Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Why I am keeping PRS 900 over others

I've had PRS 900 for over a week now and went though a dilemma if I should keep it or not. The main reason why I wanted to return PRS 900 is the screen glare under certain conditions.

I've been testing it out and reading what other people had to say for a week. Today I went to Barnes & Noble and played with Nook.

Yes, Nook has a sharper and a better screen with little glare. However, it felt slower than PRS 900 Extra Large font size on Nook was comparable to medium font size on Sony PRS 900.

However, I have asked myself one key question - why do I need an eReader? My answer is to read mostly non-fiction and to learn from it by taking notes. Thus highlighting and taking notes is one of the most important feature doe me. PRS 900 does this very well while Nook takes quiet a bit of time to highlight something. The joystick navigation is ok, but will take too much time for my need.

Next, I picked up Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light from Barnes & Noble for $16. Now I can read just fine in low light conditions like at night at home. Highly recommended.

During the day, there is enough sun light to read and enjoy paper like look on PRS 900. Also, the glare effect is actually a positive thing because it will make me be in the sun more and outdoor which is something that I forget to do nowadays (a lot of people do not get enough day light nowadays).

Overall, I'll stay with PRS 900 and enjoy my exploration of various literature.

P.S. One thing that I've noticed about many people is that those who have been exposed to iphone or an ipod and see an eReader for the first time, naturally try to perform a swipe gesture only to be surprised that it is not how eInk works.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Actually, you can do a swipe gesture with the 600 and 900 to turn pages. The default is backwards from the iPhone, that is, you swipe from left to right. Quite honestly I think Sony was stupid for making it backwards, but you can reverse the swipe direction in the Settings menus.

I had a 900 for about 10 days before I returned it. It was impressive except for the screen, but at $400 way too expensive. I decided to go another route and got an Asus T91MT netbook tablet. For less than another $100 I got a touch screen device with a real OS, Windows 7 Home Premium, that is completely open and runs every eBook reader I will ever need. Plus it does an excellent job of reading PDFs. It isn't for everyone, but it is the best solution for my needs. I still have the 300 for portable reading, but even it needs an addon light in darker environments. I considered waiting for the iMaxiPad to be released, but I prefer open devices with real OSes to toys made by Apple.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Actually, you can do a swipe gesture with the 600 and 900 to turn pages. The default is backwards from the iPhone, that is, you swipe from left to right. Quite honestly I think Sony was stupid for making it backwards, but you can reverse the swipe direction in the Settings menus.
I'm not sure why you consider it to be backwards - you are swiping to move forward through the book; to the right, just as you press the button with a right arrow on it to move forward a page. Would you want a "page forward" button to have a left arrow on it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure why you consider it to be backwards - you are swiping to move forward through the book; to the right, just as you press the button with a right arrow on it to move forward a page. Would you want a "page forward" button to have a left arrow on it?
It is all relative, if you see it as an arrow, it is "forward", but if you see it as a page turn, it is "backward".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
OK, I see what you mean, yes; I hadn't considered it in that context . As you say, I consider the "left to right swipe" to be "move in the direction of a right arrow".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
Next, I picked up Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light from Barnes & Noble for $16. Now I can read just fine in low light conditions like at night at home. Highly recommended.
Great! The light makes a big difference.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
I considered waiting for the iMaxiPad to be released, but I prefer open devices with real OSes to toys made by Apple.
Funny, this thread had nothing to do with Apple or Apple products..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Great! The light makes a big difference.
I agree. The light does make a big difference. I purchased the 900 yesterday. I wanted to return the 900 after seeing the screen. However, I purchased the light today from barnes and noble and I am in love again. After two months of research I think I made the right choice.
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
I agree. The light does make a big difference. I purchased the 900 yesterday. I wanted to return the 900 after seeing the screen. However, I purchased the light today from barnes and noble and I am in love again. After two months of research I think I made the right choice.
Welcome to the fold!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
perversity
Enthusiast
perversity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
I considered waiting for the iMaxiPad to be released, but I prefer open devices with real OSes to toys made by Apple.
I have a PRS600 and in no way is that an open device with a real OS.
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by perversity View Post
I have a PRS600 and in no way is that an open device with a real OS.
I believe he's referring to his Asus T91MT Tablet (netbook tablet) he recently purchased in lieu of the iPad.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

but perversity brings up a good point. sony's ereaders are not open systems although they do run linux. for all that people cry they want an open system, truth is, ebook readers (sony, kindle, nook) are not open. yes, they can be hacked and cracked but you're taking your chances. and if someone wants truly open, they won't buy any books with any sort of DRM. and if you're running windows 7 on that t91mt it's chock full of DRM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-900