Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
protheus
protheus is on a distinguished road

Device: Augen TheBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskom View Post
I performed the firmware update as described in previous post. It all seemed to upgrade fine but now all it will do is boot up to the screen with the leaf and book and will not go any further can someone help?
Not sure. Have you tried a hard reset with the pinhole button on the back? I don't know if this will leave your data intact (it should, but...), so you may want to hook it into your computer first and see about backing it up.

If this doesn't work, you might try re-flashing it again. From my studies of the upgrades that Augen provided I don't think applying multiple updates or even applying the same update twice should be any problem. Let me know how it goes.

Chris
protheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Madmik
Madmik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Received new Book last week - it looks like they are shipped with updated firmware.
But guy who approved those godawful screeching page turning keys should be fired( if not stoned/shot/quartered) - those clicks and too tight tactile feeling are BAD BAD BAD...
I use joystick intead... Two more things - BTW joystick - someone forgot to synchronize joystick direction with G-Sensor, and why the hell it's impossible to change default font/font size in settings?

Otherwise I do love the device

Last edited by Madmik; 01-16-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Madmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #18
protheus
protheus is on a distinguished road

Device: Augen TheBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmik View Post
Received new Book last week - it looks like they are shipped with updated firmware.
But guy who approved those godawful screeching page turning keys should be fired( if not stoned/shot/quartered) - those clicks and too tight tactile feeling are BAD BAD BAD...
You're annoyed because the keys click and are too easy to push? Please tell me you're joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmik View Post
I use joystick intead... Two more things - BTW joystick - someone forgot to synchronize joystick direction with G-Sensor, and why the hell it's impossible to change default font/font size in settings?
Yes, those things annoy me too.

Chris
protheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #19
Madmik
Madmik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
You're annoyed because the keys click and are too easy to push? Please tell me you're joking.
No, they are too hard to push and clicking noise is really annoying...
I am working with this stuff (electronics failure analysis, keypads included) and measured tactility of lots of keypads/keys/buttons. Believe me, I've rarely seen worse than those on AUGEN...

Quote:

Yes, those things annoy me too.

Chris
I hope Augen guys read this forum and there might be at least one more firmware fix.

About font format - it's strange - device at least remembers format change for EPub files (though you still need to change format for every file you read), but not for MOBI files (resets format for every on/off)... Not biggie, though - Calibre (new version at least) works pretty well with TB, and it converts MOBI files to EPUB very nicely...

CALIBRE rulz!!!

Last edited by Madmik; 01-17-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Madmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
k4sl
k4sl began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
Very frustrated...

Quote:
Not sure. Have you tried a hard reset with the pinhole button on the back? I don't know if this will leave your data intact (it should, but...), so you may want to hook it into your computer first and see about backing it up.

If this doesn't work, you might try re-flashing it again. From my studies of the upgrades that Augen provided I don't think applying multiple updates or even applying the same update twice should be any problem. Let me know how it goes.

Chris
Chris,

I am experiencing the same problem. The init screen came up and will not proceed any further. The Book cannot be powered down. I cannot connect to the computer because the device is not working properly. How do I turn this thing off? I have tried like a computer hard power down by holding the power button. NO Joy.

Please help.

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by k4sl; 02-11-2011 at 11:53 AM.
k4sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
smitty9306
smitty9306 began at the beginning.

Device: augen the book
Hello im having the same problem as K4SL frozen at start screen. I also would appreciate any help.
Jon
smitty9306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #22
k4sl
k4sl began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9306 View Post
Hello im having the same problem as K4SL frozen at start screen. I also would appreciate any help.
Jon

Hello friends,

I am sorry to inform you that the updates are in batch form. If your serial number does not match the update, your ereader will be bricked. It must be sent back to the factory to have the entire board replaced. I worked with Augen technical people for several hours on this and they informed me if you do not have the proper update, it will have to be sent to them for repair. Mine is still under warranty thank God. The repair will be free. It is being sent to them today.

Scott
k4sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
ClaudiaJ18
ClaudiaJ18 began at the beginning.

