Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx
Greg Waddell began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
PC and MAC databases: Are they compatinble?

Hi,
  • I am running both a PC and an iMAC.
  • Both machines have Calibre installed.
  • I have both installations pointing to the same database on Dropbox.
  • I already know that I must not access the DB from different machines at the same time.

My question: Are there any compatibility issues between how MAC maintains the database and how Windows maintains the database? OR is it essentially the same database?

Just wanting to get a heads up before diving into this.

Greg

P.S. Sorry about the mispelling in the title. Don't know how to edit the title.

Last edited by Greg Waddell; 06-06-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Greg Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
THe main problem is that on windows the maximum path length is much shorter than on os x. If you dont have any books with long title/many authors, you will never come across this issue, but if you do, you can end up with problems. The database format itself is the same on all platforms. The problems come from differing filesystems.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

Re: PC and MAC database: Are they compatible?

Well, I do have some scholarly papers with terribly long titles -- or do you mean the actual name of the file?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The name of the file is derived from the title and the authors.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Is it worth considering some sort of 'compatible file path mode' setting which causes Calibre to use the most restrictive of the path length settings across all the OS it supports? That might be a way to make accessing the same library from multiple OS less error prone?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's not a road I want to go down. There can be other incompatibilities, like case sensitivity (file systems on OS X can be case sensitive or not, depending on user settings). Once I start saying multiple OS access is supported, people are going to expect it to work without problems and that is not possible to guarantee. For instance, what if someone turns on that setting on an existing library? It will then apply for newly added/moved books but there could be older books with issues.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

No Problems So Far

I have had zero problems so far accessing the same db from my mac and from my pc. I'm a happy camper.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I was using it between Linux & Windows for a while... it was working well.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I was using it between Linux & Windows for a while... it was working well.
Take care, the filesystems are very different :

In Windows the filenames "A filename.epub" and "A Filename.epub" identical and will overwrite so one of them disappear. In Linux they are two different files and can exist side by side.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Take care, the filesystems are very different :

In Windows the filenames "A filename.epub" and "A Filename.epub" identical and will overwrite so one of them disappear. In Linux they are two different files and can exist side by side.
I'm aware of that, but had no problems with that while I was using it. That said, I don't really use Calibre much anymore as I don't maintain a library of past books since I never re-read.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

I am using Calibre as my general file management system. I don't just have books there but all kinds of documents. I have found this the best way to archive and find files.

Tags
compatibility, mac, shared database