Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Help Please! Asus T91MT recovery disk

Y'all, I'm at my wit's end. I can't find the recovery disk that came with my ASUS T91MT convertible netbook/tablet. I need it to be able to restore it, so that I can sell it. (the money is to be used for travel expenses for daughter and grandbaby that I still haven't seen). If anyone has one of these, (I know several Mobile Read members own them), would it be possible to please get a copy or ISO of that disk?

Thanks;

ETA: I can't find it because there never WAS one. See below posts if you're curious.

Last edited by phenomshel; 04-04-2011 at 05:17 PM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Mine didn't come with a recovery CD, if I remember correctly there was a utility to create one IF you had an external DVD reader. I think the recovery code is on a hidden partition on the HDD. Since I had no desire to reload all the bloatware, I didn't make one.

I just use a Win7 Home Premium CD and the license code from the Asus and get a clean Win7 install.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wodin, this is what I thought also. I don't remember ever SEEING a disk with it, and there's none in the box, which is where I would have left it. Chris is insisting there HAD to be one, though. The Asus site, if I'm reading it correctly, says you can do a restore either from the hidden partition, OR with a recovery disc. I JUST now found their phone number in Fremont, California on the box. I'm going to call them and see if it came with a disc or not.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

ASUS support tells me it did NOT come with a disc. Sorry to bother y'all for nothing and thank you and Karma to Wodin who gave me the idea to call them.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your most welcome Shel, as I recall, you helped me out back when I was a noobe; I'm glad I could reciprocate.
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Good luck Shel... I had a computer with a total hardisk failure a couple of months back. I checked with a local computer store who told me that if the Microsoft windows license sticker on the computer was still readable he would install Windows on the new hard drive. This might be an option for you?
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Bill, there's a "hidden" partition on the ASUS that Chris can restore from, but the way the ASUS site reads, it's like they "expect" you to have a recovery disk, and I think that's where we got confused. There is indeed a license sticker on the device, so reinstalling Windows shouldn't be a problem. I also think the not including a recovery/restore disk might have happened during the lifetime of the product so some devices got them and some didn't. Mine apparently didn't, since I was required to give the serial number to the guy at ASUS when I called them, when he assured me that it didn't come with one because they were "going green" and not sending them anymore.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate

As I discovered with the T-91MT, the problem with using a generic Win7 install is that while Win7 Home Premium comes with touch extensions, Asus has added others specific to their hardware. If you just install Windows, you don’t get those. You can go to the Asus website and download them, but that is nearly as much hassle as banishing the bloatware. So take your choice; personally I prefer a clean install, and chose which extensions I want.