Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #20296
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Consent to Kill by Vince Flynn and what a page turner. Next up Nemesis by Jo Nesbo; first one of his I've read.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #20297
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

My library hold of City by Clifford Simak became available so on to that. Eagerly anticipated.
I was somewhat disappointed by this. Simak really hated war and abhorred the atom bomb. His condemnation of man was total and complete. Despite a few admirable traits he has mankind come to an ignoble end. Certainly different conclusion than the usual 1950s sci-fi. Rated B- [4 stars].

Next is another library loan Earth Strike by Ian Douglas. This is a hard sci-fi which I generally don't care for. I prefer events occurring in real time and not having everyone wait 40 minutes for light to catch up.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #20298
Dazrin
Guru
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It took me over 2 weeks to read Royal Assassin after it finally came in but I am finished now. Next will be The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) which also finally came in from the library. Only a few month's late for the book club. I am also going to try to read The Club of Queer Trades for the literary club this month.

After that I will try to get Assassin's Quest and finally finish the Farseer Trilogy after starting it back in the late 90s.
Well, I finished The Cuckoo's Calling today and enjoyed it very much. I doubt I will get to The Club of Queer Trades this month but hopefully soon.

Next will probably be Ready Player One, which unfortunately doesn't look like it will be the August book club selection but came in from the library so I don't have much time to wait.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #20299
Hampshire Nanny
Groupie
Hampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trolls

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
During lunch I finished reading Heavenly Pleasures by Kerry Greenwood. Next up are Torch of Freedom by David Weber and Eric Flint and U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton. I need to load Torch of Freedom onto my Kindle.
And for the next day or so, I thrashed around, starting no less than 3 books, but finally settling down to finish reading Charlotte Tweed and the School for Orphaned Dragons. This was a freebie that I picked up at the beginning of June. Young adult fantasy -- magic and dragons! It was pretty good, but I'm angry that the author published it before the story is finished. The story just stopped with a "to be continued in book 2" notice. (Book 2 is not yet available.) Now I'm going to take Torch of Freedom to bed with me.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:00 AM   #20300
LovesMacs
Evangelist
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPhone
I'm splitting most of my reading between Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August, a history of the beginnings of World War I, and Franklin Foer's How Soccer Explains the World. I'm about halfway through these books.

The Tuchman book is interesting at times but other times I lose track of all the names. I'm continuing to read the book mostly because of the war's anniversary. Is the book the problem, or is it me? Perhaps I'm not in the right mood for this kind of writing.

As for the Foer book, I've learned things I never knew before about the links between ultra-violent soccer (football) fans and the brutalities during the breakup of what used to be called Yugoslavia. There's more to the book than that, but I've only read as far as the discussion of who owns Brazil's football (soccer) clubs.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #20301
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
The Tuchman book is interesting at times but other times I lose track of all the names. I'm continuing to read the book mostly because of the war's anniversary. Is the book the problem, or is it me? Perhaps I'm not in the right mood for this kind of writing.
No, it's not you. I had much the same problem with The Guns of August, and then followed that by reading T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom, which has the same problem. Of course Lawrence was writing just a few years after the end of the war, when most folks reading the book would know many, if not most of the names - at least of the English officers.

I'm current about half way through The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell. It's set in colonial India a bit earlier - 1857 or so - but is proving to be a snarky story poking fun (in a very black humor way) at the manners and attitudes of the English in India at the time. Kind of Jane Austen meets Gunga Din - and so far really interesting.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote