Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
What happens if my PC crashes and the Reader App stops working?

Hi all, I hope I'm not becoming tiresome with the questions I've been asking lately!

Okay, so I now know that if I lose my Sony PRS-T2 I'm fine because I can just sync the replacement to my PC and my books and my notes will be synced to the new device assuming the replacement is a PRS-T2, right?. The quotes I've highlighted and uploaded to Evernote will be there because Evernote runs on the cloud so it'll always be there.

However, what happens if my PC crashes and my hard drive dies? If I sync my PRS-T2, which is the last copy of my e-books and highlights, would the Reader software look at my PC and think that the PC is the most 'up to date' and therefore it'll wipe out my PRS-T2? How would this work?

Also, in the case where the PRS-T2 dies and the PC is fine, what would happen if the replacement Reader device I buy is a Sony PRS-T3 or a PRS-T1 and not the PRS-T2? I wish Sony had a cloud solution for everything...

Thank you for any help!
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Hi all, I hope I'm not becoming tiresome with the questions I've been asking lately!

Okay, so I now know that if I lose my Sony PRS-T2 I'm fine because I can just sync the replacement to my PC and my books and my notes will be synced to the new device assuming the replacement is a PRS-T2, right?. The quotes I've highlighted and uploaded to Evernote will be there because Evernote runs on the cloud so it'll always be there.

However, what happens if my PC crashes and my hard drive dies? If I sync my PRS-T2, which is the last copy of my e-books and highlights, would the Reader software look at my PC and think that the PC is the most 'up to date' and therefore it'll wipe out my PRS-T2? How would this work?

Also, in the case where the PRS-T2 dies and the PC is fine, what would happen if the replacement Reader device I buy is a Sony PRS-T3 or a PRS-T1 and not the PRS-T2? I wish Sony had a cloud solution for everything...

Thank you for any help!
Here is how the sync works (from my experiences with Reader and Reader the PC app).

The very first sync will create a sync reference on the PC app per connected device. Then, any change(addition/deletion) on the PC app library will be candidates for next sync. Any book addition & deletion on the Reader will not affect the library in the PC app. Think of the PC app as a master and the device as a slave. For annotations, they will if made on different locations on the same book, otherwise the latest one will override. You can simply remove a ticker at the sync screen to turn it off.

If your PC crashes and T2 is OK, everything on T2 will stay safe even after sync with a fresh new PC app with no books because there is no reference of sync candidates. So, copy all books on T2 to the PC app's library by the PC app (not folder or file copy) by the copy to library icon found at the left bottom of the app. This will also copy annotations. Then, run sync manually to create the latest sync reference. Any change at the PC app from this point will be reflected to the Reader.

If your T2 dies and your PC is OK, just connect a new one and the PC app will do everything; from authorization to copying all the books and annotations on them in the library to the new device. The new one does not have to be the same T2. Older and newer models of Reader will do the work, but to maintain 100% compatibility of all annotations, the same T2 is recommended, but T1 or T3 should be fine as long as your annotations are highlighted texts and memo in them.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
Here is how the sync works (from my experiences with Reader and Reader the PC app).

The very first sync will create a sync reference on the PC app per connected device. Then, any change(addition/deletion) on the PC app library will be candidates for next sync. Any book addition & deletion on the Reader will not affect the library in the PC app. Think of the PC app as a master and the device as a slave. For annotations, they will if made on different locations on the same book, otherwise the latest one will override. You can simply remove a ticker at the sync screen to turn it off.

If your PC crashes and T2 is OK, everything on T2 will stay safe even after sync with a fresh new PC app with no books because there is no reference of sync candidates. So, copy all books on T2 to the PC app's library by the PC app (not folder or file copy) by the copy to library icon found at the left bottom of the app. This will also copy annotations. Then, run sync manually to create the latest sync reference. Any change at the PC app from this point will be reflected to the Reader.

If your T2 dies and your PC is OK, just connect a new one and the PC app will do everything; from authorization to copying all the books and annotations on them in the library to the new device. The new one does not have to be the same T2. Older and newer models of Reader will do the work, but to maintain 100% compatibility of all annotations, the same T2 is recommended, but T1 or T3 should be fine as long as your annotations are highlighted texts and memo in them.
Wow, I really appreciate your detailed reply!

I'm still a bit worried about what will happen if my PC crashes and the PRS-T2 is fine. I think I'd have a mental breakdown if I plugged in my PRS-T2 and the PC app just wiped out the PRS-T2 with my e-books and highlights. I have a PC I just put together and I'd like to test it on this, but I need to for certain that the new PC's Sony Reader app won't wipe out what I've got on the PRS-T2.

I'm planning to try and use the Evernote functionality as much as I can so that the work I do on the PRS-T2 will be kept on the Evernote cloud, rather than relying on the Sony Reader PC app. Do you think this is a good idea?

Do you think I'll have any issues with relying on Evernote?

Thank you, sir!

Last edited by EbookNovice; 11-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Big up best friend's PC, install Calibre, transfer all books into Calibre library.

Be nice to them and never fall out.........

Anyway, ditch the Sony software on yours anyway and use Calibre, for an easy life.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Agree with carpetmojo about using Calibre and ditching the Sony software. And if you're worried about both your PC and your reader getting nuked at the same moment, use free cloud storage space as another safety backup.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Wow, I really appreciate your detailed reply!

I'm still a bit worried about what will happen if my PC crashes and the PRS-T2 is fine. I think I'd have a mental breakdown if I plugged in my PRS-T2 and the PC app just wiped out the PRS-T2 with my e-books and highlights. I have a PC I just put together and I'd like to test it on this, but I need to for certain that the new PC's Sony Reader app won't wipe out what I've got on the PRS-T2.

I'm planning to try and use the Evernote functionality as much as I can so that the work I do on the PRS-T2 will be kept on the Evernote cloud, rather than relying on the Sony Reader PC app. Do you think this is a good idea?

Do you think I'll have any issues with relying on Evernote?

Thank you, sir!
If you are really worried, simply copy entire user storage space of your Reader to a folder in your PC and try the app. If there is any problem, you can simply restore the backup by copying back to the Reader. You may also try out what others have suggested and decide what suits your needs the most.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
If you are really worried, simply copy entire user storage space of your Reader to a folder in your PC and try the app. If there is any problem, you can simply restore the backup by copying back to the Reader. You may also try out what others have suggested and decide what suits your needs the most.
Alright, thanks a lot brother!

Do you use Calibre? Why or why not?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I use calibre for too many reasons to mention. It is very comprehensive. But you do not have to use them all.

Initially I used it to add series info to the titles. Soon stopped that

Now I use it mainly to keep everything organised and to have my ebooks consistent in appearance on my reader, and to manage my ereaders and keep track of what I have read etc. etc..

I have a friend with severe vision problems (vision distortion that can't be corrected by lens) and a love of the classics. He uses calibre because he can actually read comfortably (he says) with the calibre viewer on an 18 inch laptop screen. He has read more since August than he had in the last 20 years.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
EbookNovice
Banned

I just wanted to clarify what would happen my PC or Sony PRS-T2 died.

If my PC died and then I replaced it and plugged in my PRS-T2, how would the PC Reader app know that the PRS-T2 is the 'master' device and that I want whatever is on the PRS-T2 to be copied to the PC Reader app.

Same thing goes to what happens if my PRS-T2 died. How would the PC Reader app know that I wanted to copy all of my books and annotations to the PRS-T2?

Thanks!

How can I test out if the system works?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
EbookNovice
Banned

My main concern is this: If I replaced my PC or Sony PRS-T2, how would the Reader for PC app know if the PRS-T2 or the PC was the 'master'? Couldn't it wipe out my files?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Pretty sure not, but better to have a backup.

Lots of ways to do this, but if you install calibre, hook up T2, you can copy the books on the device to the calibre library.
I won't go into detail as you may not want to use calibre.

There is no defined master/slave relationship.

Neither the Sony software or calibre will delete the books unless you instruct them to do so.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote