Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Hi everyone!

Hi everyone,
I'm a 30 something computer programmer and an audio book and e-book fanatic. I went through a period of about 8 yrs where I didn't do much reading at all, overcome by having computers taking over my time but in the last couple of years with a work commute I've really gotten back into reading.

I like non-fiction (Chomsky, John Ralston Saul, Naomi Klein) mainly but I try to find a decent fiction book here and there.

I used to read crazy amounts of generic horror/thrillers when I was a kid, stuff like Clive Barker, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy, Bourne trilogy etc. But now I'm not sure where to start fiction wise. I read a Dean Koontz book recently (who I used to like as a teen) and realised I must have out grown it, it seemed juvenile and pretty ordinary. So now I have to find material that suits an 'older' reader like me

I usually read on my laptop, ipod touch. I might be getting a Kindle soon!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, fugazied! Check out the "Which one should I buy" thread to see all your other options in e-book readers. (Did I really say that??)
You won't believe the difference, reading on an e-ink screen and a computer. Its like reading a paper book.......no eye strain.

We have many many books here, free for the downloading, so I"m sure you'll find something to suit you. You might also check out the thread 'reading recommendations'.

enjoy your stay! Oh, and where are you from? Inquiring minds want to know........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Welcome youngster.

Not sure what you are looking for. There's lots of stuff here. Have you ever read Sherlock Holmes novels? How about Oliver Twist or Treasure Island? There's alot of good literature out there.

Then again, contemporary stuff is pretty good. Have you read any thing by Steve King or Michael Crichton? Do you like Sci-Fi or Fantasy? Have you tried and books by David Eddings, Terry Brooks, Mercedes Lackey?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Thanks for the advice desertgrandma, I'll check that thread out

As for my reading habits, yes I read most of the classics as a kid, sherlock holmes, oliver twist, the last mohicans. Also yes I've most read Crichton, Brooks, Eddings and King. There may be some new King books I've missed out on though. I have NOT read any Lackey so I'll check that out, thx!

Any other exciting new authors in the sci-fi/thriller genres?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
...I might be getting a Kindle soon!...
Hi fugazied and welcome! I've had a Kindle now for about 4 months and I really enjoy it. Most of the books I've read on it so far are classics that I downloaded from MR. The people here really do a good job formatting the content!

One cool thing about the Kindle is the Whispernet connection to Wikipedia. Don't know if this is your style--but when I'm reading and come across something that I'd like to know more about, I love the ability to look it up right then and there! I'm reading "The Three Musketeers" right now--last night I wikipedia'd "Cardinal Richelieu". It added to my enjoyment of the book to get more historical context.

And Amazon pays for it! To a miser, uh, I mean a frugal person like me, that's a bonus! Don't know how long it will last, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it while it does!!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi fugazied and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote