Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Even more specialized than ereaders : the wikireader

Just discovered this http://thewikireader.com/index.html

(Not interesting at all, though I wonder if Wikipedia could be converted in some way in an ebook ?)
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastienbillard View Post

(Not interesting at all, though I wonder if Wikipedia could be converted in some way in an ebook ?)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31041
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Thanks Slite ! (yes it was doubtful a such amount of data could be managed that way)
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I would not buy a dedicated device just for that. Anyway, it seems like it updates via a file on a memory card, if that's so I don't see why they don't just make it a full ebook reader with a built-in wikipedia app. I do like that you don't need wireless like the Kindle does, but it seems to me like if you have a device, and you have a memory card, you may as well expand your focus a tiny little bit and wind up with something that can do other things too.

I guess they are targeting schools and people who might have bought old paper encyclopedias, but most schools have computers and kids can read Wikipedia on the internet, so I am not seeing the utility here.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I would not buy a dedicated device just for that.
It's $99... cheaper than most paper encyclopedias.

I personally would indeed buy a device like that... but not if it was tied into some stupid cell phone company's network coverage. I'd want to be able to operate off of wi-fi, and also have a reasonable size cache (with some intelligent ways of managing it [e.g.: 'save this page for offline reading']).

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes - it's limited - but I do see a use for it. I have become addicted to using the dictionary on my Kindle while reading, and accessing Wikipedia. I read a lot of older literature (classics if you will), and it's helpful while reading Dickens for example to be able to instantly look up locations, older word usage, historical figures, etc.
So, if I am reading a pbook and encounter similar terms to be looked up, a device of this sort could be very useful so that I don't have to stop reading and use a laptop, cellphone, etc. Just type in the term. Might even be faster than getting Wikipedia up & running on a Kindle.
Klunky, limited, but could be a lot of fun for older non-tech readers or youngsters you don't want banging on your laptop.
Pricey for static content though.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I would rather use Kindlepedia (http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia/). Not a dedicated device, and it doesn't give you the entire content in one go, but it's a very convenient way of getting specific articles onto a Kindle.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
I would not buy a dedicated device just for that.
I HAVE bought a device like that. Had forgotten about it's existence until just now, but I paid somewhere around $200 for one of these in the early 1990s:

http://pnylab.com/pny/products/encyclopedia/main.html

When these are hacked to be general ebook readers (around 1/83rd of a second after they hit the streets) I want one.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I am a wiki addict, and a gadget freak, however I'd rather spend $50 more for a first gen kindle, and read wiki, and everything else.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

It's been done. There is a reduced version of Wikipedia in TomeRaider 3 format, and an effort in progre3ss to convert it for Plucker, an offline HTML reader for Palm OS. (The chap behind it is on MR as "Hacker", and pops up occasionally in the forums.)

The major issue is the sheer volume of data. You can more or less get the text into a (huge) ebook file, but don't even think about the graphics...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the reason why I've not tried on my 505. The massive amount of data would make it choke. You split each article into it's own article, and it would take forever indexing. You keep them as one, and it would run out of power before it loads it.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I am a wiki addict, and a gadget freak, however I'd rather spend $50 more for a first gen kindle, and read wiki, and everything else.
What tempts me is the ability to stay in whatever you're reading and look up something instantly - like the current dictionary function on K2 & DX - without stopping, turning on Whispernet, changing screens, etc.

Almost be fun to think about Velcro-ing a slim version of a Wikereader inside a Kindle cover - on the opposite side - and have it available as you read.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard

It would be great if the dictionary function of the K2s could be used for wiki as well. I wikibinge bad enough as is....
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Just discovered this http://thewikireader.com/index.html ...
Does it have a touchscreen? With only three buttons, looking up an article could be time-consuming!

Quote:
... it seems like it updates via a file on a memory card ...
How does it update? memory card? USB? wireless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
It's $99... cheaper than most paper encyclopedias.
Not a bad price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
... some intelligent ways of managing it ...
I'd need to be able to connect it to my computer somehow in order to quote from it whenever necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I would rather use Kindlepedia (http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia/). Not a dedicated device, and it doesn't give you the entire content in one go, but it's a very convenient way of getting specific articles onto a Kindle.
Thanks for that link. It must be new -- McAfee SiteAdvisor hasn't yet rated it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Does it have a touchscreen? With only three buttons, looking up an article could be time-consuming!
Yes, on screen keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
How does it update? memory card? USB? wireless?
Download and transfer to an SD Card.