Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Stone Barrington: Stuart Woods: Light reading.

I've read the first 22 books of the series. New York Cop turned lawyer who runs into all kinds of on going murder cases and dangerous people in New York. No Court action.
I have to say I have enjoyed the series as light reading.
I would avoid No. 21 and 22 on though as the ideas seriously run out and the writing takes a nose dive.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
I too have the full series but only read when i need a light "forget it" read, find them a bit too light at times and a bit self indulgent. I wonder if he uses ghost writers as some seem very formulaic to me.
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have the first 28 e-books, all unread and I don't think I'll ever read them.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I read the first book but so far haven't been inspired to read more.

Is Barrington one of those characters who continually gets involved with unsuitable women? or was that just the first book?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh, sooooooo many unsuitable women; although Woods (or his writer minions) seems to be toning that aspect of the books down a bit. Maybe Stone is finally growing up!!

I've just finished #30 Cut and Thrust and found it to be a fairly decent read. It went off in a new direction with the focus more on politics instead of the usual sex/wealth/beautiful people storyline. This one had a great plot with all the strategy and behind the scenes deals of American politics and I thought it was very enjoyable.
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I got started with Stuart Woods through his Chiefs series and I like that one better.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I like these books. As mentioned, they're nice light reads.

I've never read the Chiefs books. Might have to remedy that.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert501 View Post
Oh, sooooooo many unsuitable women; although Woods (or his writer minions) seems to be toning that aspect of the books down a bit. Maybe Stone is finally growing up!!

I've just finished #30 Cut and Thrust and found it to be a fairly decent read. It went off in a new direction with the focus more on politics instead of the usual sex/wealth/beautiful people storyline. This one had a great plot with all the strategy and behind the scenes deals of American politics and I thought it was very enjoyable.
Did you find the 21/22 episodes (approx) as poor as I did ? and the portrayal of his son ? I am up to 25 now and it is recovering, though becoming very political/CIA orientated.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
Did you find the 21/22 episodes (approx) as poor as I did ? and the portrayal of his son ? I am up to 25 now and it is recovering, though becoming very political/CIA orientated.
Yes. The books around 20/22 were so bad-I have nothing to compare! Just bad plotting, bad characterization and bad writing. Do you ever wish you knew an author personally so you could call them up and say "what is wrong with you?" Probably lose a friend real quick but sometimes I would do it!!

As to the political/CIA theme he has going on now-I'm enjoying it and they make a nice change from the previously mentioned. I do think if I was a new reader to the series I would find them tedious and hard to follow. If that makes sense-readers familiar with the characters will probably enjoy seeing them in different situations than the usual but I don't think there is enough substance there to keep newbies around for more than one book.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
saoir
Groupie

bert501 I agree 100%. I came very close to abandoning the series during those two books. Your point about familiarity keeping me going is also completely correct. Also if I were a reader with higher standards I would have abandoned a long time ago However I only read for light enjoyment and relaxations so I am keeping going a bit more.
The CIA politics theme is ok ... but what is still irritating me is the excessive and conspicuous wealth that Woods seems so obsessed with. Hey .. nothing wrong with wealth per se, but does everyone really have to be multi millionaires or billionaires ? Every car have to be 200k+ model ? Every meal have to be room service ? Every friend have to be CIA head, or conglomerate CEO ? MI5 Director ? or President ? ........ I'd love to talk to Woods' therapist

Anyway .. I'll stay for a few more, for now
Old 09-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
bert501
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
bert501 I agree 100%. I came very close to abandoning the series during those two books. Your point about familiarity keeping me going is also completely correct. Also if I were a reader with higher standards I would have abandoned a long time ago However I only read for light enjoyment and relaxations so I am keeping going a bit more.
The CIA politics theme is ok ... but what is still irritating me is the excessive and conspicuous wealth that Woods seems so obsessed with. Hey .. nothing wrong with wealth per se, but does everyone really have to be multi millionaires or billionaires ? Every car have to be 200k+ model ? Every meal have to be room service ? Every friend have to be CIA head, or conglomerate CEO ? MI5 Director ? or President ? ........ I'd love to talk to Woods' therapist

Anyway .. I'll stay for a few more, for now
I wonder if his therapist has a solid gold couch