Update

I have tried holding the Alt Key while pressing power and it does nothing and then I have to reset it to get it to power on. Any suggestions how to update or any other directions?
ClaudiaJ18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #24
Altari
Altari began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaJ18 View Post
I have tried holding the Alt Key while pressing power and it does nothing and then I have to reset it to get it to power on. Any suggestions how to update or any other directions?
If you hold Alt + Power then slip something into the reset button, it will go into the right mode for the updater.

Unfortunately, that didn't help me one bit. I bought mine today at Menard's - they were selling for $149.99 around Christmas (I was looking then), and now they're $99.99 with a $50 MIR. I figured what the heck and picked one up for myself and one for my mom. The WiFi didn't work right on mine, so I found the update, spent forever before realizing the driver won't load on Windows 7, and finally got it done...only to be left with The Brick.

I'll be going back to Menard's tomorrow to exchange it. Hopefully the next one will have functioning WiFi.

tl;dr: The update will break your e-reader!!!

PS: Any word from any of the "Linux gurus"? I'm extremely interested in replacing the existing Linux install with Android...
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #25
friopel
friopel began at the beginning.

Device: Augen
I have an augen ebook reader. doing a reset on the device since calibre would never detect it caused it not to power on again. can anyone tell me of a fix ? also I was wondering if someone could tell me where i could get the last and final firmware update for this device ? its Decmber 2011 and i'm bummed out it won't power back on. just used a pin. anyway, looking for a resolution and a final firmware update unless someone can tell me where to get unofficial firmwares.

thank you
friopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #26
dantye
Augen Orphan
dantye began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friopel View Post
I have an augen ebook reader. doing a reset on the device since calibre would never detect it caused it not to power on again. can anyone tell me of a fix ? also I was wondering if someone could tell me where i could get the last and final firmware update for this device ? its Decmber 2011 and i'm bummed out it won't power back on. just used a pin. anyway, looking for a resolution and a final firmware update unless someone can tell me where to get unofficial firmwares.

thank you
(Repeat response from another thread)
This is an orphan device and the Mfg. Web site no longer exists. Even if you could get someone to email you their copy of the last update file, if yours will not re-power from a pin reset, I doubt it could be updated anyway, so it is likely a brick. I recently purchased two of these refurbed from Newegg.com for under $50 each. I had to return one because it had a foreign language text on the ZOOM button and had a prior users email ID registered in the DRM section, and rebooting with a pin did not remove it. Best used as a media player and a reader through USB connect to free Calibre software on a PC. The wireless and browser on these are pretty much useless, and use with any DRM books seems questionable. But compatible books you can get are easily read (with color pictures) and the capabilities as a portable video player are worth the price if you happen to need that function. With a 32gb SD card added, It can hold a lot of videos, or just about every free ebook in the world! Still available from
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858507002
as of today.

P.S. Calibre can convert between several formats should you find books that do not work on this device.
dantye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #27
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Color - Gingerbread
Thanks for the update dantye.

I was considering purchasing one of these. But Im thinking that an cheap Android tablet may be a better way to go with regards to a color LCD reader.

Although $30ish is tempting.

Shame, this device has some nice physical design. The folding case and the physical keyboard would be nice on an Android tablet (although touch screen would still be a must).
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #28
noplace
noplace began at the beginning.

Device: Augen "The Book"
Can anyone tell me how to delete downloaded books? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by noplace; 01-13-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: wrong word choice
noplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #29
dantye
Augen Orphan
dantye began at the beginning.

The easiest way to delete a book from AUGEN BOOK is to connect it to your computer with USB and delete it the same as you would from any USB or SD card. Of course, if the book is already on the SD card, just move it to computer to do this.
BTW, if you were able to download a book via the Augen wireless, you were just lucky. It is SOOOO SLOOOOOW!
Since there is NO support, the Augen is best used the latest free Calibre ebook software and your computer via USB. Then, you can handle all additions and deletions through Calibre.
dantye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #30
noplace
noplace began at the beginning.

Device: Augen "The Book"
Thanks for the help.

I'm downloading nearly all books from the library. Haven't tried the wireless approach and probably won't when I can d/l a book and be reading in less than 2 minutes.

And yes, I have Calibre, just couldn't figure out how to get the books back out of TB. Duh.
noplace is offline   Reply With Quote