Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #316
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The right most kindle has a bug in the screen. I'd send it back.

Also, the right most one is dimmer than the other three; maybe the light setting was a bit lower? Apart from the fact that it's a tad dimmer and that it's got a bug in there, they all look fine to me. At least in this picture
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #317
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Also, the right most one is dimmer than the other three; maybe the light setting was a bit lower? Apart from the fact that it's a tad dimmer and that it's got a bug in there, they all look fine to me. At least in this picture
Can you explain further? What bug are you seeing?

Ah nevermind.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #318
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it's the dragon from the book in the Kindle on the left.... it's now in the wrong book. This really is a mess. I'd complain to Amazon that the Kindle lets characters escape from one book to the other
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #319
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I think it's the dragon from the book in the Kindle on the left.... it's now in the wrong book. This really is a mess. I'd complain to Amazon that the Kindle lets characters escape from one book to the other
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #320
deslock
deslock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I only had three PWs in my photo, but I assume you're referring to my post since it's the one with a bug on the rightmost screen. They were all set to the same brightness.

Quote:
Heh.
deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #321
deslock
deslock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is a follow-up post with more photos comparing the two best Kindle Paperwhites of three I purchased.

Both have excellent contrast (compared the 3rd Kindle that I'm sending back), but the one on the right is better and has a warmer hue. More obvious in the photo is that the one on the right has more even lighting and is brighter when set to the same levels as the one on the left.

In addition, the one on the left has a slightly misaligned bezel and loose case (clicks when squeezed, as if it wasn't quite glued right).

The quality variations between units are a bit of a let down, but I really like the Kindle Paperwhite (better DPI and UI than previous models).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	level 2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	100820   Click image for larger version

Name:	level 2 text.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	100821   Click image for larger version

Name:	level 5.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	100822   Click image for larger version

Name:	level 5 text.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	100823  
deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #322
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslock View Post
This is a follow-up post with more photos comparing the two best Kindle Paperwhites of three I purchased.

Both have excellent contrast (compared the 3rd Kindle that I'm sending back), but the one on the right is better and has a warmer hue. More obvious in the photo is that the one on the right has more even lighting and is brighter when set to the same levels as the one on the left.

In addition, the one on the left has a slightly misaligned bezel and loose case (clicks when squeezed, as if it wasn't quite glued right).

The quality variations between units are a bit of a let down, but I really like the Kindle Paperwhite (better DPI and UI than previous models).
I like the one on the right.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #323
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It's strange that there is so much variation in quality between units.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #324
geekybookworm
geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW
So I got the replacement Kindle today and it is worse than the first.
The first one has got some light specks, a light bleed and some diamond shaped shadows on the bottom.
The replacement is noticeably dimmer and has a huge green shadow in the middle. The bleed on the left side is almost unnoticeable but it still has the light specks. They seem less irritating than on the first Kindle but I suppose that is because the screen is not so bright. I am sending this one back.
Both are from the 302 batch and the replacement was new not refurb.

I am not going to try for another replacement. My boyfriend says he will keep the original Kindle. It was supposed to be mine and he wanted to try it out and see if we would buy a second one for him, but he likes it a lot and doesn't mind the screen so much. Maybe he is just too lazy to keep replacing it.
I am not sure if I am going to buy another one for myself.
geekybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #325
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekybookworm View Post
So I got the replacement Kindle today and it is worse than the first.
The first one has got some light specks, a light bleed and some diamond shaped shadows on the bottom.
The replacement is noticeably dimmer and has a huge green shadow in the middle. The bleed on the left side is almost unnoticeable but it still has the light specks. They seem less irritating than on the first Kindle but I suppose that is because the screen is not so bright. I am sending this one back.
Both are from the 302 batch and the replacement was new not return.
What a shame

Quote:
I am not going to try for another replacement. My boyfriend says he will keep the original Kindle. It was supposed to be mine and he wanted to try it out and see if we would buy a second one for him, but he likes it a lot and doesn't mind the screen so much. Maybe he is just too lazy to keep replacing it.
I am not sure if I am going to buy another one for myself.
I remember you saying you had extra shipping costs because of your location, so it might be best if you wait for PW2 to come out, hopefully they'll have consistently good screens by then (or sent Jeff Bezos a nice email telling him how disappointed you are with the quality of the PW - maybe they'll send you a good one )
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #326
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
What a shame

I remember you saying you had extra shipping costs because of your location, so it might be best if you wait for PW2 to come out, hopefully they'll have consistently good screens by then (or sent Jeff Bezos a nice email telling him how disappointed you are with the quality of the PW - maybe they'll send you a good one )
I doubt it. I sent Jeff Bezos an email after getting the run-around forever and ever and then getting an email asking me how satisfied I was with the way Amazon customer service handled my call. I had spend a good chunk of my Sunday morning talking to them to no avail, so my answer was not favorable. If I may quote myself, I remember "not at all helpful" and "a waste of my time" being thrown in there...

Surprisingly, Jeff never answered .. And turns out I was complaining o the wrong Andrew. Oh well.

Jeff, if you read this, I still love Amazon and my Kindles; I just hope the PW2 will be perfect!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #327
geekybookworm
geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I doubt it. I sent Jeff Bezos an email after getting the run-around forever and ever and then getting an email asking me how satisfied I was with the way Amazon customer service handled my call. I had spend a good chunk of my Sunday morning talking to them to no avail, so my answer was not favorable. If I may quote myself, I remember "not at all helpful" and "a waste of my time" being thrown in there...

Surprisingly, Jeff never answered .. And turns out I was complaining o the wrong Andrew. Oh well.
I doubt he reads them. His PA probably sorts through them and deletes them. If it were me I would be pretty depressed reading through all the complaints.

It's a shame. The PW is pretty amazing apart from the screen. Or maybe I am just too nickpicky. But I know pretty good screens exist some of you guys have them.

Maybe I should get my brother play the replacement game with the PWs. He lives in UK so he could find one with the perfect screen for me. I would have to time it right though as he only comes to visit 2-3x a year.
But I don't think he would have the patience for that.
We wanted to buy one as a gift for our mom too, I was to be in charge of that operation but maybe he should try his luck.

One more question: should I contact CS and inform them I will be keeping the original PW? Do I need a new return label or can I use the one I have?
geekybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #328
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

If I were you, and had the money, I'd just order 10 Kindles at once.

Pick the best, send the rest back.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #329
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
My experience: I got a 3G PW batch 503 with an easily noticable bleeding light on the bottom. Returned that and got a wifi 603 with light (almost) perfectly even. Unfortunately, it suddenly developed a crack on screen. I am almost a 100% sure that I didn't scratch or hit it by accident. Today I got a replacement for it with batch number 604. Too bad the lighting is not as good as the 603 one. Amazon is sending me another PW. Hopefully I have a better luck this time

PS. Isn't this about time I ask for free non-special offer? :P

Last edited by Hypernova; 02-08-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #330
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
If I were you, and had the money, I'd just order 10 Kindles at once.

Pick the best, send the rest back.
I somehow think that Amazon may flag or even close your account if you did that, because it may seem like suspicious behavior.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote