Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #196
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
dd actually is the best tool ever to clone drives, it works bit perfect. But expanding the KOBOeReader partition doesn't work in OS X, OS X does not talk in MBR. You have to do that part in a virtual machine like Parallels.

This is the dd and diskutil commands, maybe you could add them to the first post?

To find which drives we are going to clone to and from, diskutil list command is needed. It lists the disks. Then this two commands to take an image and restore it:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=~/Desktop/KoboSD.dmg (takes an image from the original card)
sudo newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/disk3 (cleans the new card) (optional)
sudo dd if=~/Desktop/KoboSD.dmg of=/dev/disk3 (writes the image to the new card)

Afterwards it is the same, you only need to use a Virtual Machine. Parallels trial would work well (if they still have trial).

Last edited by GERGE; 04-19-2015 at 03:26 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #197
Maartenk
Maartenk began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
Hello! Welcome to my Kobo Glo Memory Upgrade Guide!
For me it was not an upgrade - my internal sd card broke. Actually my kobo was bricked for no reason (really not my fault this time). Later I found out the microsd was the problem.

I used your guide to backup my internal microSD, which was from factory a sandisk class 4 4gb micro sd marked with a pink dot. 1.8gb unused disk area. Luckily, making the backup image on the computer worked (although it took 2 hours to make the image). After I used the steps you described to create a new internal drive on a kingston 4gb class 10, my kobo worked again.

I'm glad i didn't use my warranty, as they would have probably given me a replacement and tossed the old machine away, while only the SD was malfunctioning.

THANKS!!!
Maartenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #198
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I took my spare Glo apart to restore the original SD card, fiddled with the slider, now it works again! Although it powers off instead of putting to sleep. But it's progress. Maybe after a few more tries it'll right itself.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #199
simonrodrigue
simonrodrigue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
Hello, I have a Kobo Glo Ereader, My Micro SD card is broken, does anyone have a firmware image I can load on my new SD card? This is for Kobo Glo, tks
simonrodrigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #200
simonrodrigue
simonrodrigue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
hello, is it possible to get your kobo glo backup image, my sd card is broken, please, tks, Simon
simonrodrigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #201
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrodrigue View Post
hello, is it possible to get your kobo glo backup image, my sd card is broken, please, tks, Simon
There is a thread for that just two threads away.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #202
graveysteak
graveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Hey thanks for the guide!

Like others I had trouble with the power switch. Well I completely destroyed it lol.
I should have known better and started away from the switch.

Maybe its more an issue of kobo don't want you to easily open it rather than cost? The unit is super nice inside it even has steel inserts into the plastic case for the internal screws. Very impressed!

Anyways I've got some reed switches coming that I'm going to wire to the power switch then I should be able to power it on and off by swiping it over the magnet on my sleep cover
graveysteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #203
arunashok
arunashok began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
could somebody please share the kobo glow sd image
arunashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #204
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunashok View Post
Ask here.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:28 AM   #205
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunashok View Post
PM sent. But, let's keep this thread to topic, how to, not requesting the images.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #206
graveysteak
graveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheese

Ok my ebay reed switches came to replace the power switch i broke now I switch it on and off with a magnet. The switch is soldered across Tp57 and the ground of R289.

Also you really don't need to be near the power switch when opening it. I suggest sliding the credit card the opposite way to that of the op. Theres a really good pic the op put up which shows there's no clips over the power switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboglohack08top5.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	140890   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-09 22.44.09.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	141939  

Last edited by graveysteak; 09-13-2015 at 10:38 PM.
graveysteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:46 AM   #207
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maartenk View Post
For me it was not an upgrade - my internal sd card broke. Actually my kobo was bricked for no reason (really not my fault this time). Later I found out the microsd was the problem.

I used your guide to backup my internal microSD, which was from factory a sandisk class 4 4gb micro sd marked with a pink dot. 1.8gb unused disk area. Luckily, making the backup image on the computer worked (although it took 2 hours to make the image). After I used the steps you described to create a new internal drive on a kingston 4gb class 10, my kobo worked again.

I'm glad i didn't use my warranty, as they would have probably given me a replacement and tossed the old machine away, while only the SD was malfunctioning.

THANKS!!!

Thanks You bring up an AWESOME point. I will add lots of wording to this this weekend to indicate that it's also applicable as a repair thing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveysteak View Post
Ok my ebay reed switches came to replace the power switch i broke now I switch it on and off with a magnet. The switch is soldered across Tp57 and the ground of R289.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Also you really don't need to be near the power switch when opening it. I suggest sliding the credit card the opposite way to that of the op. Theres a really good pic the op put up which shows there's no clips over the power switch.

Thanks for this hint with the pictures! I will add this to my guide this weekend! thanks!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-13-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #208
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Probably worth mentioning.
I was bored at work yesterday and decided to upgrade my Glo memory to 32Gb (even though i barely somehow used 1Gb on stock card, including stuff like CoolReader and KSM).
After inserting a new card but before closing my Glo, i've decided to test if it works or not.
At first look, it was working great, but then i've realized that there's IR blind spot in the middle of the screen. I've looked here and there and there were no obstacles anywhere, no duct tape, dust or whatever. Finally i've decided to close Glo and look if it'll work. Surprisingly, there was no blind spot anymore and the whole screen was working nice once again.
So anyone who are easily stressed or fall into panic - don't panic if this happens to you, possibly it'll fix itself after you close your device.

P.S. Thanks for the guide, those clips are pain -_-
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:29 AM   #209
PsYcO
PsYcO began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo (N613)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterusPrime View Post
Probably worth mentioning.
I was bored at work yesterday and decided to upgrade my Glo memory to 32Gb (even though i barely somehow used 1Gb on stock card, including stuff like CoolReader and KSM).
After inserting a new card but before closing my Glo, i've decided to test if it works or not.
At first look, it was working great, but then i've realized that there's IR blind spot in the middle of the screen. I've looked here and there and there were no obstacles anywhere, no duct tape, dust or whatever. Finally i've decided to close Glo and look if it'll work. Surprisingly, there was no blind spot anymore and the whole screen was working nice once again.
So anyone who are easily stressed or fall into panic - don't panic if this happens to you, possibly it'll fix itself after you close your device.

P.S. Thanks for the guide, those clips are pain -_-
I want to say again that the backplate hold the PCB mostly in place i had that Problem with my power switch xD

and i want to say that is a great tread for this device cant find more informations in other Forums/threads, guys
PsYcO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #210
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

graveysteak
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard