Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have the audio book on request at my local library. Since I have a driving commute, I'm doing a lot more ear-reading than eye-reading now.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I can't decide if I want to try reading this book. The Kennedy assassination fascinates me, but I gave up on Stephen King way back around Firestarter--the only books of his I like are Carrie and Salem's Lot.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I have the audio book on request at my local library. Since I have a driving commute, I'm doing a lot more ear-reading than eye-reading now.
My best friend got it, and it clocks in at a healthy 31 hours.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Product Details

File Size: 136 MB
Print Length: 960 pages
Publisher: Scribner; Original edition (November 8, 2011)
Sold by: Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Language: English
ASIN: B004Q7CIFI
Is that seriously the size of the ebook? I am guessing that audio and video is what's making that thing so big, and I am hoping you don't have to download that into your kindle.
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 11/22/63 by Stephen King - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock415 View Post
Quote:
Product Details

File Size: 136 MB
Print Length: 960 pages
Publisher: Scribner; Original edition (November 8, 2011)
Sold by: Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Language: English
ASIN: B004Q7CIFI
Is that seriously the size of the ebook? I am guessing that audio and video is what's making that thing so big, and I am hoping you don't have to download that into your kindle.
must be, here's the specs on the one w/o the extra stuff
Quote:
Product Details

* Format: Kindle Edition
* File Size: 2723 KB
* Print Length: 960 pages
* Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1451627289
* Publisher: Scribner; Original edition (November 8, 2011)
* Sold by: Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
* Language: English
* ASIN: B005K0HDGE
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock415 View Post
Yep, that's only the A/V version.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I can't decide if I want to try reading this book. The Kennedy assassination fascinates me, but I gave up on Stephen King way back around Firestarter--the only books of his I like are Carrie and Salem's Lot.
Well, I'm 17% of the way in and I'm loving it so far.

Like you and a lot of other people, I was an early King fan but lost interest after a few stinkers, which began for me with The Tommyknockers and went downhill from there. From King's On Writing: "By 1985 I had added drug addiction to my alcohol problem, yet I continued to function, as a good many substance abusers do, on a marginally competent level. I was terrified not to; by then I had no idea of how to live any other life... In the spring and summer of 1986 I wrote The Tommyknockers, often working until midnight with my heart running at a hundred and thirty beats a minute and cotton swabs stuck up my nose to stem the coke-induced bleeding."

Now I wouldn't be one to say that an alcoholic drug addict can't be an excellent writer as well, but in King's case it apparently didn't work out, by his own account. And it went on for years.

There's a round-up of all the professional reviews of 11/22/63 over at metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/bo...y-stephen-king

No spoilers there, just a brief excerpt from each review which reflects the reviewer's general impression.

Of the 25 reviews, there's 1 "Mixed" and 24 "Liked it" or "Loved it".

Come on, give it a shot. You know you want to.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
There's a round-up of all the professional reviews of 11/22/63 over at metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/bo...y-stephen-king

No spoilers there, just a brief excerpt from each review which reflects the reviewer's general impression.

Of the 25 reviews, there's 1 "Mixed" and 24 "Liked it" or "Loved it".

Come on, give it a shot. You know you want to.
I wanted to more before I found out how many pages there are! Thanks for the review round-up; unfortunately, the criticisms are exactly what made me stop reading Stephen King so many years ago, especially the one about the buildup being better than the payoff. That is a pet peeve.

I think I may try Colorado Kid or Blockade Billy to get an idea of more recent Stephen King writing before I decide to read 800+ pages.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Happy to be of service, m'lady!

edit: I haven't read either Colorado Kid or Blockade Billy, but I have read King's recent book, Full Dark, No Stars, which I enjoyed very much. It consists of one short story and three longer (novella length, maybe?) stories. The whole book is probably less than half the size of 11/22/63. I thought the stories were excellent and as good as anything he's done before, and they all had strong endings. Sounds like it might be something you'd like to check out.

Last edited by mrsquash; 11-09-2011 at 08:40 PM.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #25
Quake1028
Guru

I've read all 3 of those books (BB, CK, FDNS), and after ~20% of 11/22/63, none of those things even compare.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #26
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool liked recent king books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I wanted to more before I found out how many pages there are! Thanks for the review round-up; unfortunately, the criticisms are exactly what made me stop reading Stephen King so many years ago, especially the one about the buildup being better than the payoff. That is a pet peeve.

I think I may try Colorado Kid or Blockade Billy to get an idea of more recent Stephen King writing before I decide to read 800+ pages.
i sure enjoyed blockade billy as well as the recent full dark, no stars. and i also liked under the dome a lot too
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #27
Quake1028
Guru

Under the Dome is on my list for early next year.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #28
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Under the Dome was really good. It also didn't suffer from a lackluster third act, which some King novels are prone to do.

Looking forward to reading 11/22/63 a lot. I almost wish I had waited to buy 1Q84 and read that next because I think I'm more excited to read King's new book.

I'm also super-excited to read "The Night Eternal," the third book in Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's vampire trilogy. But I read the first two from the library and I'm waiting for them to get the third book so I don't have to buy it.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #29
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
I bought the sample on Amazon.com and was sufficiently hooked to buy the whole book. I don't mind - there are worse things to spend the money on, and I'm a Stephen King fan anyway.

Am about 10% through the book - liking it so far.

Last edited by ~Kate; 11-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #30
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
You can read the NY Times review here http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/31/bo...%20king&st=cse
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote