Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
amz310783
amz310783 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Series Information

When I save my files to disk and add them back into calibre the series information is missing. I am trying to clean up all my files and save them all as mobi files. I would ideally like to have just one file with the cover and metadata in it, but if 3 separate files are needed then thats the way I will go.
So I have been cleaning up the files in calibre (adding series info, correcting authors and titles etc) then saving them to disk so I can add them back in all cleaned up. Is there a way to do this and still keep series info?

I hope someone can make sense of what I mean.
amz310783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't think that mobi can not save series information in the book. Someone else might correct me, but that explains your symptoms.

If you are saving a format that cannot hold series information, then you must save the opf file along with the book. Calibre will use that file to get the latest series information. Same thing with cover -- if for some reason calibre cannot save the cover in the format in a way that it can later identify as the cover, then the only choice is to save the cover separately.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
amz310783

Thanks for your reply, I did also try and save the cover and metadata separately but the information was still missing when I added it back in?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You must use the add books option "one book per directory" to tell calibre that the OPF is attached to the book. As a consequence you must use a save-to-disk template that saves the books one per directory, but it is likely that you are already doing that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@amz - the other question that should be asked is why are you "adding them back in"?

If you have already cleaned up the metadata in Calibre before saving to disk, what do you think adding them back in will achieve?

If you are just trying to create a clean library, use the Copy to Library function to move the book from your "in progress" library to your "clean" one.

Or is there some other cunning reason I am missing...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
amz310783

Many thanks for all the replies. Got that to work now.

I was adding them back in as I was under the impression that calibre doesn't actually change the file, in order to do that you need to save to disk? So does saving to a new library just copy the old file or create a new one, cause if it creates a new one I wont need to save to disk?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@amz - you are correct in your impression. Though I would suggest one of the reasons that Calibre does not update metadata within the book files in its library is that it doesn't matter what it is like in there for most users. You are a Kindle owner I see with mobi formats - when you send the book to your Kindle the metadata will get updated at that point. So it should not matter whether you try to update the book metadata before then?

If you are happy with what you are doing then carry on, don't mind me. If you have an awful lot of books you might want to trim out some of the steps that aren't strictly necessary
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by amz310783 View Post
does saving to a new library just copy the old file or create a new one, cause if it creates a new one I wont need to save to disk?
AFAICT, Copy to Library does not update metadata. I agree with kiwidude that most users do not need to "fix" the library copy as it gets fixed during most export operations (Disk/Device). I don't believe it gets updated during transfers from the Content Server, however.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I don't believe it gets updated during transfers from the Content Server, however.
It does for EPUB, dont remember if it also does for any other formats.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It does for EPUB, dont remember if it also does for any other formats.
Excellent.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote