Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
jpaulm
jpaulm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where is TOC stored?

This is probably a dumb question, but I can't figure out where Sigil stores the TOC after I run the TOC editor. In my book, the TOC generated by OpenOffice comes after the front matter. I want to delete it, and replace it with the Sigil-generated TOC, but can't figure out how to do that. Alternatively, if the TOC is supposed to turn into a list of bookmarks somewhere on my ebook screen (I'm using Calibre), I can't see it. Could someone clarify what I should do. TIA
jpaulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can only see it in the TOC editor. It is written in the toc.ncx, which is written when you save the epub. Just make sure that your TOC entries are headers and they will turn up in the TOC editor.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
jpaulm

Thanks, Toxaris, I went looking for toc.ncx and would never have found it - its full address is C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_0.7.40_tm p_sozvac\calibre_0.7.40_kd0jln_ebook_iter\OEBPS - so it doesn't seem as if Sigil creates it - maybe Sigil creates a file with a different name and Calibre converts it to toc.ncx. As far as I can see Sigil has only created one file, namely the .epub file. There are some other folders, but they are all empty...

A (possibly related) question: when I feed an XHTML file into Sigil, should I chop it up using "Insert Chapter Break"s , or leave it intact? The final .epub file seems the same either way (?). Sorry to be so confused! Help would be much appreciated!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
At the very basic an .epub file is just a ZIP file renamed. the toc.ncx is INSIDE the .epub along with all other files required to render the epub book.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Danger is correct. The epub is a bunch of files in a specially made zip format. If you open one with winzip, you will see what we mean. That is also the place Sigil will save the toc.ncx, because according to the specification it must be there.

When you insert a xhtml file into Sigil you can do what you want with it. I personally split every chapter into a separate file, after some standard post-processing from my side. That makes it easier for me to work with and maintain.
You can do either way, the resulting epub will work. You will just have more files in the epub-file. However, please keep in mind some things.
1. Some readers have a 300kb limit. That means that one XHTML file must not be larger than 300kb.
2. A small file reads faster in a reader than a large file.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
jpaulm

That's fantastic - thanks so much, both of you! I didn't realize .epub was basically a zip file. Now that I've found the TOC, I guess I can get rid of the old one... I know this isn't the Calibre forum, but would you guys happen to know where I would see the generated TOC when using Calibre or similar packages...? Or will I only see the TOC when using an ebook device? TIA
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulm View Post
That's fantastic - thanks so much, both of you! I didn't realize .epub was basically a zip file. Now that I've found the TOC, I guess I can get rid of the old one... I know this isn't the Calibre forum, but would you guys happen to know where I would see the generated TOC when using Calibre or similar packages...? Or will I only see the TOC when using an ebook device? TIA
same place- in the epub.
calibre has an explode epub option which makes life easier -then just look for toc.ncx file, open it /edit it in notepad or similar
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulm View Post
Use Calibre's Book viewe, The TOC is view by clicking th single page icon.
If you use Firefox, there is EPUBReader plugin
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
jpaulm

Found it - that's great! Thanks a million, all of you!

Tags
toc