Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Hmmm I may very well be in the market for a slimfit...
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Further thinking : while the real leather one might also be tempting, I'm less interested in those cases with which you have to slide the reader in, since it adds extra height and makes it more difficult for fingers to reach the screen, especially near the borders.
It has been my experience on Kobo Touch with the luxe cover (reading lamp model) anyway.

Plus, I'm afraid this leather one would be a bit too much on the heavy side for my taste, and on the thick side for my handbag's.

Plastic shell and overall material is definitely less sexy on this slimfit case but, provided it has sleep function, I will still probably go for it.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #18
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Just a quick warning (esp for those in the UK) not to buy the August Lion leather cover from ebay - the seller is apparently continuing to advertise these as designed for the Glo with full access to all ports and functions, when they plainly are not designed for the Glo and the feedback shows that the sd slot, light button and perhaps even the power button are occluded by the case.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Skindigital has a cover for the Glo that will be available at the end of the month
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Great that you warned us Markino

thanks Estelle to let us know
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
Great that you warned us Markino
My pleasure.

I'm more careful this time around, after I previously bought a Kobo Touch case which covered the power switch. Still, it ended up being a good case (after I went to work with the scalpel)...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I bought one of these as a temporary measure until I find a case I really like.

The spine part of the cover isn't quite as deep as it should be (the Kindle is a little flatter than the Glo), but it still fastens okay. I can fold the front cover behind the reader, and fasten it in place with the closure tab. The magnet doesn't affect the sleep/wake mechanism.

Despite the pictures on the website, the interior of mine is grey, not brown.

The silicone pad does hold the Glo in place nicely and it hasn't slipped yet.
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_terr View Post
I bought one of these as a temporary measure until I find a case I really like.

The spine part of the cover isn't quite as deep as it should be (the Kindle is a little flatter than the Glo), but it still fastens okay. I can fold the front cover behind the reader, and fasten it in place with the closure tab. The magnet doesn't affect the sleep/wake mechanism.

Despite the pictures on the website, the interior of mine is grey, not brown.

The silicone pad does hold the Glo in place nicely and it hasn't slipped yet.
Interesrting. Does the pad leave any residue on the Kobo? How good is the fit on the height and width? Can you use it with the clasp on the front and not the back?

Thanks
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #24
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Interesrting. Does the pad leave any residue on the Kobo? How good is the fit on the height and width? Can you use it with the clasp on the front and not the back?

Thanks
The case hasn't left any residue on the back of the kobo, apart from a vague outline of where it had been.

Height and width seem to be okay.

Last edited by Jez_terr; 11-20-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
Ditto - Do not buy this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
Just a quick warning (esp for those in the UK) not to buy the August Lion leather cover from ebay - the seller is apparently continuing to advertise these as designed for the Glo with full access to all ports and functions, when they plainly are not designed for the Glo and the feedback shows that the sd slot, light button and perhaps even the power button are occluded by the case.
The seller does not return postage and e-bay payment protection only covers original purchase cost. I had to take out a "Not As Described" case against the vendor to get my money back and I'm still out of pocket for return postage. (The vendor initially indicated that he would refund a Second Class return, but hasn't).

E-bay Buyer Protection requires a "Tracked" parcel to continue a case, which I only found out later, after being duped into returning second class. I'm steering clear of E-bay from now on.

Greg
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
markino
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
I'm still out of pocket...
Yes, a deceptive seller too.

The pics on the ad looked like there was no sd slot access, despite the "designed for Glo" tag and statements about access to all ports etc, and there was no pic of the top at all. So I asked about the sd slot, power and light switches - no reponse.

I prompted and got a reply stating no sd card access (no mention of the other aspects of my question). So I asked again - no response. So I got bored and ordered it anyway, but sent a message saying if it was mis-advertised (as it plainly already was) and arrived with no access to the other switches, I would be returning it for a refund plus postage.

Lo and behold, I never received it - blamed on postal service, and the next communication stated he had already initiated a full refund. Obviously a premeditated attempt to mis-sell.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
markino
Connoisseur

It might be helpful for people to see a few more cases with an actual Glo in them, with pointers as to upsides and downsides, so...

This one is from here, on Amazon UK. It's only £3.99, so I thought what the hell. The Glo slides in from the top, with a tuck-in flap to secure it...

Once in, it is VERY snug - no way it's going to come out.

It has full access to the usb port on the bottom, but no access to the sd card slot.

The outside cover overlaps the edges of the Glo by quite a way, and seems very tough and stiff, so I'm fairly confident that it will protect quite well against a fall, even on a corner. The dimensions seem a very good fit generally, ALMOST as if it really is designed for the Glo - except the tuck-in flap occludes the light button and part of the power switch - see next pic:

I'm probably going to keep this one as my main case anyway, for various reasons: I can always cut some of this flap away if I want access to the top button/switch, I really like the stand...

As well as being free-standing, the front cover will flip right around to the back for reading normally. Also, I'm planning to magnetise it to the gills, and it looks like it will lend itself to this quite well...

In this pic above you can see my temporary (selotaped) on/off magnet, which works perfectly (and doesn't switch the Glo off again when the front cover is flipped around flat to the back, as the hinge-section at the bottom means that the magnet is either too low or too high to trigger the switch).

I'm also planning to put magnets at the top of the front cover and the "sleeve", to keep the cover closed (instead of the elastic band, which I'll cut off), and again on the back cover so that when the front cover is flipped around it will snap (hopefully) to the back.

Because the cover looks like it is lined over the entire inside, I'm hoping it will be possible to cut the lining with a scalpel and slide the magnets I bought (slim but strong, from ebay here) inside the actual cover, with a dab of glue to secure and re-seal.

Will report back as to how this goes, but if you would prefer a more "book-style" cover...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall01.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	96544   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall03.jpg
Views:	1698
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	96545   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall04.jpg
Views:	1656
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	96546   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall06.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	96547   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall07.jpg
Views:	1675
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	96548  

Last edited by markino; 11-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
markino
Connoisseur

This one is more book-like:

Amazon UK again, here. £4.99.

Again, the Glo slides in from the top, but no tuck-in flap or anything to secure it, which means that there is nothing in the way of the button/switch on the top, so that's good. Also, if anything, this one is even more of a snug fit than the other one, so even with nothing else holding it in, it's not going to come out unless, while utterly immersed in your book, you are hit by a truck while crossing the road. And even then, I'd say probably not. And no, I will not be testing this. On purpose, anyway.

Again, it has full access to the usb port on the bottom, but no access to the sd card slot.

The only real downside...

... as you can probably see from the next pic, is that this one is much tighter around the screen, so it could be tricky to touch the very edges of the screen (especially if you have larger fingers).

I may magnetise this one too, as a backup, depending on how it goes with the other case. Even together, both these cases cost less than the dodgy ebay one mentioned above.

Again, I would probably make this magnetic fastening (and cut the strap off). My old Touch case was perfect in this regard - just snapped shut with magnets, and personally I don't like the idea of a strap flapping about while I'm trying to read.

If anyone needs any further info on these, let me know...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kobocoverssmall08.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	96552   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall09.jpg
Views:	1862
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	96553   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall10.jpg
Views:	1559
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	96554   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall12.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	96555   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall13.jpg
Views:	1576
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	96556  

Last edited by markino; 11-20-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I really like the Kobo official SleepCover in grey fabric. I've become very, very fond of it.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
markino
Connoisseur

Few more pics of that second one, as I had them handy...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kobocoverssmall14.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	96561   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall15.jpg
Views:	1548
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	96562   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobocoverssmall16.jpg
Views:	1529