Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Public Domain & IPad readers

I just got an ipad and despite some earlier skepticism I have to say I am no long among the ranks of the skeptics. In fact I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

One thing, I have not figured out how to do, (or determine if possible); is how to take advantage of sites like Mobileread or Manybooks in order to access public domain literature. Can e-pubs, mobi, etc., in other words formats you would typically find on these sites be loaded into any of the reader apps and how?

I will very much appreciate any help offered
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Download in ePub, and just drag and drop the book to the "Books" page of the iPad in iTunes. It will show up on your "iBooks" bookshelf.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Apple's iBook app reads epub so if you have non-drm epub file, just drag it into iTunes library and it will sync to iBooks.

There is a free app called "Free Books" which has access to thousands of books. Nothing fancy but lots of easy access.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks Harry and tyche. Now the IPad is no longer simply great, it's perfect!
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
And if you have the ebook in another format you can use Calibre to convert it.
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
There is an app called Free books for $1.99 It is a down loader for PD books. Once you select the book it is downloaded for off line reading. The only down side to the app is if you download a lot of books they are all on a cover flow at the bottom of the front end screen.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
There is an app called Free books for $1.99 It is a down loader for PD books. Once you select the book it is downloaded for off line reading. The only down side to the app is if you download a lot of books they are all on a cover flow at the bottom of the front end screen.
Stanza has access to lots of pd books via direct download.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Last time I checked, Free Books was free. If you go to their website it lists $1.99, but it's on the free list and I installed it no charge.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, unless it's changed, Free Book is free on the iPad.

Nice selection, interface isn't great, but it works for sure. The vertical page turns when you tap the side of the screen was an odd design choice....
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Unfortunately, it appears that there will be no iPad version of Stanza. Too bad, it's a nice reader.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Unfortunately, it appears that there will be no iPad version of Stanza. Too bad, it's a nice reader.
I jailbroke the iPad and had Stanza running full screen in about 15min. Works wonderfully. I do prefer iBooks or even the kindle ipad app for reading...but Stanza still works well, and has all the superior ways of getting books it always has.

1. Over wifi via Calibre
2. Direct connection to Baen Free Library, Manybooks, Feedbooks, Fictionwise, others!

At least I'll be able to read my Fictionwise collection on my iPad now. I couldn't quite get the hang of removing the drm in order to read via iBooks.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I have yet to see an iPod Touched sized reading app scaled for the iPad actually look good. They all have rather fuzzy looking fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have yet to see an iPod Touched sized reading app scaled for the iPad actually look good. They all have rather fuzzy looking fonts.
Stanza doesn't! Not once it's fixed... Take a look at the screens in here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84993
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I'm not quite as technically proficient as many of the others offering advice but I just wanted to be sure that you knew that Amazon, iBooks, and Barnes and Noble all offer quite a bit of free content. I initially loaded Free Books and a number of the titles available but then found it on the other sites. I also read a WSJ article that mentioned AmazonEncore. Much of that is new material offered at lower prices.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
One thing, I have not figured out how to do, (or determine if possible); is how to take advantage of sites like Mobileread or Manybooks in order to access public domain literature. Can e-pubs, mobi, etc., in other words formats you would typically find on these sites be loaded into any of the reader apps and how?
If you are looking for a way to download directly to the iPad, without going via a PC first, then GoodReader can download html ebooks (eg from Gutenberg) or pdf ebooks. I haven't found an app yet that can download ePub ebooks.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote