Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #826
WGiant
WGiant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 5.3.4
I've installed the hack and I have four photos I've confirmed each work individually as screensavers. I'm on a Kindle PW 5.3.4, the Kindle just picks one picture and keeps it as the screensaver. It doesn't cycle through them as time passes. Is this normal?

Last edited by WGiant; 11-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
WGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #827
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@WGiant: Yup. they're called 'sleep screens' for a reason. The device is asleep, it's not going to wake up just to swap the image . On the next sleep cycle though, it should switch to the next image in the pool.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #828
WGiant

Ah, I was under the impression they were screen savers and was worried my screen would have a giant snail or my wife's face burned into it.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #829
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No burn-in with eInk screens .
Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #830
WGiant

Thanks for setting me straight.
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #831
jdubon3
jdubon3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A tap to wake feature with the magnetic cases would still be appreciated It's amazing how much better the images look while illuminated for a split second upon auto-waking...
jdubon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #832
jonnyking
jonnyking began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite
Angry screensaver problem

Hi guys,

Was hoping i could sort this out myself but after a full day of messing around (while at work) trying to get any screensaver working i give up

Kindle Paperwhite
Shipped to Canada
Serial number: 90D4 --------------
firmware: Kindle 5.4.0

Jailbreak using: kindle-jailbreak-1.8.N
python: kindle-python-0.8.N
Linkss: kindle-linkss-0.15.N

No matter what blank file I leave in the "linkss" folder i only ever get the 'last' screensaver.

ive tried "Cover" "random" "shuffle" "pinfo". when lock it turns off light showing what was already on the screen then maybe 2 seconds later flashes/refreshes then stays on what was last seen.

I am sure i am doing something silly wrong but cant see it.

Thanks!

JK
jonnyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #833
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jonnyking: First, make sure you're using the snapshots, not the current releases.

Second, according to my nifty FAQ, that usually means that at least one of the images in your set is badly formatted/encoded for the Kindle.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-27-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #834
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
@NiLuJe Just a note, in your FAQ colour depth doesn't appear to make any difference as long as the image is formatted properly (I know your FAQ says optionally dithered down) I just wanted to confirm that the only difference full colour images makes is to the size of the file (plus it saves people messing with the images any more than they have to and thus degrading the quality), I've now tested this on my Touch, PW and PW2.
I'm also remarking on this as I've read in the past people saying that the images have to be greyscale.

Of note, if the images are full colour that doesn't mean they will display in colour, they won't as it's an e-ink display and thus only greyscale (It's the sort of thing my younger brother would ask)
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #835
chipf0rk
chipf0rk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
Hey NiJuLe and everyone involved, thanks for this hack, works great and was just what I wanted (and initially JBed my PW2 for).
The little note on dithering the image to 16 colors sounds useful, especially as I can see from the original screensaver images that they look a bit weird viewed on my PC screen, but perfect on the Kindle (while a few of my own images look just slightly poor on the Kindle); so I'd like to try that.
Is there any simple way to do this, e.g. a ImageMagick command or a tool that can do this? I looked around for a bit and wasn't really able to find anything.

Thanks in advance!
chipf0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #836
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
@chipf0rk I believe you can do a batch conversion in IrfanView.
Also IIRR (and it's been a while) Jackie's Copy cover to device should be able to do it from Calibre. Although the latter was just from colour to greyscale.

Last edited by Akirainblack; 11-27-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #837
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Akirainblack: It matters (in some circumstances) for the K2/3/4 version of the hack, so for the sake of simplicity, and because it's a good habit to take, I unified the FAQ on that point .

The *other* difference is, of course, quality: if you feed the Kindle a full-color image (or a full 8-bit grayscale image for that matter), the dithering will be done by the hardware, and it's a crappy, crappy dithering (fast, but crappy) compared to what any good decent image processing software will do.

@chipf0rk: Yup, ImageMagick would be good, that's what the cover mode uses .

You'll need the colormap, which you can rip from the hack (linkss/etc/kindle_colors.gif).

Scaling+Dithering:
Code:
convert in.jpg -filter LanczosSharp -resize 758x1024 -background black -gravity center -extent 758x1024 -colorspace Gray -dither FloydSteinberg -remap kindle_colors.gif -define png:bit-depth=8 -quality 75 out.png
And in case it isn't clear, the scaling part:
Code:
-filter LanczosSharp -resize 758x1024 -background black -gravity center -extent 758x1024
And the dithering part:
Code:
-colorspace Gray -dither FloydSteinberg -remap kindle_colors.gif -define png:bit-depth=8
Script that to loop around whatever your want in your favorite scripting language, and boom.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #838
chesterek15
chesterek15 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3w keyboard
Hi.
I have 2 blank files in linkss folder. auto & mounted_ss
In screensavers folder i have 3 files 758x1024 resolution in greyscale, *.png.
When i restart my kindle when is blocked I see list of my books ( my home screan). Why I don't see my screensavers?
chesterek15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #839
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@chesterek15:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
according to my nifty FAQ, that usually means that at least one of the images in your set is badly formatted/encoded for the Kindle.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #840
jonnyking
jonnyking began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite
Hi NiLuJe,

snapshots... new to kindle world. didnt realise i had a PW2 rather than a normal PW.

all is working sweet. Thanks! now to see if Kual can be added

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jonnyking: First, make sure you're using the snapshots, not the current releases.

Second, according to my nifty FAQ, that usually means that at least one of the images in your set is badly formatted/encoded for the Kindle.
jonnyking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch