Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #376
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Almost 48 hours later I receive my answer back from Kobo on the eGift cards. I'm not sure but I think it's in English.

Franco-English, as most of their support answers are.

You'd think they could hire one native English speaker, to handle support for the REST of Canada, if not the US customers.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #377
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Why would she pull it? There are tons of book out there with this subject matter. Is there a place where she explains why she left some criticism get to her?
Just to clarify my stand, I'm not against the book per se, it's that I felt completely blindsided by the very graphic subject, it totally was not what I was expecting in the story. I'm not a prude, but this went way beyond FSOG for me, I would NOT have bought had I realized the extent it takes BDSM, and I'm guessing that's the reason for the pull... Anyways...can't say much more about it without giving away a big turn in the book, and that's the part I was uncomfortable with.

From her website:
Spoiler:
Over the last 2 1/2 years, I've learned that it's nearly impossible to explain to others what it's like to be a writer, so I expect what I'm about to attempt to be even more difficult.

People write for different reasons and, from the very beginning, I've told y'all that I write for you, that it's more than just a paycheck. Well, I'm about to prove that what I've said is true.

When I wrote Until I Break, I could've watered down the story, made it more palatable, easier to accept. But as an artist, I didn't want to cheat Sam and Alec out of their story. As I've said before, life isn't always pretty, but I had hoped that the majority of people would be able to see beyond the ugly to the wonderful story of love and acceptance and healing that was embedded in Until I Break. Sadly, that hasn't turned out to be the case.

So, rather than risking people misunderstanding Sam and Alec and, therefore, me as a person and author, I'm pulling the book from publication. It will no longer be available in any format from any source after tomorrow. Yes, I could leave it out there to earn money, but every cent would be bitter, knowing that there are some who not only don't "get" the story, but who are misunderstanding it in a disheartening way.

I would like to say a big ol' THANK YOU to everyone who read, loved and understood the twisted lives and beautiful love of Sam and Alec. You gave me so much happiness with your outpouring of amazingly supportive words. I'm truly, truly grateful.

I'll always have Sam and Alec, and I learned more from them as characters and from their story than I ever thought possible. I've also learned a lot about people and friends and authors, and the world as a whole during this particular journey.

So what now? Well, I am moving on to my next project. And I hope to bring you better and better and better stories with each one I write and publish. Maybe one day (I sincerely HOPE) the world will be ready for Sam and Alec. Until then, I've got more fabulous characters and compelling stories to tell you. I hope you'll hang around and listen

With much love,

Michelle

p.s. For those who have bought a copy, no need to worry that it will disappear. It will remain on your reading device as is

p.s.s. I'd also like to mention that I could change parts of the story to make it more palatable to a larger group of people, but I won't. I'd rather pull it and be true to Alec and Sam than betray them by softening their story. I know that many of you understand and that means more to me than you'll ever know.

p.s.s.s. As the day wears on and I get feedback on my decision, I'd just like to remind you all how very hard this decision was for me. If you look at this from my perspective, from a financial as well as an artistic one, maybe, just maybe you might see that pulling the book and facing the backlash takes courage, too.

Last edited by Blue2u; 05-18-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: struggling for clarity and sensitivity
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #378
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Why would she pull it? There are tons of book out there with this subject matter. Is there a place where she explains why she left some criticism get to her?
Sounds like she was getting person letters on it.

Not that I'd be much interested in a book where the "hero" kills his girlfriend during sex, then proceeds to choke other women later in the book.

ETA: And some think the entire thing is a publicity stunt, to drive sales. If she wanted to just pull it, she could have (and discussed later).
Old 05-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #379
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Just to clarify my stand, I'm not against the book per se, it's that I felt completely blindsided by the very graphic subject, it totally was not what I was expecting in the story. I'm not a prude, but this went way beyond FSOG for me, I would NOT have bought had I realized the extent it takes BDSM, and I'm guessing that's the reason for the pull... Anyways...can't say much more about it without giving away a big turn in the book, and that's the part I was uncomfortable with.

From her website:
Here's the link so you can read the comments.

All I got say is she needs to suck it up. If she has a problem with people who are negative about her writing she will never make it in this business.

By pulling her book she is putting a nail in the coffin of what could be a successful career. I see this as a temper-tantrum "You don't like me so I'm taking my toys and going home." kind of attitude. This doesn't sit well me and I don't think I will even bother reading any of her other books.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #380
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Sounds like she was getting person letters on it.

Not that I'd be much interested in a book where the "hero" kills his girlfriend during sex, then proceeds to choke other women later in the book.

ETA: And some think the entire thing is a publicity stunt, to drive sales. If she wanted to just pull it, she could have (and discussed later).
Yeah I think so too. Which is why she is now on my Authors behave badly list. There are very few times I put a author on banned. This isn't about opinions or flame wars this is just childish behavior.

I wouldn't read the book either. I was sorta interested in her bad boys series though.
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #381
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I absolutely think that! I haven't ever read anything by her (though I do own one of her books) so don't know what her work is like, but she sure got a LOT of people to 1-click today! Pessimistic maybe, but from her list of works on goodreads she has to have had bad feedback before.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #382
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wouldn't read the book either. I was sorta interested in her bad boys series though.
Well since koland gave away the premise of the book, I did not have ANY idea that would be in the book, much less the whole BDSM thing. That plot twist made me very very uncomfortable and that was where my displeasure lies, that it was sold as Contemporary Romance with NO mention of violent themes, especially of a sexual/violent nature. Like I said, I bought it because I DID like her 'Bad Boys' series, and was expecting something along those lines, maybe steamier with the way the hype/secrecy was around the book.

Anyways I chalk it up to a lesson learned for me, I bought it at Kobo and can't return it, if I'd bought it at Amazon I would have returned it the second I got to that part of the book, for the same reasons I mentioned above.

I was just trying to let people know who wanted it what the deal was without spoiling the plot. But there we have it.

This whole thing has made me feel very uncomfortable and I hope nobody's offended that I brought it up. I was trying to be considerate of all people's tastes here and not offend one side or the other. And I'm going to try to stop babbling now and go read.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #383
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well since koland gave away the premise of the book, I did not have ANY idea that would be in the book, much less the whole BDSM thing. That plot twist made me very very uncomfortable and that was where my displeasure lies, that it was sold as Contemporary Romance with NO mention of violent themes, especially of a sexual/violent nature. Like I said, I bought it because I DID like her 'Bad Boys' series, and was expecting something along those lines, maybe steamier with the way the hype/secrecy was around the book.

Anyways I chalk it up to a lesson learned for me, I bought it at Kobo and can't return it, if I'd bought it at Amazon I would have returned it the second I got to that part of the book, for the same reasons I mentioned above.

I was just trying to let people know who wanted it what the deal was without spoiling the plot. But there we have it.

This whole thing has made me feel very uncomfortable and I hope nobody's offended that I brought it up. I was trying to be considerate of all people's tastes here and not offend one side or the other. And I'm going to try to stop babbling now and go read.
Thanks for letting us know. I don't want to support authors who pull this kind of junk. I have no problem with BDSM that is safe. That is the problem with 50 Shades it doesn't show a healthy BDSM relationship. It sounds like this book may has some similar issues. So much misinformation out there these days.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #384
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Reading more about it at Amazon....Oh geez this book was just published a few days ago. This is defiantly a publicity stunt unless she really is that sensitive. If that is the case she can pretty much kiss her career goodbye. We all know what happens to authors that can't take a negative review.

I've gone through all 1 and 2 star reviews at GR and Amazon unless I missed one. I don't see anything that would make the author pull the book. So my opinion of this is a publicity stunt stands.

Last edited by Blossom; 05-18-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #385
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
Whoo, I recieved 2 more gift certificates to B&N and a gift audible book for my birthday. Plus, a free Connie Mason ebook, thanks Blue2u. She is one of my fav's as well. Yea Haw!!
Happy Birthday! Have fun spending all your Gift Cards.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #386
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
Whoo, I recieved 2 more gift certificates to B&N and a gift audible book for my birthday. Plus, a free Connie Mason ebook, thanks Blue2u. She is one of my fav's as well. Yea Haw!!
I totally read over that it's your Birthday!

Happy Birthday!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #387
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Thank you to all. I had a wonderful birthday. Got to play with my new nook accessory, a bluetooth speaker system. It works wonderfully. I have pre orderd the new Nalini Singh audio book. I love those Psy-Changling books. I even noticed that this book is longer than the rest so that gives me a good long listen. I will be spending the day figuring out what books to get. I set aside 20 to get my time-travel books I found earlier this month. So I will have plenty of books to read this summer by the pool.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #388
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Not sure if I should post this or not, but I'm doing so just in case someone was wanting to read this book. Apparently it's getting pulled tomorrow. Until I Break by M. Leighton

Anyways, just wanted to post in case anybody was interested in buying it before it's pulled.
I just checked the book, and it's currently at number five in the Kindle paid store!

So even if it wasn't meant as a publicity stunt, it sure worked out that way.

I remember a print erotic romance author (before erotic romance really blossomed) who had major issue writing her second book because she got so many obnoxious letters on her first book. (It was published in mass market, with no indication that it was an erotic historical, so that might explain the responses.) Her second book was delayed for many months, and the reviews were lukewarm, perhaps because people had waited for so long that their expectations had been raised really high. So some authors do have problems about negative responses like that.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #389
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I have some 35% off codes from the current Kobo contest that I won't be using. I'd like to give my fellow romance hoarders first crack at them before posting on the Kobo thread. If you want any, send me a PM and your wish will be grant.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #390
Blue2u
Wizard

Freebie, Off Limits by Sawyer Bennett
Closed Thread