Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Reader won't shutdown anymore

My rooted T1 won't shut down anymore. The orange light just keeps blinking, but nothing happens. I have to turn it off using the reset button. I already tried rescue set 1.04..., SD Card Rescue (twice), and factory reset. Nothing helped. Weird thing is, the Reader still says it's on firmware 1.04... (Settings - About - Device). Shouldn't it display 1.00/1.01 after SD Card Rescue? I'm wondering if I did it right. I just extracted the zip file's contents which is a folder named "OS Firmware". My SD Card now has that Folder "OS Firmware" in its root directory. I have several other directories there as well, filled with stuff like music etc. Could other folders interfere with the rescue process? However, now the reader seems not to be rooted anymore and all settings are lost. Still, it won't turn off. What to do now?
I have the feeling that those common rescue methods do not fully erase and overwrite the android partition...
Edit: I forgot to mention that I had to reset the Reader after 20 minutes of SD Card Rescue. The loading bar was white. Do you think it is necessary to wait longer (how long)? But I think it was just the shutdown issue here as well...

Last edited by bookp; 05-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
if the bar gets full and then turns white, sd rescue has finished.

how did you invoke sd rescue - did you follow the exact steps at http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D21458

regarding shutdown - there are several threads on this topic - try the search function!

Last edited by uboot; 05-11-2012 at 03:13 PM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

I followed the steps except I don't remember if the charger was connected each time. Do you think that matters? I also found out that pressing Home + Menu might not be necessary. Whether I pressed them or not, the Reader empties its black bar after a while and then hangs. You can see the SD Slot's light flashing all the time, even after the bar has become white.
Do you think it is normal that after a successfull SC Card Rescue operation the Reader says he is still on Firmware 1.0.04.12210? Because Porkupan's zip file is rather old, and the new firmwares didn't exist at that time: 2011-Oct-29.
In the meanwhile I did many searches and found a (single) user who got the shutdown problem solved by itself after some battery charges. Sounds weird, but I'll try that and maybe in some days will see the results.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

The reader definitely shouldn't be on 1.04 after sd rescue because it completely wipes the data and the system partition on the device, if it succeeds.

But it may be that the firmware version number is stored in the kernel or initial ramdisk, which is not touched by sd rescue...

So maybe shutdown issues are related to an incompatible combination of kernel and system partition (kernel was updated with 1.04 firmware).

I suggest to do the following:

0.) Be sure that the reader is connected to charger all the time
1.) Format the reader partition (= internal sdcard, the place where the reader stores ebooks, can be done from sony settings menu).
2.) Do sd rescue
3.) Apply Sony 1.04 firmware update
4.) Look if shutdown works now
5.) re-root with rupors minimal root package (see link in wiki)
6.) Look if shutdown works now

It also may be possible that the 1.04 kernel on the reader is not compatible with the sd rescue image. So, you could try to enter recovery console while sd recovery is running and then check kernel messages, syslog, etc.

The issue with the battery has to do with a file that stores battery capacity to allow for an accurate battery gauge. In the wiki there are instructions on how to re-calibrate the battery.

Last edited by uboot; 05-12-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
bookp
Connoisseur

The problem is both Reader Desktop software and the standalone firmware .exe file check the device's firmware number, think it's up to date, and won't allow a forced update.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
uboot
Evangelist

ok, that's a problem, indeed.

I'm working on a 1.04 sd recovery image right now, which also erases data partition and internal sd card. Just give me some more time to finish it...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
bookp
Connoisseur

Sounds great. Maybe the new image should not contain a battery file to prevent calibration issues.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
uboot
Evangelist

the new image will completely wipe the data partition, such that it will be re-initialized on first boot. hence, batterystats will be reset too.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
uboot
Evangelist

here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...35#post2080235
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
bookp
Connoisseur

I tried your new rescue image, but the Reader won't read from it. Immediately after the black bar reaches 100%, it goes back to zero. Then it moves on to Sony Home Screen. I press Home and Menu before switching on the device and hold them down until the black bar finishes, but without any effect.

I also tried re-rooting with some of rupor's and porkupan's packages - they won't flash but just force a reboot.

Last edited by bookp; 05-29-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
bookp
Connoisseur

Books cannot be deleted

The problems get even worse. I found that I can't delete any books. When I format the READER partition from within windows or delete all its files, the Reader seems to restore every single deleted file on its own. Windows shows all files the next time I connect the Reader. Formatting from within the device itself has no effect. I also tried to delete all books with the Reader, and then it says "No books." in Home Menu, but when I go to Settings and back, all books are there again and they can be read. How is that possible?

Forgot to mention: There is NO SD card inserted.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
uboot
Evangelist

Unroot via non-sd restore package and then factory reset may help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172270

I will try to debug the sd recovery package, but don't have the means now as I am on a journey.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
bookp
Connoisseur

I can't root or un-root. This is the result of the un-root batch file:
Code:
 Volume in drive G is READER
 Volume Serial Number is xxxx-xxxx
Continue? <Y/N> y
.\sdcard\tmp\checksums
.\sdcard\tmp\do_update.sh
.\sdcard\tmp\mmcblk2p10.img
.\sdcard\tmp\mmcblk2p9.img
.\sdcard\tmp\rescue.updater
5 File(s) copied
.\PRS-T1 Updater.package
1 File(s) copied
Sony Reader MSC utility 1.06 (c) 2009 Igor Skochinsky, Vladimir Boroda
avail: 0
openDrive [\\.\G:]: 1
usbInitCheck: 0
Press any key to continue . . .
Then the Reader reboots and everything is the same as before.
I think the partitions are read-only or something like that. Yesterday I formatted the READER partition and filled it with MP3 files. I could see and play them from Windows Explorer. When I unplugged and reconnected the Reader, all MP3 files were gone, and a deep scan with Recuva, an undelete tool, didn't find any traces of those files. Kinda spooky.