Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Anyone else have problems with Duokan rendering ePubs incorrectly

I bought the 2002 edition of "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" from Amazon. I managed to get the Topaz book decrypted and took the resulting file and dumped it into Sigil and saved it as an ePub.

Each Chapter has the chapter title and name centered in bold with a nice graphic. On my wife's nook, the chapter titles display properly in the ePub.

On Duokan, the chapter name and title are off to the left, they're bold, but the same size font as the text body, and the graphic is not displayed at all.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this with ePubs? Should I be looking at fbKindle to get better rendering?

Last edited by apastuszak; 06-01-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: changed "Wife's kindle" to "Wife's nook"
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
It sounds like a conversion artifact. Are the chapter headings centered in Sigil?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

They are. And they're centered on the nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
It sounds like a conversion artifact. Are the chapter headings centered in Sigil?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm confused.
Quote:
On my wife's Kindle, the chapter titles display properly in the ePub.

On Duokan, the chapter name and title are off to the left, they're bold, but the same size font as the text body, and the graphic is not displayed at all.
How is your wife's Kindle displaying ePubs without Duokan?

If you mean the "Topaz converted to ePub" version looks different in Duokan than the original Topaz version does on your wife's Kindle... then yeah... that's to be expected, and has nothing to do with Duokan. That just comes with Topaz conversion.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm confused.

How is your wife's Kindle displaying ePubs without Duokan?

If you mean the "Topaz converted to ePub" version looks different in Duokan than the original Topaz version does on your wife's Kindle... then yeah... that's to be expected, and has nothing to do with Duokan. That just comes with Topaz conversion.
Sorry, I meant on my wife's nook. The ePub looks fine in Calibre, and looks fine on the nook, but looks bad in Duokan.

Sorry about that.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
apastuszak
Evangelist

Duokan isn't showing bullet lists properly either. No bullet in front of them. They display properly on Calibre, the nook and Fbreader for Windows.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ah, I understand.

I don't have a very recent version of Duokan, but with the few epubs I tried on it, I was never impressed enough with it's rendering to actually consider using it for anything other than just occasionally noodling around. I just choose to convert to mobi and be done with it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
apastuszak
Evangelist

When I finish cleaning up this ePub, I probably will just do a Mobi conversion. The topaz file was full of tons of svg graphics, most of which were completely unnecessary.