Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Calibre on Ubuntu: not converting CHM to epub

I have couple of documents that are in CHM format that I would like to convert to ePub and read them on my Nook. The problem is that Calibre on Ubuntu (that is OS that I have on my desktop now) doesn't seem to recognize chm format. I keep getting "Could not convert because no suitable source format was found" message. How do I convert from chm to epub via Calibre on Ubuntu?
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by varelov View Post
I have couple of documents that are in CHM format that I would like to convert to ePub and read them on my Nook. The problem is that Calibre on Ubuntu (that is OS that I have on my desktop now) doesn't seem to recognize chm format. I keep getting "Could not convert because no suitable source format was found" message. How do I convert from chm to epub via Calibre on Ubuntu?
What version of calibre are you using?

Repository versions of Calibre are not supported. If you have a old version (current version is 0.7.52) installed then follow the directions on calibre's Linux download page and use the binary install method for installing calibre on your system.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Ubuntu's versions are very old.

Ubuntu's versions are also known to be broken. Thank the Ubuntu packagers who think they know better than us. PDF for instance will give you a lot of issues because they removed forked bundled librares and are trying to have calibre use the incompatible versions Ubuntu ships with.

As dwanthny said, distro packages are unsupported by us. You either need to use the official binary install dwanthny links to or you will need to contact Ubuntu for help.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Thanks for the replies! So if I install from source, and use that installation of Calibre, I will be able to convert from CHM to ePub?
I am not interested in PDF at all. All it takes is a bulleted list and the display of the PDF document on my nook classic is broken.
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
PDF was just an example of one compatibility issue caused by Ubuntu's packaging, there are many others. You don't need to build from source, that requires installing a lot of specific dependencies. Just use the binary installer for Linux, all dependencies are already properly bundled that way.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! So if I install from source, and use that installation of Calibre, I will be able to convert from CHM to ePub?
I am not interested in PDF at all. All it takes is a bulleted list and the display of the PDF document on my nook classic is broken.
Use the Binary Install from the Calibre (Linux)download page,
No need to Build from source (see my Sig )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
What theducks said will work for you - I had a similar issue on 10.04 and it was fixed by using the binary install.
mmessina is offline   Reply With Quote