Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I CHOSE KOBO GLO

After researching and actually trying the Kindle PaperWhite, NookGlow and Kobo Glo, I chose Kobo Glo which is still hard to find in this country (US). I wanted a small reader, Kobo Mini looked great, but did not light for evening reading and I was tired of trying to sync and holding an I Pad in bed . These are my non scientific findings today..
The Nook Glow was poorly lit , with a bit of blotchiness and a large white streak at the top which would be distracting to me after a few minutes reading. The Nook Glow was nixed immediately, with no testing of it's features.
The Kindle PW had a great white screen, with a nice light but seemed a little too bright even in BestBuy. Unfortunately it is totally proprietary for Amazon books with no SD card capabilities, so I decided to keep on looking for a Kobo Glo. I"m not a geek, so I need easy..
The Kobo Glo at this time is only available in small bookstores and I was able to locate one in my town in Florida. The store clerk as quite helpful and allowed me to take it in his supply closet to test for overbrightness in the dark with the glo turned on. I was able to dim it it a perfect amount of light for nightreading. Also , the Kobo Glo uses epubs and books can be transferred via Wifi from Kobo or sideloaded from my library with a USB cable or transferred and stored on an external micro sd card. It also will accept the library books using the Adobe Digital program, which I"m not too familiar with. I had a great Black Friday playing with my new KoboGlo and look forward to hours of reading.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hee, I love it that for Americans, "hard to find" equals "there's a store in my town" (I'm not bitter.)

Enjoy your Glo!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
The Kobo Glo at this time is only available in small bookstores and I was able to locate one in my town in Florida. The store clerk as quite helpful and allowed me to take it in his supply closet to test for overbrightness in the dark with the glo turned on. I was able to dim it it a perfect amount of light for nightreading.

I had a great Black Friday playing with my new KoboGlo and look forward to hours of reading.
glad to hear you found one. even better that your money is spent supporting a small business in your home town, and if you ever have problems with the unit, small businesses seem much better at handling things than the big box stores.

enjoy your new kobo! and come visit us on the kobo boards on mobileread.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I chose a Glo as well and I'm so far very happy with it.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Enjoy your new ereader.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
DNT
DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Congrats! I got mine on black friday but didn't have a chance to use it yet.
DNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Ms M
Enthusiast
Ms M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi
dixieknits ... I currently own the Kobo WiFI and am looking to upgrade to the Glo soon..Can you elaborate on the Glo a little? Is it what you expected? How does it differ from prior models? I know you can look at them on the KOBO website, but it's kinda nice to see a true review..
Ms M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
mslick65
mslick65 began at the beginning.

Device: xoom
ME TOO!

I bought my Glo from a member of this site who didn't like the lighting. For the exact same reasons I love this reader. You wouldn't think a tablet would be that heavy but at night it gets to be! This is my first ereader and I LOVE it! I use fantasticebook.com and can download the epub files directly to the Glo. It's the best of all worlds. RECOMMENDED!
mslick65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo glo