Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #61
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This is the work around for epub. Right?
The two cases of kepub.epub that I described are different from that. Book 1 (margins set to greater than 0 in css) never remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position. Book 2 (no margin definition at all in the css) always remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position.
for info, I have an epub with no css file at all, and for this one the kepub.epub treatment forgets the page I was on. So it would seem that a CSS with no margin indications is necessary.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #62
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Paola,
thank you for the info. I understand that you are talking about a file with a .kepub.epub extension. If this is so, did you only rename the file? Or did you also insert the ids (for instance, span id="kobo.1.1") needed as reference points for annotations, bookmarks and so on?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #63
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Paola,
thank you for the info. I understand that you are talking about a file with a .kepub.epub extension. If this is so, did you only rename the file? Or did you also insert the ids (for instance, span id="kobo.1.1") needed as reference points for annotations, bookmarks and so on?
Hi tshering, I only renamed the file and did the "cover trick" - I am afraid joel's plugin did not work for me. But I wasn't aware of the ids, where should they go? Or, if you have a .css that works and you are willing to share, I could try and mimic that.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #64
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Hi tshering, I only renamed the file and did the "cover trick" - I am afraid joel's plugin did not work for me.
Would you consider submitting a bug report, or even let me know what failed so I can investigate it? Preferably with the error message, and using the latest code.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #65
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Would you consider submitting a bug report, or even let me know what failed so I can investigate it? Preferably with the error message, and using the latest code.
Sorry Joel, I stopped using your plugin as it did nothing at all - but perhaps i did something wrong?

Just to be sure of the steps, I disabled the original driver and enabled yours, but it just did nothing to my epubs - I'll be glad to test it for you on my mini, though could you please confirm whether it is correct to disable the standard Kobo driver plugin and enable yours?

For info, at the moment I am using andrei's "modified epub" plugin to add the "wraps" around the heading and paragraph tabs - but I get the following error message:
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.17
ERROR: Modify ePub failed: No ePub files were updated

Modify ePubs
Logfile for book ID 1033 (Paola / Unknown)
Modifying: C:\Users\pm210\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_0.9.17_t mp_jisvy6\toknyv_modify_epub\1033.epub
Trying to add kobo page markers
Paola - ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 64, in process_book
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 165, in _process_book
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 503, in _add_kobo_markers
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.bs4.__init__", line 172, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.bs4.__init__", line 185, in _feed
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.bs4.builder._lxml ", line 175, in feed
File "parser.pxi", line 1187, in lxml.etree._FeedParser.close (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:87912)
File "parsertarget.pxi", line 130, in lxml.etree._TargetParserContext._handleParseResult (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:97055)
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 294, in lxml.etree._ExceptionContext._raise_if_stored (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:8862)
File "saxparser.pxi", line 259, in lxml.etree._handleSaxData (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:93200)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xb5 in position 133: invalid start byte

ePub not changed after 0.20 seconds
but perhaps this is not what you meant?
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #66
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Sorry Joel, I stopped using your plugin as it did nothing at all - but perhaps i did something wrong?

Just to be sure of the steps, I disabled the original driver and enabled yours, but it just did nothing to my epubs - I'll be glad to test it for you on my mini, though could you please confirm whether it is correct to disable the standard Kobo driver plugin and enable yours?

For info, at the moment I am using andrei's "modified epub" plugin to add the "wraps" around the heading and paragraph tabs - but I get the following error message:

but perhaps this is not what you meant?
Actually that error report is helpful even though it's not my plugin. That means your book has badly-encoded files. I pushed a fix to my plugin hoping to address that very issue so maybe my plugin would work better for you now.

It is not necessary (and not tested) to disable davidfor's plugin with mine installed. Calibre properly detects that my plugin takes precedence. You do have to go into the plugin configuration and make sure to set the options appropriately though. The default set, although quite safe, doesn't do much at all. I'm not sure if it actually matters, but my preference would be to leave the existing driver enabled even with my plugin installed.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #67
paola
Wizard

Thumbs up

Quote:
It is not necessary (and not tested) to disable davidfor's plugin with mine installed. Calibre properly detects that my plugin takes precedence. You do have to go into the plugin configuration and make sure to set the options appropriately though. The default set, although quite safe, doesn't do much at all. I'm not sure if it actually matters, but my preference would be to leave the existing driver enabled even with my plugin installed.
it is tested now

Actually Joel, I am afraid I don't know what is that I did different, but your plugin now works, in the sense that the book is sent over with the .kepub.epub extension, it does remember where I left off and it is put in the right shelves.

The only thing that seems not to be working is the cover - I get the Kobo default one, in spite of specifying that I'd like the cover to be uploaded.

EDIT: apologies, there was a problem in the original file, covers working too - I am ever so grateful!

I do very much hope this plugin converges into the Kobo driver eventually: many thanks to David and Joel for all the good work!

Last edited by paola; 02-06-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It is safe to disable the built-in driver. And it is probably safer if you do disable it. I developed the current driver in a similar manner to you; user plugin subclassed from the existing diver. Calibre gets it right most of the time, but I had a few reports from testers that that it used the old driver. In all cases, restarting calibre fixed it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #69
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

There we have it, looks like you should disable the original driver if you use mine. I'll make sure to do that next time I start up calibre

Glad everything is working for you now
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #70
paola
Wizard

David, Joel, thanks! For the moment it works in both combinations (only Joel's plugin or both drivers), but I'll disable David's if I need to "koboify" :-)

And let me add my encouragement for the new driver to that of others: though I fully understand the right resistance some may have, the option to koboify sideloaded epubs would be invaluable to many of us: especially for reference texts, Kobo's treatment of footnotes and annotations is extremely useful, and it is not always possible to find all the books one wants on the Kobo bookshop (while there are many publishers who actually provide epubs DRM free, or just with social DRM).
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #71
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have a problem with kepub, I'm not sure if someone else has noted it. My chapter title are centered. As epub, they look centered, as kepub no.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #72
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have a problem with kepub, I'm not sure if someone else has noted it. My chapter title are centered. As epub, they look centered, as kepub no.
Interesting, although likely happening because the kepub renderer is, as far as I can tell, actually different from the epub renderer. I'm not sure what would make something that seems like a basic style fail, but I suppose that's one of the things we have to accept when we use the kepub renderer in a way that Kobo doesn't support and is officially not recommended:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
This is not a supported method of reading ePUBs. While it may render correctly the software may not interact with the book in the correct way since kepub.epub books come from the Kobo servers.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #73
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Interesting, although likely happening because the kepub renderer is, as far as I can tell, actually different from the epub renderer. I'm not sure what would make something that seems like a basic style fail, but I suppose that's one of the things we have to accept when we use the kepub renderer in a way that Kobo doesn't support and is officially not recommended:
I think the ePub is based on the ADE RM SDK and the ePub3 on technology from Access
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Is that in a purchased kepub or one that has been sideloaded as .kepub.epub? Or gone through Joels driver? For a couple of books I have purchased from Kobo, there have been some differences between the kepub and the epub versions. But, I can't compare the actual source as the purchased kepubs usually have DRM.

Quote:
While I haven't read many book loaded as .kepub.epubs, I didn't notice any real difference in display, other than font size. It would be interesting to see the book Terisa is reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the ePub is based on the ADE RM SDK and the ePub3 on technology from Access
That matches my memory.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #75
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is that in a purchased kepub or one that has been sideloaded as .kepub.epub? Or gone through Joels driver? For a couple of books I have purchased from Kobo, there have been some differences between the kepub and the epub versions. But, I can't compare the actual source as the purchased kepubs usually have DRM.
One that has gone through Joel's driver. I wouldn't have commented it here if it wasn't in that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
While I haven't read many book loaded as .kepub.epubs, I didn't notice any real difference in display, other than font size. It would be interesting to see the book Terisa is reading.
I can prepare any free book because it happens with all. And, if you remove the ".kepub"from the name, rendering as ePub center the title. The only thing I've noted is that the driver add some <span> tags with a class "kobo1.1" (or something like that) that is not included in the css.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo