Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What to do with your old Kindle, long term?

I've decided not to give my old K1 away for now, but now I'm kind of stuck with what to do with it. What would be the best way to store it long term? I could plug it in to an out of the way outlet and let it sit on charging, or turn the power off and pack it back up in its box and put in on the bookshelf.

Anyone have any idea on what's the best for long-term storage?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I've decided not to give my old K1 away for now, but now I'm kind of stuck with what to do with it. What would be the best way to store it long term? I could plug it in to an out of the way outlet and let it sit on charging, or turn the power off and pack it back up in its box and put in on the bookshelf.

Charge/drain the battery to 40% as that is the optimum charge for long term storage of a lithium battery. Take the battery out of the Kindle and leave it out.

You'll have to take it out every so often to charge as leaving the battery at 0% for a long period will damage it. The battery will slowly discharge by itself so you can't just leave it like that forever. Leaving it on the charger will mean you're wasting electricity and slowly wearing out the battery.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post

I use mine as my master non-computer storage. Since it can use an 8GB SD Card (some have used 16GB), I can store a lot of books on it.

I automatically download all my Kindle books to my K1 and from time to time I plug it in to Calibre and run the DRM removal plug-in.

I'll always have my K1.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Remove the battery and pack everything back into the box if you're not going to use it in the foreseeable future. You might also consider adding a silica packet to combat humidity.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks all. Setting it up as a storage device has some possibilities. If not I'll remove the battery and pack it away for now.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert