Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Has the new firmware broken Calibre?

I have just received my Touch (but I still like my original KOBO), and it seems to me that I can upload books from Calibre beautifully UNTIL I connect to the Kobo Desktop and the latest firmware is uploaded.

Then, when I upload books from Calibre to the KT, they appear until the next reconnect, but are not "processed" to show on the Reader, even though they appear in the folder structure....

Already I have have one Factory Reset forced on me ;-)

HELP!
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Tim Legge keeps the Calibre-Kobo interactions humming along. He does this a s a volunteer--yay Tim.

I have finally accepted the idea that when there is a Kobo update, it may take a week or two of Calibre updates for the two to play nicely together. Tim is great about keeping us informed about this sort of thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
I have just received my Touch (but I still like my original KOBO), and it seems to me that I can upload books from Calibre beautifully UNTIL I connect to the Kobo Desktop and the latest firmware is uploaded.

Then, when I upload books from Calibre to the KT, they appear until the next reconnect, but are not "processed" to show on the Reader, even though they appear in the folder structure....

Already I have have one Factory Reset forced on me ;-)

HELP!
I will take a look. I have been using the beta version for several week and had not noticed any issue loading books. I grabbed the production version this morning and will test tonight.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I will take a look. I have been using the beta version for several week and had not noticed any issue loading books. I grabbed the production version this morning and will test tonight.

Tim
Well im testing it as well. Seems to work ok so far. That said wont acutally know till i eject the reader. Well no problem loading and listing books on My Kobo Touch. All seems to be working here, as well.

Btw it took 3 and ahalf minutes to send the meta data... is this going to improve down the line? (that was for one book)

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Worked fine for me.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Just as a thought, I just plugged in my KT expecting to be able to run both the Kobo Original and the KT "side by side" so to speak.

Could this be the cause of my problems???? Do I need separate databases or something for each unit?

With the KT, the uploaded books appear on the Calibre device list, but the KT itself doesn't update, and when I plug the KT back into Calibre again, the books are not there any more.

I am fairly sure that this did not happen before I upgraded to the new firmware. If all else fails, I may need to do a factory reset, I suppose.....

Thanks for the assistance - it is much appreciated!
John
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Argggg - Now I have be recommended to do a factory reset because of a database corruption - so I will try again.

Before I do - does anyone have any recommendations on what to do, or not to do??????

Thanks
John

Last edited by JBlyth; 07-15-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: I can't type ;-)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Just as a thought, I just plugged in my KT expecting to be able to run both the Kobo Original and the KT "side by side" so to speak.

Could this be the cause of my problems???? Do I need separate databases or something for each unit?

With the KT, the uploaded books appear on the Calibre device list, but the KT itself doesn't update, and when I plug the KT back into Calibre again, the books are not there any more.

I am fairly sure that this did not happen before I upgraded to the new firmware. If all else fails, I may need to do a factory reset, I suppose.....

Thanks for the assistance - it is much appreciated!
John
John, I also have had problems running both the original kobo (firmware version 1.8.3 r22907, Dec 30 2010) and the touch with calibre 0.8.9 so it looks like there could be something going on. But mine was also broken before the new firmware upgrade on the KT as I noticed it earlier in the week (haven't tried it since my KT upgraded). It did result in the books on my Kobo original disappearing off the "My reading" list but they stayed on the device itself under "Books". The error I'm getting may have no connection to yours - not sure.

My KT seems fine, but the original gives the message below. I reverted back to 0.8.7 which solved it:

Error: Error communicating with device

no such column: FavouritesIndex

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 332, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 278, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 724, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 696, in update_device_database_collections
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 611, in reset_favouritesindex
OperationalError: no such column: FavouritesIndex

I hope 0.8.10 resolves it, I haven't seen on the calibre MB that it will but like taming, I am now going to wait a few weeks before updating calibre to let some of these issues get ironed out.

And I feel for Tim - must be hard keeping up with all these changes! Thanks for all your work Tim.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:

You don't have both plugged in at the same time do you? If so, sone of them will be recognized and used while the other will not. If the original gets picked up it will get the books you transferred.

I have no issue running multiple kobos with Calibre. It simply reads/connects to which ever device is plugged in.

Tim
Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
John, I also have had problems running both the original kobo (firmware version 1.8.3 r22907, Dec 30 2010) and the touch with calibre 0.8.9 so it looks like there could be something going on. But mine was also broken before the new firmware upgrade on the KT as I noticed it earlier in the week (haven't tried it since my KT upgraded). It did result in the books on my Kobo original disappearing off the "My reading" list but they stayed on the device itself under "Books". The error I'm getting may have no connection to yours - not sure.

My KT seems fine, but the original gives the message below. I reverted back to 0.8.7 which solved it:

[I]Error: Error communicating with device

no such column: FavouritesIndex

And I feel for Tim - must be hard keeping up with all these changes! Thanks for all your work Tim.
Its no picnic

That issue should be corrected in the version released today. You can also work around the issue by connecting an older Kobo to a newer desktop version. It automatically updated the database schema even if you are at an older firmware version.

Unless you have a real need for the bleeding edge you should probably not install the latest of anything unless you need the bugs that come with it ;-)

Tim

Tim
Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Two bits of good advice there!

I've been making sure to install new Kobo Desktops when they are released with the WiFi; and yes... unless you want to be on bleeding edge, stay back level on Calibre

Tim; any way you could add some checks into the Kobo device module and present a message suggesting that the DB is back level and it should be upgraded? Maybe even a check box in the Kobo interface that would (by default) produce an error message for a downlevel database?

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Thanks Tim,

I was only attaching one reader at a time - but it is a good point.

I have now re-installed the Kobo Desktop and reset the KT - and, touch wood, all seems to be working OK for the moment.

Many thanks for the assistance everyone!
John
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Its no picnic

That issue should be corrected in the version released today. You can also work around the issue by connecting an older Kobo to a newer desktop version. It automatically updated the database schema even if you are at an older firmware version.

Unless you have a real need for the bleeding edge you should probably not install the latest of anything unless you need the bugs that come with it ;-)

Tim

Tim
Thanks Tim, we installed 8.10 on my son's PC and it has fixed the problem with the original kobo. I've left 8.7 on my laptop so I can use that with my KT for a few weeks.

Keep up the good work - we certainly appreciate it here, two kobos, android phone, Ipod - calibre keeps them all organised and allows easy transfer between them. We've just started using the content server as well - newspapers and magazines aren't available on the kobo here in New Zealand so my son set up news feeds in calibre and I can read the local newspaper every morning. Great service.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #14
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Just a wee followup.....

I can reproduce the "disappearing" act of a book I converted in Calibre it seems....
  1. Convert the book in the usual way
  2. Upload the book to the KT
  3. The book appears on the KT as expected and is mentioned in the metadata.calibre file
  4. eject the KT using the CALIBRE DEVICE EJECT Method
  5. The Windows 7 USB icon disappears as if the KT have been disconnected BUT
  6. When I then pull out the USB cable from the KT, the "disconnect" sound is heard, and the KT doesn't process the file BUT
  7. If I disconnect the KT via the Win7 USB icon rather than Calibre, the KT disconnects correctly and the new book processes as expected

This sort of implies that the KT isn't being completely disconnected by the Calibre disconnect process, books disappear and possible corruption of the databases or files is quite possible, as has happened a couple of times in the last day since I received my KT.

I will be very interested if anyone else can reproduce this "feature" - perhaps it is just my laptop.....

Cheers
John - still raining here in Takikawa Japan
Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Just a wee followup.....

I can reproduce the "disappearing" act of a book I converted in Calibre it seems....
  1. Convert the book in the usual way
  2. Upload the book to the KT
  3. The book appears on the KT as expected and is mentioned in the metadata.calibre file
  4. eject the KT using the CALIBRE DEVICE EJECT Method
  5. The Windows 7 USB icon disappears as if the KT have been disconnected BUT
  6. When I then pull out the USB cable from the KT, the "disconnect" sound is heard, and the KT doesn't process the file BUT
  7. If I disconnect the KT via the Win7 USB icon rather than Calibre, the KT disconnects correctly and the new book processes as expected

This sort of implies that the KT isn't being completely disconnected by the Calibre disconnect process, books disappear and possible corruption of the databases or files is quite possible, as has happened a couple of times in the last day since I received my KT.

I will be very interested if anyone else can reproduce this "feature" - perhaps it is just my laptop.....

Cheers
John - still raining here in Takikawa Japan
I eject via calibre all the time.. HAve never had an issue yet as to it not ejecting correctly. Yes I hear the windows disconnect, So not sure why you would have that issue.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote