Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #46
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Do you think that publishers fix a different price in different shops? When you see physical shops with 20% discount the first day they sell a book ?
No, the retailer does that.

A huge retailer ordering many copies may get a better wholesale price from the publisher than a smaller one. This has been a problem for independent booksellers for years: they can't match the pricing the big chains get. Many have gone under as a result.

But while the book will have a regular retail price printed on it, the retailer can choose to charge less than the sticker price. Sometimes much less, in deals known in retailing as "loss leaders". The idea is to get traffic into the store, where they will (hopefully) buy other things besides the highly discounted item.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
No, the retailer does that.

A huge retailer ordering many copies may get a better wholesale price from the publisher than a smaller one. This has been a problem for independent booksellers for years: they can't match the pricing the big chains get. Many have gone under as a result.

But while the book will have a regular retail price printed on it, the retailer can choose to charge less than the sticker price. Sometimes much less, in deals known in retailing as "loss leaders". The idea is to get traffic into the store, where they will (hopefully) buy other things besides the highly discounted item.
______
Dennis
Exactly, and don't forget, Amazon and B&N are retailers too. So, the same way you examine shops looking for better prices in pb, you do in ebook.

This is a point. Another one, and I agree, is the high price of the ebooks and the publishers afraid of ebooks (many of them, at leas).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #48
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
One thing to keep in mind is that, until there is a standard that everyone is using The publisher has to create the ebook in multiple formats or risk a crappy conversion. Publishing an ebook in multiple formats could be costly (not sure it is, I can just see where it could be). As long as each format is it's own niche market then more has to be charged in order to recoup this cost. This is not really any different than any other market in this respect. Amazon may be selling enough ebooks in their proprietary format to allow publishers to charge them less. If epub takes off like it appears it will (primarily due to B&N and Sony adopting it) Then there may be enough of a market to reduce or eliminate the extra that has to be charged to publish in this format (We can only hope).
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #49
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Abouth both conversions... are there so many differences in a normal novel? I mean. I format ALL my books in ePub, prc and LIT. The only problem I can find some times is the toc, the other things: calibre convert directly. So sorry, or they make A LOT OF work by hand or I can't understand the different formats issue, sorry.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #50
stallone
stallone began at the beginning.

Device: none
An update on pricing since this thread has been dead for a couple weeks.

Per Gizmodo's review (link) of the nook, Barnes & Noble appears to be dropping ebook prices to match or at least compete with Amazon now that the nook's release is imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodo
Speaking of Kindle downloads, some noise has been made about Kindle books being cheaper than B&N ebooks, but Barnes & Noble says that they are in the process of correcting their prices, basically evening them all out so that they're no higher than Amazon's. In my own experience, I found David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest for $10 and George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones for just $7. I was pretty pleased, though I was a tad annoyed that sales tax wasn't included in the base price. Be warned there.
stallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #51
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
in all fairness, the displayed purchase price at Amazon doesn't include sales tax either
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #52
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Does Amazon charge sales tax, though? I was under the impression that they generally don't need to, since they don't have a physical presence in most states.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #53
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
in all fairness, the displayed purchase price at Amazon doesn't include sales tax either
I assume the "The Olympic Peninsula" is Washington State. Since Amazon is headquarters is in Washington you would pay taxes but most of us do not.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #54
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I don't pay sales tax on ebooks purchased from B&N, even though there are several brick and mortar stores located in the state.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #55
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
Does Amazon charge sales tax, though? I was under the impression that they generally don't need to, since they don't have a physical presence in most states.
I pay sales tax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I assume the "The Olympic Peninsula" is Washington State. Since Amazon is headquarters is in Washington you would pay taxes but most of us do not.
and now I know why
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #56
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sales / Use Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
Here in CT we are required to pay a Use Tax equal to our Sales Tax on internet purchases if not charged by the seller. We must add it on our annual income tax return.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #57
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Well, it gets stickier than that. If you 'operate' in a state with sales tax, your online sales to that residents of that state have to include tax. B&N having a store in every state pretty much guarantees that they collect sales tax for all the states that collect revenue this way. States may also require that online retailers who want to ship to a state to collect sales tax, as if they were operating in the state even if they don't have a physical location in the state.

Amazon has warehouses littered across the country, and so every state they have a warehouse in, that requires collection of sales tax, will require that Amazon collects sales tax for that state.

But yeup, you are right, nonetheless.

EDIT: And sirmaru catches the other side of the coin that I totally forgot about. Many states require residents file use tax on purchases made out of state and brought in (including online purchases). Very few people actually do it, and enforcement would be hair-pulling at best. WA state also does this, but most people don't even know you are supposed to, let alone actually do it.

Last edited by Kolenka; 12-07-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #58
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
WA state also does this, but most people don't even know you are supposed to, let alone actually do it.
New York does, too. I seem to recall that they've actually sent out tax bills when, for some reason, they became aware of unreported purchases, but I don't have a citation off the top of my head.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #59
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Ok, so why don't I pay sales tax on ebooks from B & N? From every example given, it would seem that I should....but I just checked all my back orders from them, and I don't. Maybe it's an Illinois thing?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #60
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Here in CT we are required to pay a Use Tax equal to our Sales Tax on internet purchases if not charged by the seller. We must add it on our annual income tax return.
how do you track that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Well, it gets stickier than that. If you 'operate' in a state with sales tax, your online sales to that residents of that state have to include tax. B&N having a store in every state pretty much guarantees that they collect sales tax for all the states that collect revenue this way. States may also require that online retailers who want to ship to a state to collect sales tax, as if they were operating in the state even if they don't have a physical location in the state.

Amazon has warehouses littered across the country, and so every state they have a warehouse in, that requires collection of sales tax, will require that Amazon collects sales tax for that state.

But yeup, you are right, nonetheless.

EDIT: And sirmaru catches the other side of the coin that I totally forgot about. Many states require residents file use tax on purchases made out of state and brought in (including online purchases). Very few people actually do it, and enforcement would be hair-pulling at best. WA state also does this, but most people don't even know you are supposed to, let alone actually do it.
we don't pay a yearly state tax here, I have no idea how this works/would work