Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
converting pdf to mobi

the original file size is 739KB. the converted file size is 1,011 kb. Is this increase in file size normal?

Also, the formatting looks just fine when I open the original pdf in ADE, but in the converted file, there are broken lines, and other odd artifacts of conversion.

i've not done much conversion at all, and this is my first one from pdf - are there any settings I should use for a cleaner final file?

The book is this month's free book from University of Chicago: Collections of Nothing. I'm trying to convert it so my parents (who are even less technical than I am) can read it on their kindle.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
the original file size is 739KB. the converted file size is 1,011 kb. Is this increase in file size normal?

Also, the formatting looks just fine when I open the original pdf in ADE, but in the converted file, there are broken lines, and other odd artifacts of conversion.

i've not done much conversion at all, and this is my first one from pdf - are there any settings I should use for a cleaner final file?

The book is this month's free book from University of Chicago: Collections of Nothing. I'm trying to convert it so my parents (who are even less technical than I am) can read it on their kindle.
Converting PDF is a crap shoot and probably guaranteed to NOT be the most efficient coding
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
They're pert near the same size. Now if the output balloons up to 10, 20, 30 meg I might think twice.

Quote:
PDF is often a horrible source format for conversions. You might want to review the sticky post at the top of the conversion sub-forum titled, Read this before Posting PDF Questions.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote