Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #31
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBurke View Post
Forbes gives 5 reasons why the Ipad is a joke compared to the Amazon Kindle, for instance, but the main one that stands out to me is this one :

"--IPad's LCD vs. Kindle's ugly, practical screen

Sure, the E-Ink that the Kindle's black and grey screen uses is likely years away from the video and color capabilities of the iPad. But for reading, it works--in some ways better than the iPad's LCD screen. The Kindle's passive, reflective screen technology uses only ambient light and is readable in bright sunlight. Amazon Chief Jeff Bezos has described reading on an LCD backlit screen, by contrast, as "shining a flashlight in your eyes." That's fine for composing an e-mail, browsing photos or surfing blogs, but doesn't work as well for hours of immersive reading. "

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/27/ama...rk-kindle.html

Sorry, but no serious reader of ebooks can consider an LCD based reader as anything but an utter complete joke. So, yes, if you intend to read full books, made up of hundreds of pages, like I do, the Ipad is a shiny, flashy, multimedia piece of crap. I can't see how ebook readers can take it seriously since it can't compete on the same level. The thing is obviously not made for book reading but for multimedia and stuff. Steve Jobs' outlook is or was that "no one reads books anymore". That idiot couldn't be anymore wrong. Most of us here are a living testament against that proposition. I'm currently reading a 281 page book on my prs-505 and just finished a 500 some page one. The next book I plan to read is a practical one over 1,000 pages. Try doing that on an Ipad and you will quickly change your tune.
2,000,000+ disagree. I read my law books on my iPad which are each 800-1000 pages each. I previously read them on my DX which was good, but not nearly as pleasant to read and annotate on as the iPad. Book reading for me is very enjoyable on the iPad for me
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
There's no stylus for the iPad; how would you annotate on it?
The way it works in iBooks at least is that you tap and hold a word. A pop-up menu appears with various options, one of which is "Note". Drag the selection to highlight whatever text you wish, and then tap "Note". A yellow "sticky" appears on which you can type a note with the usual soft keyboard (or real keyboard if you have one). Of course if highlighting the text is all you want to do, you can just leave it at that and not bother with the note.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KunoK View Post
Harry, I seek your advice (and value that you share your experience).
I think I will expand my reader collection, I think my choice is between Onyx 60 and one of the yet to be released pocketbooks (602, 603). You have not tried a 602 or 603, but you do have experience with pocketbook software. I am after an epub device, with a touch screen, an english dictionary which can be easily accessed using the touch screen, and best possible readabilty. I don't mind if it is good at displying DRMed epubs, as long as it is good at free epubs.
Reply from others are of course welcome as well. Any thoughts?
I think the Onyx/Neo would meet your requirements perfects. It will do everything you describe.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #34
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
There's no stylus for the iPad; how would you annotate on it?
There are plenty of third-party stylus (what's the plural of 'stylus'? 'styla'?) for the iPad. Some even function properly
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The plural is either "styluses" or "styli". It's Latin nouns ending in "-um" (2nd declension neuter nouns) that have plurals in "-a" - eg "forum" -> "fora".
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #36
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The plural is either "styluses" or "styli". It's Latin nouns ending in "-um" (2nd declension neuter nouns) that have plurals in "-a" - eg "forum" -> "fora".
Thanks.

My high school teachers would be ashamed. All this good old Catholic education, and I don't remember anything about latin...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #37
KevinBurke
Enthusiast
KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
SONY PRS-600BC

Alright, on a whim the other day I bought a SONY PRS-600BC from the Office Depot at a very reasonable price. An idiot worker gave me the 300 model ,by accident, at first, and I had to return it for the right one. I am very satisfied with the 600BC's annotation abilities, highlighting, dictionary and memo abilities etc.. I love SONY Ereaders. Only thing is the screen can get a glare to it at the wrong angles (in certain lighting environments) when trying to read it and the SONY PRS-500 never had that problem. I guess it is related to the thin sheeth they put on top of the E-ink screen for the annotation and higlhighting technology. However,I am one happy camper all and all. I like the product.

Linux is for bitches and dumb ones at that :

OpenBSD blackhole.my.domain 4.7 LAPPY#1 i386

Last edited by KevinBurke; 07-13-2010 at 04:54 PM.
KevinBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #38
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBurke View Post
Alright, on a whim the other day I bought a SONY PRS-600BC from the Office Depot at a very reasonable price. An idiot worker gave me the 300 model ,by accident, at first, and I had to return it for the right one. I am very satisfied with the 600BC's annotation abilities, highlighting, dictionary and memo abilities etc.. I love SONY Ereaders. Only thing is the screen can get a glare to it at the wrong angles (in certain lighting environments) when trying to read it and the SONY PRS-500 never had that problem. I guess it is related to the thin sheeth they put on top of the E-ink screen for the annotation and higlhighting technology. However,I am one happy camper all and all. I like the product.

Linux is for bitches and dumb ones at that :

OpenBSD blackhole.my.domain 4.7 LAPPY#1 i386
I saw your tag line. The 600 runs Montavista as an operating system which is based on a linux kernel - I'm just saying....
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, ereaders