Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Kobo Software Update 2.5.2

Software 2.5.2 has been released this afternoon.

No Release Notes.

The update seems to have fixed up the ghosting issue with PDF files when moving the page around.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I haven't seen it yet (I am at work and did not bring my reader) but my understanding is that this release is supposed to be mostly about bug fixes with minimal feature changes.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I haven't seen it yet (I am at work and did not bring my reader) but my understanding is that this release is supposed to be mostly about bug fixes with minimal feature changes.
I got the update through the wi-fi connection.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
I just updated, also using wi-fi. But I don't think the PDF ghosting issue is fixed. I still have to open and close the menu for it to refresh.
(Note: I do have my refresh pages on 6, as that is what I like it for epubs...but on 2.4 it didn't have ghosting issues even with refresh set to 6)
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Folks, remember to report new and resolved bugs in the Bugs thread

@RZetlin: can you confirm me pdf ghosting bug is gone?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
After the update I now have the stupid title always shown on top in .epubs as well.

-> factory reset and back to 2.5.1.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
After the update I now have the stupid title always shown on top in .epubs as well.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I am going to keep well away from this update!
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

Trust me when I say we told them not to do this in the beta to no avail.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I am going to keep well away from this update!
Yeah this is just plain stupid, two more lines of the screen wasted, I will also be skipping this update.

The old way is better, if for some reason I can't remember what book I am reading (unlikely) I can just tap on the center of the screen and it will show me the title, I don't need it on the screen all the time!
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand not liking or wanting something like this. I don't understand making this so important that you would forgo bug fixes and new features you might enjoy. Tell me more, if you can about how that works?

And Peter is right. The beta group (not that we were used much for this) was very clear that no one wanted this.

Last edited by taming; 05-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:

Luckily the update didn't come through for me. And I won't download it if the title is always on epubs either, thanks for the heads up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I understand not liking or wanting something like this. I don't understand making this so important that you would forgo bug fixes and new features you might enjoy. Tell me more, if you can about how that works?
It's simple... it takes away from my reading enjoyment when I see that title on every page. It's annoying and irritating. I don't read to be annoyed and irritated.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I can't think of any new features that Kobo have added in firmware updates that I actually would want or enjoy. A lot of it just seem to me to be peripheral fluff. The most important thing to me is the reading display; there have been a lot of complaints recently about the bottom menu taking up too much space in the reading display. I was beginning to hope that Kobo would take notice and release a firmware update to make the bottom menu optional or smaller when reading. It is a bit of a shocker to realise that they have done the exact opposite.

Seriously, something like this could be enough to make me switch brands. This update could be Kobo's Windows 8 (and we know how well that is going, don't we, Mr Ballmer?).

Last edited by ShellShock; 05-09-2013 at 05:37 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm really not trying to be a provocateur, I think the developers need to "get" this. I am fine with the title at the top, but I certainly understand not liking it.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now the Aura is looking less likely given that the current firmware just lost 2 more lines of text from the screen. That's the menu at the bottom and the title at the top. At this rate, they'll need an 8" screen to show as much as my 650 on a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I would like someone to count the lines, with and without the title, on the same book and the same page, with the same settings. Before this update, I always had a top margin, I'm not sure that if it got any bigger, or not. I read kepub.epubs exclusively now that I am using the extended driver.