Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Kobo glo and calibre: Not communicating

I have a Kobo Glo, using firmware 2.3.1 (r45611, 12/7/12) with calibre vesion 0.9.11. I'm using a PC.

This is the message that calibre lists:

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 470, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1629, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Interestingly, I was able to transfer two titles over to the Kobo Glo, but was unable to verify anything whatsoever in this process until I ejected the device.

Any help to resolve the issue would be appreciated.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Sounds like the database on your device is messed up. Did you unplug it without "ejecting" it from your computer by chance? That can mess up your database, or sometimes a bad epub can too. Easiest solution is to log out and back into your Kobo account ON THE DEVICE itself. This will cause it to rebuild the database, but also means any Kobo content will need to be redownloaded to the device and no guarantees on annotations etc.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Sounds like the database on your device is messed up. Did you unplug it without "ejecting" it from your computer by chance? That can mess up your database, or sometimes a bad epub can too. Easiest solution is to log out and back into your Kobo account ON THE DEVICE itself. This will cause it to rebuild the database, but also means any Kobo content will need to be redownloaded to the device and no guarantees on annotations etc.

I don't believe I failed to eject it. I normally eject it via calibre, rather than using the PC to do so.

I'll try your recommendation and see what happens.

ADDED: Where is 'Log out' on the device? (Do you mean 'Sign out' on the device and then 'Sign in'?)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-19-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Got it working.

Thank you, Robko.

Don
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
ADDED: Where is 'Log out' on the device? (Do you mean 'Sign out' on the device and then 'Sign in'?)
Don
Sorry, yes I did mean "Sign out". Glad you found it anyway and it worked.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but the same thing happened to me on the Mini.
And I'm positive that I've ejected the reader properly before removing the USB plug. No doubt here.

So I logged out and then logged in again, and everything seems to work just fine. I'll keep an eye on it in the next hours, though.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think that failing to eject is the only thing that can corrupt the database. But it may be one of the most common.

I think that using multiple USB devices can disrupt communication between Calibre and the Kobo and that may corrupt the databse. It is also much harder to track down.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
James R
Just this guy, you know?
James R can extract oil from cheeseJames R can extract oil from cheeseJames R can extract oil from cheeseJames R can extract oil from cheeseJames R can extract oil from cheeseJames R can extract oil from cheeseJames R can extract oil from cheeseJames R can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Touch
The same thing happened to me recently on my Kobo Touch. Signing out of my Kobo account on the Touch solved the problem, but doing that does wipe all the Kobo-purchased ebooks from the device, which it then reloads when you sign back in. Took a while when I did it.

I'm fairly sure that annotations, notes and so on were retained when the books were reloaded. However, I'm sure this would only apply to ones made up to the most recent sync of the device. So, if you're going to try this, make sure you sync your reader first.

Oh, and I'm sure that the problem was not caused by failing to eject my reader properly when it was connected to the computer.
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Well this one finally hit me this afternoon too. Instead of syncing, since I sideload all my books, is there maybe one file or even a few that you can delete from the device to force it to rebuild the database?

I sideloaded about 60 books today, they transferred fine. But when I restarted the Glo, it didn't show the new books. Turned the Glo fully off and back on, and still no new books. Reconnected it to the PC, and the books are all there. Tried to add another 2 books only, they transferred fine. Tried to add a few more, and then Calibre gave me the same message Dr. Drib received. Unplugged the device and it slowly went through processing the content, finally finished and it said my library was empty. The books are all still there, but the Kobo just isn't picking them up.

I always disconnect from within Calibre using the "eject" button, I never have more than one USB device connected at a time, never multiples.

It seems to no longer have my network password either, which is a PITA to enter...

Edit: Is there a file where your network information, including the password, is saved so that you could just copy it back to the reader when it vanishes again?

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-15-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unless you have a backup of the database, the log out and back in is the fix. That replaces the database with an empty one.

I don't know where the WiFi info is stored. I don't think it is anywhere that is easily accessible. Plus it should be encrypted so it might not be reusable without the key to that file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have a Kobo Glo, using firmware 2.3.1 (r45611, 12/7/12) with calibre vesion 0.9.11. I'm using a PC.

This is the message that calibre lists:

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 470, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1629, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Interestingly, I was able to transfer two titles over to the Kobo Glo, but was unable to verify anything whatsoever in this process until I ejected the device.

Any help to resolve the issue would be appreciated.

Don
Had this issue. had to log out of my kobo on kobo glo account and relog back in to sort it. Big pain in the ass.. Mine was a direct result of failure to eject.(sounds dirty)

works good now
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Thanks. I finally got access to the books again by copying older files I had transferred to my hard drive, but it didn't contain the password. They really need to find a better way to save network passwords. Entering a 63 character password is just painful flipping back and forth to numbers and uppercase.

I'll try transferring the sqlite file again after the password has been entered again.

Edit: Ahhh the evil update almost got me since I transferred an old copy of the "version" file without the change to read 2.5.2. Luckily the reader asked me if I wanted to install now or later, I picked later and swapped files and avoided the update hehe.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Same problem here, I am on 2.5.2, and I can't log out on the device. It accepts the command, but instead of logging out, it reboots and when I can access the menu again, I am still logged in.
I really don't want to transfer books with drag and drop, I want to be able to use the calibre plugin.....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Same problem here, I am on 2.5.2, and I can't log out on the device. It accepts the command, but instead of logging out, it reboots and when I can access the menu again, I am still logged in.
I really don't want to transfer books with drag and drop, I want to be able to use the calibre plugin.....
Logging out on the device is MEANT to do a reboot; it drops the SQL database, removes the ADE authorization and then does a reboot.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
As PeterT said, the logout does a reboot and replaces the database with an empty one. It is unusual for this not to work.

Can you connect to a PC and check the disk? Windows normally prompts if it is dirty, but scanning to make sure it is OK. If nothing change after that, you will probably need to do a factory reset.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote