Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #361
ErikJ
ErikJ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
I got my T2 a couple of days ago. It is my first e-reader and I have to say I am very impressed. As I only have Linux on my computers I have to use Calibre which is really great! Especially the fact I can access my Calibre library though wifi.

Now let's wait until somebody roots it and it will be perfect.
ErikJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #362
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
I've bought the last 3 Gens of Sony's. PRS-300, PRS-950, and PRS-T1.

Sony has always seemed like they were ahead of the pack in innovation. This year they just rereleased the same model.

I'm thinking of jumping ship to Amazon. The light is a big deal its the one thing I dont like about ereaders is they take a lot of light to look good.

I really like my T1 and will keep it for library books. But Sony has really disappointed me this go around.

Is there any chance Sony releases a T2 with a light, using the same tech as the Kindle PW, this year?
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #363
rpw4031
rpw4031 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
Did anyone else notice that on the goodereader unboxing video they received a voucher for the Harry Potter book even though it wasn't a black one?
rpw4031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #364
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpw4031 View Post
Did anyone else notice that on the goodereader unboxing video they received a voucher for the Harry Potter book even though it wasn't a black one?
Yes. It's also in the red one. A guy at the Sony store opened a box for me to see & it was in there too.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #365
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
If it's any consolation, when you look at the Kindle thread, you'll find folks there are as "meh" about the new kindle as we are about the T2. I've never liked the fact that Amazon readers are so limited in things you can buy, however, I have to say from what I've seen the paperwhite looked kind of impressive. (Not that I'm going to buy one).
Have you see the photo of the Paperwhite without the light on? It's just as grey as the previous Kindle Touch. It's the light being so bright and close to the screen that gives it the whitish background.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #366
IorekB
IorekB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T3S
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
[...]
Is there any chance Sony releases a T2 with a light, using the same tech as the Kindle PW, this year?
That thought crossed my mind, too. Do you think that Sony may have misjudged the development of the market and may be trying to catch up soon with Kobo and Amazon, thus breaking their annual release rate schedule?

What's the probability of them diversifying their reader line again, after relying on a sole T1 model for a year? The T2 may become the "entry level model" (after a price cut a few months down the road, bringing it more in line with the basic kindle/kobo touch...?), complemented by a "HD+light" device?
IorekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #367
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
My screen comparison

So my T2 arrived today. So far, I am really, really underwhelmed - and I've had two PRS 505s (one's screen gave up), two 650s (one got stolen) and a T1 before that, so I am (or rather, was) a very satisfied Sony customer and always thought they blew the Kindle out of the water.

Well, annoyingly, the T2 does not let me connect to the US Sony Store (that seems to be a firmware issue; I can choose lots of other countries, UK, Australia and New Zealand among them). I ordered it from Germany (because it came with a free cover) and live in Austria, so maybe, I shouldn't complain about this, but it still annoys me. I have no problems with the T1 connecting to the US store.

But, more importantly, the screen. It is a tad whiter, but so are the dark pixels. Comparing my T1 and my T2 side-by-side (same book, same page), the T1 has better contrast. It's not even close. I played around with the settings a bit, but couldn't really change things for the better.

So, all in all: no more buying books on the device for me, screen noticeably worse. That money could have been better spent.

I've got a Kindle Paperwhite on order through a friend in the US (knowing that I can't buy books on the device); we'll see how I like that screen.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #368
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
[...]
No way, if they started in lets say July, to push frantically push for a T2 LE (Light Edition), it would take them almost a year, I guess.

From the top of my head:
First they have to buy the hardware (the light source with the light distribution system), that takes a while, then they have to fit it into the existing reader, meaning a new button, new hardware interfaces and oh, it would be nice, if it didn't interfere with the touch functionality...
They would have to write new software / expand existing software, to control the light.
Then rigorous testing and have a factory prepared to produce it.
Top it of with new materials for packaging (rewriting the manual, updating the carton design, if they're lucky, else do a new carton from scratch) and doing a major marketing campaign (that would be necessary at this point). And some bureaucracy with the FDC and whatever of course.
So, no T2 LE this year or early next year in my opinion.
Of course I don't work for Sony, so I'm not privy to their development process and yes, some things can be done in parallel, but it just is a lot of work.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #369
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Frankly, I don't care so much about the light as I do a sharper, higher resolution screen. If they'd even given us that, I would have upgraded.

But as it is, I don't think there's enough change to do so this year. I just hope like heck they are working on both, the higher res and the light for next year.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #370
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I've been using Sony readers since right after the PRS-500 was launched (a truly revolutionary device). Ever since that time, I could honestly say that Sony had one of the best, if not the best, readers every year. This year that is not the case. I think Sony is giving up on ereaders. Their market share has dropped significantly. Just look at how many people access the Sony forums on Mobileread compared to Kobo or B&N, not to mention Amazon.

I think it's very possible that the T2 is Sony's swan song. Of course with Calibre and the various de-drm tools, we, the end users, are free to use whatever device we choose.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #371
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I've been using Sony readers since right after the PRS-500 was launched (a truly revolutionary device). Ever since that time, I could honestly say that Sony had one of the best, if not the best, readers every year. This year that is not the case. I think Sony is giving up on ereaders. Their market share has dropped significantly. Just look at how many people access the Sony forums on Mobileread compared to Kobo or B&N, not to mention Amazon.

I think it's very possible that the T2 is Sony's swan song. Of course with Calibre and the various de-drm tools, we, the end users, are free to use whatever device we choose.
I think you might be right about that. Especially after the new Sony turn around plan was announced a while ago
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #372
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
it's amazing that even in it's native country, Sony still hasn't released the T2 in Japan. I think it comes out on the 21st of September though. . .
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #373
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
So my T2 arrived today. So far, I am really, really underwhelmed - and I've had two PRS 505s (one's screen gave up), two 650s (one got stolen) and a T1 before that, so I am (or rather, was) a very satisfied Sony customer and always thought they blew the Kindle out of the water.

Well, annoyingly, the T2 does not let me connect to the US Sony Store (that seems to be a firmware issue; I can choose lots of other countries, UK, Australia and New Zealand among them). I ordered it from Germany (because it came with a free cover) and live in Austria, so maybe, I shouldn't complain about this, but it still annoys me. I have no problems with the T1 connecting to the US store.

But, more importantly, the screen. It is a tad whiter, but so are the dark pixels. Comparing my T1 and my T2 side-by-side (same book, same page), the T1 has better contrast. It's not even close. I played around with the settings a bit, but couldn't really change things for the better.

So, all in all: no more buying books on the device for me, screen noticeably worse. That money could have been better spent.

I've got a Kindle Paperwhite on order through a friend in the US (knowing that I can't buy books on the device); we'll see how I like that screen.
Thank you for giving your review on the screen contrast between T1 vs T2. I would also like to hear how either/both stack up against the Kindle Paperwhite if you have the time.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #374
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
...nevermind...
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #375
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I think the remark about lesser screen contrast is a bit exagerated. I have the strong impression the T2 screen is slightly better readable than the T1 screen (but I sold the T1 before buying the T2 so I cannot compare 'live').
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote