Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Help For A Newbie?

I have never owned any Apple products but today I won a free iPad (16GB WiFi). When I turn on the device, it does nothing other than display an "iTunes" icon on the screen. I don't actually have iTunes and won't install it on my computer. Someone said it has to be "activated" but I don't even know what that means. The device won't be used on the Internet and won't connect to any computer, it will just be stand alone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Update: never mind, the Apple store said they can activate it with no personal info of any kind, and no iTunes required.

Last edited by CyGuy; 12-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
what do you plan on doing with it without Itunes?
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Yeah you won't be able to load any videos/music. And the ipad is really weak without apps such as ibooks, goodreader, pulse news, etc. You won't be able to update it either.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
what do you plan on doing with it without Itunes?
Just copy/paste eBooks/movies directly to the device via USB. I made the mistake of installing itunes on a computer one time, it was a nightmare to get it completely uninstalled.

I find it very very odd that you can't purchase an iPad and just turn it on and use it. When I press the power button, it does nothing other than display an iTunes icon. Wow. But hey, it was free...
Old 12-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
The Ipad doesn't have a USB
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Cyguy, it's worth the trouble to sort out whatever problem you had with iTunes to enjoy the full dynamics of the iPad.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Just copy/paste eBooks/movies directly to the device via USB. I made the mistake of installing itunes on a computer one time, it was a nightmare to get it completely uninstalled.
Unfortunately Apple won't let you do that. The only directory on your iPad which is visible to your operating system is "DCIM" (eg. where images downloaded through Safari or the camera connection kit are stored). There are a few workarounds to get some file types onto the device wirelessly... for instance you can link Stanza to a Calibre file server... but ultimately it is dependent on iTunes for a number of things.

Last edited by Dylrob; 12-17-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Why not sell the iPad and get something that would better meet your needs?

Once, I unexpectedly received tickets to a political event I didn't support. I sold 'em and donated the money to a cause I did support, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Why not sell the iPad and get something that would better meet your needs?
I spent many hours last night researching what steps I need to take to get the iPad usable for me. I finally decided it is just not worth it and I am selling the device to a co-worker. I should have done that before even creating this thread, but I appreciate the assistance.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Tanker
Tanker began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I spent many hours last night researching what steps I need to take to get the iPad usable for me. I finally decided it is just not worth it and I am selling the device to a co-worker. I should have done that before even creating this thread, but I appreciate the assistance.
Everything is a learning experience. Congrats on winning the iPad, sorry it wasn't the device for you. Hopefully with the cash you get from your coworker you can the device that is just right for you.

My wife loves her Kindle, she wouldn't trade it for anything. But ask around, maybe go to a Best Buy or whatever and get hands on and get a better idea of what suits your needs.
Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
itunes is ipad's achilles' heal

the dependence of ipad on itunes is absurd and ridiculous,but one has to put up with it to use the otherwise great gadget the ipad is. Obviously, Apple did that to increase the traffic in their itunes store.
I doubt that it happened!
Valentin Bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

buy an Adam
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by valb2953 View Post
the dependence of ipad on itunes is absurd and ridiculous,but one has to put up with it to use the otherwise great gadget the ipad is. Obviously, Apple did that to increase the traffic in their itunes store.
I doubt that it happened!
Valentin Bazavan
The iPad already has built in access to the iTunes store. So I don't think that is the reason.

I think part of the reason they did it this way was to make the device "idiot proof". Since by default iTunes automatically backs up your iPad when you plug it in. And it automatically converts some file formats.

Last edited by Dylrob; 01-19-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
When the first Mac was introduced there were very few people who used computers. Mainly tech heads and they spent a lot of time learning those skills. Then Apple had the audacity to introduce a computer "for the rest of us". They introduced a computer in 1984 that was sold like an electric toaster. You could take it out of the box and use it straight away.
Well.... for "tech heads" who spent forever training/learning DOS etc. it was a threat. Now anyone could use a computer so what did they do? They derided it. Mac vs PC crap has been going ever since. I remember people telling me that REAL computers didn't need a mouse.
I had been using a CPM machine (earlier than DOS)to run servomotors until then. But my eye for truly innovative stuff was not lost when my sister who had brought me home IBM punch cards to use as scap paper as a child called me one day and said. "Mark. You have to come and see what I have." it was the first Mac.
Love what you love and use what you like mate. A computer is a tool. Some people need hammers others need screwdrivers.
I'm on the front verandah watching the dog have a scratch listening the water falling in the pond with an iPad on my lap doing what is fun on an iPad. It's my tool for right now. When I need to do more than that I use a different tool. Sometime it's a Mac sometimes it's a PC. But I'm surprised at how many times I can do it right here on the iPad.

Having a ball. Mark
Happy reading/surfing.

Last edited by wannabee; 01-19-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Because I can
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote