Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
soloist66
Enthusiast
soloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle PW11, iPad Air
Question CSS Font-Weight Property Values???

Hi. I have already been using Calibre to modify the fonts on non-DRM'd eBooks that I read on my Sony PRS-650 for quite some time. Now, I would like to do a bit more tweaking to make the fonts appear darker.

My first question is: what are the allowable CSS font-weight property values? I know of "normal" and "bold" but what are the other valid values?

My second question is: In Googling the web, I've seen numerical font-weight valid values being listed but I am not able to get these to work for some reason (e.g., "400", "600", "700", "800", "900"). Is there something I need to specify when using numeric weights instead?

Last edited by soloist66; 06-16-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Wanted to add an icon.
soloist66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only weight values that work are normal and bold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
One thing that I've done to increase the contrast so I can keep reading much later outside than I would normally (without needing added light that is), is when I add extra fonts to my Sonys, I only use the bold versions. I make copy of the bold and bold italics, rename them to regular and italic, and you've got darker text everywhere.

What I read seldom has bold highlights, 99% of the time it's italics. And if there is bold text, it's usually in chapter titles or other headers where the font size is a bit larger as well. So I don't miss seeing a difference between regular and bold at all for myself.

Sucky eyesight makes you use lots of tricks.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only weight values that work are normal and bold.
That seems odd, Numeric values are acceptable: 400 not '400'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
soloist66
Enthusiast
soloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Many thanks for the speedy response, JSWolf. "Bold" gets the job done -- just wanted to see if I had any other options!

And yes, Ripplinger, I too am afflicted with "sucky eyesight"!
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
With ADE, you just use normal or bold. You don't use numbers. If the numbers work, you'd get bold and only one level of bold.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist66 View Post
Many thanks for the speedy response, JSWolf. "Bold" gets the job done -- just wanted to see if I had any other options!

And yes, Ripplinger, I too am afflicted with "sucky eyesight"!
Give my modified Charis SIL a try. you may like it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-27-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
soloist66
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hmmm. I only included the quotes for the post. When I tried using the numeric weight values in Calibre to define Extra CSS, I did not use quotes, e.g.,
@font-face {
font-family: "LexiaDaMa";
font-weight: 600;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa.otf);
}
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist66 View Post
Hmmm. I only included the quotes for the post. When I tried using the numeric weight values in Calibre to define Extra CSS, I did not use quotes, e.g.,
@font-face {
font-family: "LexiaDaMa";
font-weight: 600;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa.otf);
}
AH!
font-weight in the @font

I think this needs to match the actual usage font-weight: in the selector (the reason there can be 4 @fonts. 1 for each combination of Style and Weight)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css font-weight