Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
If I had a choice between Tor being DRM-free vs. Tor allowing retailers to discount their ebooks so that they are priced at or below the retailer's discounted price for Tor paperbacks, I'd rather have discounts.

I wonder if DRM-free + discounting will be the death-knell for the retailers with painful ebook stores, like Sony.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
hmmmmm - Macmillan tests selling to Kindle users outside of Amazon?
That was my first thought too. If the DOJ wins the price fixing suit and Macmillan has to ditch the agency model, Macmillan might just stop selling through Amazon. Maybe they are contemplating the Pottermore model and want to test it out using Tor.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Interesting. I don't think its a coincidence that Macmillan (who led the agency charge against Amazon) is trying this gambit.
If it can get its authors on board, Macmillan might want to do a Pottermore and go DRM free all the way, regardless of the DOJ lawsuit.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This is great and all, but I hope they're going to be doing something different with the pricing too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Consumers have the final say in this power play. Pity they won't exercise it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
<happy dance> I may go buy a Tor book just to reward them.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I wonder where they'd sell them that it's clear they're DRM-free. Will they put them through Webscriptions? Amazon and B&N don't label non-DRM'd books, and I don't think the iBookstore allows them at all.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Just saw this on a news feed. Way to go, Tor!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I believe I read that Amazon was back to labelling DRM free books. Something about usage on simultanious devices. I don't know the exact wording.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I wonder where they'd sell them that it's clear they're DRM-free. Will they put them through Webscriptions? Amazon and B&N don't label non-DRM'd books, and I don't think the iBookstore allows them at all.
Kobo clearly states whether or not a book has DRM directly on the product page where the Download Options are.

Amazon has reinstated the "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" secret codephrase in the main store after removing it for ~ 2 months.

B&N and iTunes are mystery meat as far as DRM-free notices goes, but apparently you can now have DRM-free books in the iTunes store as some people have reported that using some stripping tools on their freebie iBooks results in learning that some of them never had DRM in the first place (there may be some indication on the Get Info within iTunes after "purchase").

Maybe Tor will start putting them through the Baen store again, though probably just a limited selection for which they have worldwide rights, since Baen doesn't do geo-restrictions as far as I can tell.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
And that higher resolution goes away when converted to Mobi and placed on a KIndle. So why should I buy and convert and EPUb?

Not to mention, 99% of the books I read do not have images so I could care less about image quality.
Not always so. Sometimes the images n the Mobipocket are not as high a resolution as the format allows and converting from the ePub can in some cases end up with better images. It works in most cases with covers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not always so. Sometimes the images n the Mobipocket are not as high a resolution as the format allows and converting from the ePub can in some cases end up with better images. It works in most cases with covers.
Cool. (shrugs) I still don't care. I don't buy the book for the cover and I don't care what the cover looks like on my e-reader. I get that this is important for some folks, it is not important for me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/04/tor...to-go-drm-free

I've had my eye an a few of their books, but since I'm unwilling to buy books with DRM on them I've gotten them from the library instead. Hopefully they actually go through with it. Tor tried to go with Baen Webscriptions years ago and had it nixed by their MacMillan overlords.

Greg Weeks
Tor doesn't allow their eBooks to be borrowed via Overdrive. What library are you using that has Tor's eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
There is one reason not to buy from Amazon: if you buy an ePub elsewhere, you'll get higher-resolution images and (unless the publisher is using KF8 already) better styles & any custom fonts the publisher used.
I read fiction and narrative non-fiction, so in most cases, this will not be worth the additional time of converting the book and the disadvantage of not having it in my Amazon archive.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tor doesn't allow their eBooks to be borrowed via Overdrive. What library are you using that has Tor's eBooks?
I read that as "I borrowed paper editions from the library."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote