Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
[Solved] Any way to display custom graphics on the Kobo Wifi?

I've been trying lately to display custom images on my Kobo Wifi. I've had no luck
finding any documentation for the Wifi's imx357 and e-ink on freescale's website,
and pygame fails to recognize the framebuffer. So I tried converting an image to the
rgb565 format with ffmpeg:
Code:
ffmpeg -vcodec png -i image.png -vcodec rawvideo -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 image.raw
and displaying it with the program "pickel" found on the Wifi, but the image it displays
is distorted, as seen here (original image is shown in top-left corner):

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't stand having my Wifi hacked and yet not being
able to draw to the screen! Plus I need something to do until I can get my hands on a
Glo or a Paperwhite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wifi.png
Views:	2193
Size:	601.9 KB
ID:	93392  

Last edited by KevinShort; 10-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Solved!

I was wandering through the the files on my Wifi when I, on chance,
found the file "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate". I saw that I contained
a single "0", so I tried
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
to see if anything happened. Nothing did. But, for some reason,
pygame could suddenly see and draw to the framebuffer!

I still have to rely on 'pickel' to update the screen:
Code:
dd if=/dev/fb0 of=screen && cat screen | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
Pygame on my Wifi doesn't support png alpha, but colorkey alpha works.
Text rendering works as well, but both the text color and text background
color must be specified, otherwise it will come out as a solid rectangle.

Pygame on my Wifi with image and text:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboPygame.png
Views:	1972
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	94069  
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacking, kobo wifi, pickel