably why there are so many 1-star reviews. Not everyone shares my mindset....master it or die trying.

Right now my main disappointment is battery life. It's fine for home and office but will disappoint when I travel. Is this something that can (and if so presumably will) be improved by a future upgrade? Are there any backup battery systems that will work with the Literati?
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
MrHatandClogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Hey MrHatandClogs how about funneling some knowledge into the wiki page.

Dale
I would be glad to do this, could you fill me in on how to?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHatandClogs View Post
I would be glad to do this, could you fill me in on how to?
Sure, the wiki link is at the top of every page in the forum. Once you get there you can tap the Help button on the left side to read about how the wiki works. Mostly you can just enter data similar to the way you would in the forum. I watch all the changes and additions and will help with the formatting. Just put the data in and format it the best you can. I will fix it up a bit and you can then look at the source and see how it was done. This way it won't take long before you are a wiki expert. You can create as many pages as you need.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
MrHatandClogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon9 View Post

any idea why my grandma's literati won't connect through wifi? please contact me at moonbeam81@msn.com. I even tried to hook it up with the usb cable and drop and drag books with no luck.
I'm not sure why it won't connect to wifi?

After I got my Literati working, it was connecting just fine to wifi, then one day it wouldn't at all.

What I did was a factory reset of my Literati, and after I did this, it connected just fine.

But beware, this will remove any content(books,.pdfs, files, etc.) from your Literati, and it will remove the 25 free books preloaded on your Literati, but you can get them back one at a time free from the Kobo store. So make sure you back up anything you don't want to lose.

And, also after I did this, and reconnected to my computer, my computer said I needed to reformat the HDD on the Literati before I could use it. And in doing so, it halved the memory on my Literati. I don't know if this will happen to everyone, but it did to me.

You can't just drag and drop files to your Literati without using Adobe Digital Editions. To use this method, see the instructions above.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
MrHatandClogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
I just discovered this forum. Thanks for the tips. Love my Literati but it has taken a bit of research and time to get it running, which is probably why there are so many 1-star reviews. Not everyone shares my mindset....master it or die trying.

Right now my main disappointment is battery life. It's fine for home and office but will disappoint when I travel. Is this something that can (and if so presumably will) be improved by a future upgrade? Are there any backup battery systems that will work with the Literati?
You're very welcome. I was the same way, I was like..."I only payed $60 for this reader, I will make it work!!!!" LOL!

I'm with you on the battery, I wish it would last longer.

I've noticed that if it has a full charge, with wifi off, it will last for about 5-6 hours when reading books.

I've also noticed that if you are reading something that has color in it, (i.e. newspapers, magazines, kids books, etc.) it burns the battery up a lot faster.

And if it's something that has a lot of sections like a newspaper that has to load a lot more than a normal book it will burn up faster as well.

As I posted above, I've heard that generation 1 Kindle car chargers work for the Literati. But I haven't tried this myself so don't take my word for it.

I have yet to ask the Literati Tech support about this, but I will be contacting them again with other questions, so I will try to find out.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
maidenhk
maidenhk began at the beginning.

Repeating update download

Hello,

I first received the notice on my Literati to download the new update at 6:30 this evening. It is now after 10pm and I've downloaded the update over a dozen times now yet it's still coming back up with the same message to download the available update. Was it suppose to start back up by itself? because I had to turn it back on everytime except for one time, thinking yeah! This is it! But no, the message came again, that was two hours ago.

I held the button down for restart and a column of little lines went up the left hand side of the screen then the screen went black. I let go but nothing happens. I even did the reset on the back. But of course, didn't help either.

Please tell me I missed something really silly, like an actual "Restart" button on the keyboard but, like the story of my life, the sticky on mine fell off so I didn't even know about it.
maidenhk is offline   Reply With Quote